CBL 133

Oh my gosh you guys, I just saw that Candlewic has a new wax, CBL 133!!!

I am beyond excited, looking at the specs, I think it is similar to IGI 4627, which I have been wanting to try! And they have a 10 pound sample size, so I don’t have to commit to a whole 25 or 50 lbs. 

I’m driving up to PA in July, the big question is, can I wait that long to try it, or do I suck up the shipping charges and order some now? 🤣🤣

I have some serious FOMO going on!

Anyone else interested? Would you all like a review after I try it??

https://www.candlewic.com/store/product.aspx?q=c69,p1653&title=Container-Blend-Wax---CBL-133

• Like 2

@lovelyscents, it's a supposition based on the melt point and pouring temp recommendations, the congeal point, and the product description. It does have a harder needle penetration than the 4627, according to the PDS, so I'm guessing it has a slightly stiffer consistency than the 4627. I did see the PDS says that it comes in 16oz slabs or 50lbs cubes, but the product page on CW site states that it comes is a 1lb sample block, or a 50lb cube, which leads me to believe that it is closer to 4627 than 4630. 

All guessing on my part, as I haven't ordered it yet! I will be sure to give a detailed report when I get my hands on some!

Side note, they have been OOS of 125 and 130 for a couple weeks. 😱 I'm getting a little nervous that the 133 is a replacement for the two... why Candlewic, why??? 

I think I'll drop them an email to see if I can get some info.

• Like 1

Well look at you miss smartie with your congeal and needle point masters degree hehe!  If it is like 4627, only a touch firmer, I would love to try it also.  

That worries me they're oos.  That is exactly what happened to peak before they closed on us....each wax one by one slowly went oos and then never came back 😪

• Like 1

I'm interested, too.  The #1 reason I haven't switched over to CW's waxes (125 & 130) is because they are OOS so often.  Every time I visit the site with the intent to place an order, something is out of stock.  Total turn off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I definitely am impressed that their wax is so popular, a good sign but also a problem for when we need more wax.  I love their pricing on their blends in bulk with the shipping included.  Plus, freight from them is great for me so I am considering on going back to testing their blends further.  However, I have the same concerns as you with stock issues now.

• Like 1

Well, I sent them an email with less than satisfactory results.

The good news is I was assured that the 125 would be back in stock tomorrow. And the 133 was not developed as a replacement to the 125 (which was my fear).

However, they didn't answer any of my questions about 133 in comparison to 4627, or what the consistency of the 133 is like. I was told that  "the CBL 133 is not replacing the 125, just an alternative to a cheaper wax..." whatever the heck that means. Are they calling the IGI waxes cheap? 😶

I'm definitely curious, but they way they are stingy with their info is so infuriating! I don't think I'll be ordering any 133 to try until I need to replenish my regular wax supply from them. Maybe end of summer, unless I go crazy with the candle pouring this month. 😎

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

The good news is I was assured that the 125 would be back in stock tomorrow. And the 133 was not developed as a replacement to the 125 (which was my fear).

However, they didn't answer any of my questions about 133 in comparison to 4627, or what the consistency of the 133 is like. I was told that  "the CBL 133 is not replacing the 125, just an alternative to a cheaper wax..." whatever the heck that means. Are they calling the IGI waxes cheap? 😶

I'm definitely curious, but they way they are stingy with their info is so infuriating! I don't think I'll be ordering any 133 to try until I need to replenish my regular wax supply from them. Maybe end of summer, unless I go crazy with the candle pouring this month. 😎

@Sarah S I wonder if they mean that the CW blends are cheaper than other waxes?

I guess also maybe they won't tell anything because they do not want to give up secret formulas.

Oh boy,  it's crazy isn't it.

18 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Frustrating answer.
I do like the 125, and I am interested in trying the 133.  I'm using more 6006 lately so I kinda want to try the 130 too, but every single time I want to order from them, something I want is OOS.  CW is a pretty substantial outfit.  I chew my husbands head off if we run out of anything in our shop. I can't imagine why a candle supplier routinely runs out of wax.  
Do you have experience with the 130, Sarah?
This always deters me:  "CBL-130 is designed to evenly pull away from the containers walls to minimize or eliminate uneven separation."  I thought I wanted it to adhere to the container, not pull away.

19 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Frustrating answer.
I do like the 125, and I am interested in trying the 133.  I'm using more 6006 lately so I kinda want to try the 130 too, but every single time I want to order from them, something I want is OOS.  CW is a pretty substantial outfit.  I chew my husbands head off if we run out of anything in our shop. I can't imagine why a candle supplier routinely runs out of wax.  
Do you have experience with the 130, Sarah?
This always deters me:  "CBL-130 is designed to evenly pull away from the containers walls to minimize or eliminate uneven separation."  I thought I wanted it to adhere to the container, not pull away.

I have used the 130, and I like it a lot. It is firmer than 6006, which is a positive to me. Yes, it does completely pull away, so zero wet spots! It's not enough to rattle in the container, just enough to create a visually even surface. The down side of that is, as it reaches a full MP,  the liquid wax will seep down the sides between the wax and the jar wall. So it creates wet spots as it burns, if that makes sense. It wasn't bad enough to really bother me, and I seriously doubt anyone but a chandler would even notice.

It is frustrating that they are so frequently OOS. I've never had a real problem with it, usually they get things back in stock quickly, and I've never been in an emergency order situation. But I can absolutely see how it would be an issue for business owners with high demand. Last time I got a case of palm wax from them, the pay were out of the giant bags of it, so they gave me (11) 5 pound bags instead. 😂 Worked out great for me!

• Thanks 1

CBL 133

Melting Temperatures: 175° F (+/-5°F)
Pouring Temperatures: 145-150° F (+/-10°F)
Fragrance Loads: 3-10% Higher fragrance percentages need to be tested
Cooling: Ambient (70-75°F)
Congealing point (ASTM D938) at 125-133F.
Wick Recommendation: RRD, ECO, CD & HTP Series

igi 4627

Wax Type Paraffin
Appearance Smooth, Opaque
Max Fragrance 12% or 2oz./lb.
Applications Container / Tealight
Pour temp 180° (+/-5°)
Oil Content .4
Melt Point 125°
Prop 65 Warning Required No

IMG_0002.thumb.PNG.01bbad64f2ef9b1dc9ed70c9f6f881af.PNGIMG_0003.thumb.PNG.2766ca3c1584e1d6cb36a667cd248521.PNG

They seem pretty similar to me. I forget which site I got the PDS for the 4627 from...maybe Lonestar? The congeal point for both is very close. I could absolutely be wrong, and Candlewic certainly isn't being helpful, I'm just observing that they seem very similar in the way 125 and 4630 are similar, or 130 and 6006.

Whatever wax base they are starting with, Candlewic has undoubtedly customized their product to meet their specific specifications.

I use the CW CBL 130 and even though I only dabble now, it really is sad that it is oos, I need to make some gifts for a road trip in July. I might switch back to 6006.

@bfroberts I never had an issue with the wax pulling away from the jar. The wax itself made nice candles, and it said it was close to J300 which I had used in the past.

8 hours ago, Karen M said:

I use the CW CBL 130 and even though I only dabble now, it really is sad that it is oos, I need to make some gifts for a road trip in July. I might switch back to 6006.

Bill assured me via email that the CBL 130 will be back in stock on June 14th and that they will have plenty in stock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karen M said:

@Lizzy Have you heard any news on the CBL 130?

Still says oos.

No, sorry I have not. I emailed them last week and they said it should be back in stock on the 14th with plenty to be had. He stated there was some issues with the equipment.

I was hoping it would be available by now. :(

CW.jpg

2 hours ago, Karen M said:

@Lizzy Have you heard any news on the CBL 130?

Still says oos.

No, sorry I have not. I emailed them last week and they said it should be back in stock on the 14th with plenty to be had. He stated there was some issues with the equipment.

I was hoping it would be available by now. :(