“Layered” candles

Yes. Lots of times but mostly for specialty candles like holiday or valentine theme candles, etc. I usually do 3 scents in 3 different colors. I try to put together FOs that work together as well as colors that compliment each other. You can do in horizontal or vertically slanted pours.

One of my favorite candles was a rustic paraffin pillar in 3 different berry type scents; cranberry, blackberry, and cherry? I think. Instead of doing 3 different colors the candle scents were made in the same red berry color but in varying depths of color. The cranberry was a lighter reddish color, the cherry darker red, and the blackberry in a burgundy. It was beautiful and all the scents when they mingled as the candle burned down smelled awesome!

• Like 3

All of my palm container candles are layered and most of my palm pillars.  I usually do just two layers because it's easier, but I have done 3-4, just depends.  I've played around with it a bit in other waxes but prefer using palm for layers.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

All of my palm container candles are layered and most of my palm pillars.  I usually do just two layers because it's easier, but I have done 3-4, just depends.  I've played around with it a bit in other waxes but prefer using palm for layers.

I currently have a case of 3 layered/scented palm container candles leftover from last season. They weren't a big seller for me but were fun to make.

Oh that is all so fantastic! I was planning to just do natural -no color-which makes things easier. Do you really notice when the scent “switches” to the next layer, or it all sort of blends together? Btw-many times I “accidentally” create a layered candle when I forget to label the first pour or my shoddy temporarily label falls off and I forget which scent is which and get all confused!  Those are the candles I keep for home use :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I currently have a case of 3 layered/scented palm container candles leftover from last season. They weren't a big seller for me but were fun to make.

That's too bad.  Any idea why they didn't sell well?  To me, they are just so pretty it's hard to see why they wouldn't sell well, especially around the holidays.
I'm lucky in that my people are pretty much a captive audience and will buy whatever I put on the shelf.  If I take out all the other candles and put out the palm, they'll buy them without batting an eye.  I don't sell a ton of anything, but the good part is I get to make exactly what I want to make.

• Like 1

Just for fun I did a couple of layered candles....but they weren't really planned.  I melted some leftover/finished candles...poured into a large mason jar...did some more about 2 weeks later...poured them into the same mason jar..and so on..  I think I had about 5 layers in that mason...different colors...different scents.  Then I skewered a hole down the centre and stuck in a wick (can't remember which one).  It actually burnt really well...I called it my Frankencandle...😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Hey Laura....I have a very "unique" link if you want some idea's  to make some layered candles lol 

https://prankcandles.com/

• Haha 1

@Laura C this link of your's  https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/home-crafts/lavender-vanilla-geometric-candle/ has a very interesting idea for a wick centering tool.  I just bought a bunch of bags clips that work well...but soapqueen also has a good, and thrifty option!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

@Laura C this link of your's  https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/home-crafts/lavender-vanilla-geometric-candle/ has a very interesting idea for a wick centering tool.  I just bought a bunch of bags clips that work well...but soapqueen also has a good, and thrifty option!!

Garyincanada...you just saved me hours of dealing with waxy tape and wooden chopsticks! Thank you SO much! So glad I just saw the bottom of that web page. Look what I have been dealing with!! (Two Big candle in back of little machine). One on the right has 6 wicks and 1 big headache. That is my homemade template on the left. Argghhh.

364A7475-5243-4A58-BEB8-5CBFB9717FE9.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laura C said:

Holy cow @candlesinflorida, those are some huge candles. :eek2: LOL

Oh yeah, they are. That one in the pic is a bigger size than what I have done before (thus the template) and I am keeping it to test all the way until it ends. It is over a foot tall.

I bought out a huge supply of glass from a Restoration Hardware sale. I have sold a few, but also using them for branding for myself. They are amazing-scent a whole house. And stay nice and cool on the outside too.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

Oh yeah, they are. That one in the pic is a bigger size than what I have done before (thus the template) and I am keeping it to test all the way until it ends. It is over a foot tall.

I bought out a huge supply of glass from a Restoration Hardware sale. I have sold a few, but also using them for branding for myself. They are amazing-scent a whole house. And stay nice and cool on the outside too.

They are neat, I like them.