Wick testing 4630 and 464/4630 in 8oz tins

Figured I would share my findings, thoughts, and results as I go. I am finally testing things properly!!! 

So I have 8oz tins which I believe hold about 5.8oz but I did about 4oz in each as I am more concerned about the second half of the candle. The top half is usually pretty easy to wick for. Plus I didn't want to waste a bunch of wax lol. 

I did one tin with 100% 4630. Heated it to about 190° or so and poured at 150°. I meant to do 160° but I stepped away for a second and it cooled really quickly. The top is a little uneven, and I believe if I had poured hotter as intended it would've been better. 

The other tin was 2oz of 464 and 2oz of 4630 and followed the same procedure, pouring at 160° as intended. The top is smooth as glass. 

I did no color and no fragrance in both, plus no wicks so I can switch them out to try other sizes. 

IMG_20190519_123433646_HDR.thumb.jpg.e446354c9c4911604926a355ba672a6d.jpg

You can see the soy blend on the left is sightly more yellow and very smooth. 

I let them cool overnight and will be testing htp104's in both to see how they do. I will report back in a few hours! 

Excellent that you’re hitting your stride testing.

one thing I noticed is that the half way mark testing did not work well for any of my waxes 😢. I thought it was the magic bullet to hit that magical point of no return.  The problem I found was that the top half definitely impacts wicking of the second half.  Wicking fo the bottom left me underwicked many times as it does not account for the hang up in the top. 

Test these, then compare another set with a full pour. On 8 oz tins I generally get 6-6.1 oz of soy wax blends,  plus 8% fragrance (.45 oz) in each to the line which is roughly 1/2” from the rim. 6.5 oz net weight).  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I let them cool overnight and will be testing htp104's in both to see how they do. I will report back in a few hours! 

I think an HTP 104 might be a bit large for the 4630, I think an HTP 93 should be about right.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both so much for your input!! As always, very insightful. 

I meant to reply to this sooner, but I had some mega speed bumps hahaha. 

First, my wicks fell over. I was wondering if that would happen, and it did. So I probably would not recommend this method for such short, wide containers. Would probably work better with taller containers. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until the wax had cooled enough to partially solidify over the wicks, so I had to dig them out. This of course meant they were destroyed and taking the heat gun just eliminated my melt pools so that kind of made the testing pointless lol. So I decided to remelt them and repour to start over, this time with wicks in tabs firmly attached to the bottom lol. But then my 2yo got ahold of one while it was cooling spilling it everywhere. 😂 Oh my goodness lol. I finally got them fixed up and lit them with 104s again just to see. I burned them just shy of 3hrs. They look pretty under-wicked, but I actually don't think they are. I assume that with fragrance it will actually burn hotter because it seems to fuel the wick. 

IMG_20190519_225753082_HDR.thumb.jpg.7c0d59fe78f7fa2e48eec3cc0d3f1a74.jpgIMG_20190519_225826674_HDR.thumb.jpg.584c640ae001ec37c2d9e97aa2c0ada9.jpg

I definitely do want to test them from the top. After going through everything I really really felt like it would've just been better to go from the top like you said @TallTayl. @Forrest I did notice a little bit of flickering and a few puffs of smoke from the 4630 one, so I could definitely see it being over-wicked later in the burn. It wasn't anything too crazy, but I could see it getting worse. You can see the flame was a bit bigger. The blend seemed pretty good for the whole burn though. 

Look for my post about a Wickectomy. It will let you do this test with a tabbed wick very easily.

Basically I use an Apple corer to make a hole enough for the tab to fit in then thread the wick through it.

edited to add, 24 hours old is probably not enough time to get a good reading.

• Like 1

What TT said. I tried exactly what you did once with the same results, my wicks fell over. Now I use TT's Wickectomy  method. Looking at your pictures I see that same problem I have with HTP wicks, they lean in one direction and form an uneven melt pool, other than that issue I love them. If you look in the Wax and Wicks Test section I did a test with 6006 and 12 different wicks. I mention this because 6006 and 4630 tend to be similar in their wicking needs. The LX 14 & 16 results are anomalies, I'm currently doing a test in 8oz tins and getting better results.

Yes I definitely am not a fan so far of the lean that I have read so much about with htp's. I don't think there's any real way to remedy that. It doesn't help that it's only exacerbated by my inability to actually center wicks. 😂 

I decided to test wood wicks too, but I'm super nervous because I have only ever gotten flaming infernos with them. Though this is a new container and new wax as well (albeit similar). 

Almost to the end of my second 3-hr burn with the 104s... Though from the midpoint. No sooting or smoke. The melt pool does go all the way to the bottom. Not sure if that's a good thing? It would make the throw really great if it had fragrance lol! And the flames aren't too crazy. A little flickering but no smoke. 

IMG_20190520_151436686_HDR.thumb.jpg.9befdd479ac76b7c7cdc8bb1b744ff24.jpg

IMG_20190520_151457510_HDR.thumb.jpg.fa1ef2252b16abec3e5bd04c7fcc644e.jpg

I'm a little surprised the 104s are burning well, although the flame does look a smidge big.

I'm currently testing CBL 125 in 10oz tins, with HTP 73 and 83. Both are doing well, but I have a feeling the 73 will win out with it's tidy flame and shallower MP. 

• Like 1

They seem to be doing really well, but I have a sneaking suspicion that with any FO other than maybe something really heavy they would be too big for the straight paraffin. It seems pretty good in the blend though, which makes sense as soy tends to need a little more oomph. I'm going to start the wood wick testing and I think with fragrance I will might try the htp93's. 

@Sarah S how big are the 10oz jars? Is the width similar to the 8oz? With how these 104s are burning I just can't imagine going as small as 73!  We'll see though. 

The wax burns down and then out. The hotter the wick the deeper the MP, and the sooner the wick is going to fall over and extinguish itself.  You can slow that by wicking cooler, but you may not get a clean burn.  Either way, I could never use HTP's in those tins for that reason.  Also, they will burn a little differently after they've cured a bit longer. One day isn't ideal.  If you are inclined to try other wicks, zinc, LX and paper core all work great in 4630 IMO.

27 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

The wax burns down and then out. The hotter the wick the deeper the MP, and the sooner the wick is going to fall over and extinguish itself.  You can slow that by wicking cooler, but you may not get a clean burn.  Either way, I could never use HTP's in those tins for that reason.  Also, they will burn a little differently after they've cured a bit longer. One day isn't ideal.  If you are inclined to try other wicks, zinc, LX and paper core all work great in 4630 IMO.

I would rather it be slightly under-wicked with some hang up and burn safely than great melt pool and smoking like a chimney. I have heard good things about LX and zincs in this wax, but htp seemed to be the most highly recommended so I decided to try these. 

How long do you cure before just testing wicks?

14 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

They seem to be doing really well, but I have a sneaking suspicion that with any FO other than maybe something really heavy they would be too big for the straight paraffin. It seems pretty good in the blend though, which makes sense as soy tends to need a little more oomph. I'm going to start the wood wick testing and I think with fragrance I will might try the htp93's. 

@Sarah S how big are the 10oz jars? Is the width similar to the 8oz? With how these 104s are burning I just can't imagine going as small as 73!  We'll see though. 

It's exactly the same width, just deeper.

The 73 did start to mushroom a bit last night, so it might be too small after all. I'm only about a quarter way down the tin with both wicks though.

I have a bunch of Premiers I could test if I don't like the HTPs... the only cotton core I have is raw spools for pillars. Also depends on how desperate I am to perfect tins. 😂 At this point, I'm just playing with them to satisfy my curiosity.

14 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

How long do you cure before just testing wicks?

I give my 6006 2 weeks and my 4630 one week. I know the waiting is a pain, but the thing that has helped me is using the wickectomy to replace any wick that isn’t working. I would also recommend starting with a smallest wick you think will work, that way if you need to replace it you’ve burned less wax. With the wickectomy I can usually get the right wick with just one candle, even if it’s my third try.

• Like 1

Sorry I disappeared on this one!! Things got really busy at home and it was difficult to find the time to sit down and post. The 104s ended up being way too big in both by the last bit of the candle. It seems difficult to wick for because as @bfroberts said it definitely seems to burn down before it burns out. Even in the blend. I had some wood wicks so I decided to test those. Having trouble, as I always have. I called Lonestar for size recommendations, since it's their wood wick. They said medium for the paraffin, and large for the blend. I thought that sounded insane, but I decided to try medium in both. 

The blend looked pretty good, but the paraffin had 3" + flames and was smoking pretty heavily. I didn't really feel like burning my house down so I switched out the medium for a small. 

Third burn. IMG_20190528_134700270_HDR.thumb.jpg.da4a7cdb417285407e678b86629b78a0.jpg

This is the paraffin with a small wick after about an hour or so. It seems a little small to me, but the medium was way too big. Now the medium is even starting to be way too big on the blend. 

IMG_20190528_134709129.thumb.jpg.91256b40860ce33531625ca2dc39148f.jpg

It's hard to get a good picture as it is so bright. I trimmed it way down and it is a little better, but when it flickers it can get very big and releases some smoke. I just hate how with these wood wicks these are my only choices. Burn my house down or smoldering embers. 😏

Wood wicks can get out of hand fast. If you need to trim level with the wax before lighting, or trim whole burning, it is much too big😥

dial rgat back to a small and see and see if it helps. Woods are the most difficult to master I think. 

Wooden wicks sometimes are not primed well. This affects how it draws up fuel. Knock the tip off of that one that looks like it’s going out it may be plugged. I find priming with hot oil or hot wax really helps.

• Thanks 1

I like the look, the crackle but for me wooden wicks are to unpredictable no matter what wax I use. I wish there were more in between sizes as well.

Ive been pouring 4630 lately and really like this wax. It’s my first paraffin wax. The HT is great! Flamings Caramel Coconut, 8%.I’ve also blended it with 464 cause I’m curious like that! I’m satisfied for now but testing further. Premier wicks working well for me in this wax.

• Like 1

I use 6006, and I can get some good burns with the medium wood wicks in 3" containers, but they seem to be very FO specific, and I haven't been able to put a lot of rhyme or reason to it.  I can take 2 FO's that require the exact same zinc wick, and one of them will burn well with the medium ww, whereas the other will not.  Even if I use two halves of the same wick.  I've never worked up the nerve to sell a ww candle.  Maybe one day.

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Wooden wicks sometimes are not primed well. This affects how it draws up fuel. Knock the tip off of that one that looks like it’s going out it may be plugged. I find priming with hot oil or hot wax really helps.

That did the trick! Just relit for another go and knocked just the little top off and he's a cute little flame now, burning just so nicely and crackling away. 

IMG_20190528_202911491_HDR.thumb.jpg.76de2c35c90febf15e839429d8fbffbf.jpg

• Like 1