How/why to buy direct from the manufacturer?

This will seem obvious to many experienced people on here-forgive me for that.

But with so many "middlemen" selling FO, it might be very diluted, is that correct? I am wondering how to get the most concentrated, strongest FO.

And so I am wondering where to find the list of the actual FO big manufacturers and if it is "worth it" to go that route. I imagine there are several places like AFI, that only sell in large quantity?

But.., it sounds like we all DO buy large quantity FO. In fact, I have purchased a big ol gas-can-size from AFI before. 

So is there a reason we don't "skip" the middleman and just buy direct from the manufacturers? Or do the middlemen own the recipes, in many cases? Do they dilute a lot (in general?) Or we like to "sample" things and don't want to commit to such larger sizes of FO?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions. Just trying to move from little batches...to bigger batches...wisely. And want to be sure I am buying the most potent FO.

For most of us it is the quantity of each scent you would need to buy.  They don't want to deal with the small operations.  Some of suppliers we buy from do cut the oils and some do not.  Many, Many of the supplier we buy from "own" their scents, so the mfg will not sell you what they have.  It's trial and error but there is the fragrance oil review by supplier section here on the forum that will tell you which fo's work and which do not.  It hasn't been going for a long time but the fragrance one has it just takes more searching.  There are also many threads about "favorite" suppliers.

24 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

For most of us it is the quantity of each scent you would need to buy.  They don't want to deal with the small operations.  Some of suppliers we buy from do cut the oils and some do not.  Many, Many of the supplier we buy from "own" their scents, so the mfg will not sell you what they have.  It's trial and error but there is the fragrance oil review by supplier section here on the forum that will tell you which fo's work and which do not.  It hasn't been going for a long time but the fragrance one has it just takes more searching.  There are also many threads about "favorite" suppliers.

I will now delve into those sections - thanks :)

I have just found a manufacturer who will take any scent (one ounce) and create a duplicate for no charge. And the minimum of 25 lbs will be lowered (for a slightly higher per pound price )...and I can have control over the dilution. Message me if you want the info and I will share.

Edited by candlesinflorida
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've wondered about this as well.  I was looking at one manufacturer that sells in  quantities of 10 pounds.   There is one fragrance I have already purchased 7 pounds of at $23.95/lb.    The manufacturer sells at $12.50/lb. 

Currently, I only have 3 fragrances to retail.   I have already noted some differences between fragrance oils.  Trying to carefully assess information here on suppliers.

• 1 month later...