No hot throw with Love Spell

Hi all!

Burning Love Spell from Aztec at 7% in 464/Lab Co. coconut wax. I’ve used this blend with great luck, same jars.

Eco 10 in an 8 oz. square. 

There is also a small crack running through the wick. This is a 4 week old candle. 

Thanks for your wisdom!🌸

DF55AEA7-4BF7-4162-A41D-C83B25B66E91.jpeg

When I used to blend 444 + coco, I often got "the mouth" which is what I named that type of gaping sinkhole beneath the surface.  I never quite nailed down the precise conditions that caused them or reliably prevented them in that blend although they were rare for me when I poured in the warm summer months.   Eventually I just poked all my candles to look for them and that became a habit for me when I made any candle.

re: your missing hot throw- is this the 1st time you've used an eco 10 in that candle/fo set up? My 1st hunch would be to test other wicks.

• Like 2

Ok, I wonder if the crack is due to the wax combo and a long cure. Are you saying the crack may be a sink hole?

I normally use eco wicks, cd at times and premier which has been doing well with my blend.

Thanks pughaus for your insight, I will change the wicks and start there.

Yeah, that huge "mouth" (good description @pughaus) is a cooling issue.  The sides want t stick to the glass while the insides cool much more slowly and shrink.

As for throw, that is the art part of chandling. ECO may be too "hot" or too "cool" in the spectrum.  I'd give CD a try. Or CDN.

• Like 1

It may fill itself in with the melted wax from your last burn or it may get bigger - you never know what lurks beneath ! 👻  If I were you I'd grab some chopsticks or something similar and poke some holes into and around that mouth all the way to the bottom of the container

and then heat gun the top till the melted wax fills in the holes.  Then you won't have to worry about that mouth anymore. lol  The sinkholes are annoying but fixable.

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 2

Yes as it solidified the crack is gone for now. Time to poke holes. 

I do love Lab Co wax on its own but never cared for 464 on its own which is why I started blending.

Its possible my technique has changed slightly, I’ll have to keep consistent, thank goodness for my notes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, pughaus said:

It may fill itself in with the melted wax from your last burn or it may get bigger - you never know what lurks beneath ! 👻  If I were you I'd grab some chopsticks or something similar and poke some holes into and around that mouth all the way to the bottom of the container

and then heat gun the top till the melted wax fills in the holes.  Then you won't have to worry about that mouth anymore. lol  The sinkholes are annoying but fixable.

After seeing a few sink holes over the last couple of days I just ordered an ice pick for this very purpose.

• Like 1