Lip Balm base ?

Sorry, I make my own!

Generally, I have had a good experience with B&B bases from Bramble Berry and RE, and I have ordered the hand sanitizer from BC before. It was good quality, FWIW.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

I'm not sure if I want to make the expenditure into gathering all the different ingredients right now, until I see if they will "go" here. If I were still making soap it wouldn't be that much of a no brainer, but right now I'm just thinking about getting back into business after a very long time out. Trends and what sells now , has changed so much from when I was active but I have to take into consideration I'm in a podunk area now where a large portion of the population thinks if it's higher than a WM price, they won't buy it. Didn't have that issue years ago living in Gatlinburg but south Alabama is a whole different beast.

• Like 1

I have used Nature's Garden and Brambleberry.  I like them both.  I do add a few ingredients of my own to them.  I'm not too fond of the container that the BB base comes in. Once I did my tweaking to them I did not notice much difference between the two.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to buy the base but handmade is so much better and totally worth the time and expense. Before I made my own I loved C&S organic botanical lip balm base. Out of all the bases I tried, it was the best and had the very best certified organic extracts and botanicals in it. Unfortunately they no longer have that one but they do have another they sell which is nice.

I have also used the one from EBB which is similar to C&S current base.

But if I were going to buy a lip balm base I would go with something more natural and definitely an upgrade like Aquatech's lip balm base or Rain Shadow Lab's Creamy or Moisturizing bases. 

Make your own! It’s easy and you can really fine tune it. The problem with premade is depending on the flavoring it can make a lip balm too soft depending on the flavor and how much you have to add, then it’s a big pain figuring out the percentage of additive to get consistency just right. Zillion recipes out there" doesn’t have to be exotic 10 ingredients. You can do easily with two ingredients.

Along this same line can someone point me in the right direction for Lipstick base, like date night lipstick stuff? 
I'mma need some direction on how to make eyeshadow and blush pressed into them little metal pans. 

(OH MY GAWD!!!! WHAT HAS BECOME OF ME!!!!!???) 

Help me! Help ME!!! 
giphy.webp?cid=790b76115cfa5ab6503249726

Thank you for your support... 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Making Girlfriends HAPPY and some other junk that I can't remember anymore... Bad soap and.... I dunno

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TallTayl said:

@Sponiebr tkb trading

That's EXACTLY where I started GMTA.

I just have ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT about what these products should or should NOT be like because I have NEVER used them. Chapstick is as close to a lipstick as I've ever used. 

I feel like the first guy the American Government came to and said... "SO! We're going to the MOON, and YOU'RE the guy that's gonna make it happen!" 

But  have something old rocket man DIDN'T have... 

YOUTUBE! 
I'm SURE I can figure this out... 
Well, I might be able to get SOMETHING usable out of my endeavors. 

FIRST things FIRST! What goes into that stuff you girls pat onto yer beautiful lil faces? Mica, Oxides, I would THINK stearic acid... but what ELSE? If I can figure blush out lipsticks should be fairly straight forward... Blissful ignorance feels AN AWFUL LOT like HOPE! 

Cheers, 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Whatever I gotta be... I do what it takes, 'n junk... 

• Haha 3

@Sponiebr try makingcosmetics.com. They have the supplies, and some good recipes as a starting point.  Date night lipstick is tough, because you  need rich pigmentation with even distribution and as little settling or migration as possible. All without compromising slip or lubricity. Me, I’d try to convince the lady to go with a nice tinted lip gloss. 😂😂

• Like 3

I bought a cosmetics book at a soap conference recently.  Let me see if I can dig it up.  Had amazing info and recipes.

tkb has bases, and additives for mineral makeup, etc.

i like makingcosmetics aside from everything I need from them being available in ginormous quantities 🙄 

lipstick is tough. It needs a crap ton of pigmentation, which makes the texture difficult.  Colored lip balm will get you going, then You can tweak away. Generally lipsticks contain harder waxes that create a gel network and also prevent syneresis (think ozokerite, rice bran, candelilla, etc. versus beeswax.) it needs to remain stable through hot and cold cycles in purses, pockets, etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sarah S said:

@Sponiebr try makingcosmetics.com. They have the supplies, and some good recipes as a starting point.  Date night lipstick is tough, because you  need rich pigmentation with even distribution and as little settling or migration as possible. All without compromising slip or lubricity. Me, I’d try to convince the lady to go with a nice tinted lip gloss. 😂😂

NO! I won't compromise on those at all! Completely counterproductive. 

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I bought a cosmetics book at a soap conference recently.  Let me see if I can dig it up.  Had amazing info and recipes.

tkb has bases, and additives for mineral makeup, etc.

i like makingcosmetics aside from everything I need from them being available in ginormous quantities 🙄 

lipstick is tough. It needs a crap ton of pigmentation, which makes the texture difficult.  Colored lip balm will get you going, then You can tweak away. Generally lipsticks contain harder waxes that create a gel network and also prevent syneresis (think ozokerite, rice bran, candelilla, etc. versus beeswax.) it needs to remain stable through hot and cold cycles in purses, pockets, etc. 

Then add to that the weird little $300 MOLD to make the damned things and, all of the sudden I'm like: "Hey Bae!!! Maybe it's Maybelline!?" I was just thinking with the crap tons of mica's and oxides I have on hand that at least blush should be doable. 

MAYBE nail polish would be a wiser choice? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, TallTayl said:

Make the lipstick in the tall skinny lip balm tubes. Several brands do that and it’s totally chic. 

Nail polish is a pain. 3 free, 5 free, HAZMAT. 😜

Well, it's moot now. The principle object for my endeavors has left. I got had... AGAIN.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Well, it's moot now. The principle object for my endeavors has left. I got had... AGAIN.  

Her loss. Keep tackling it just to challenging yourself. Soap and a good lip treatment go well together. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:32 AM, TallTayl said:

Her loss. Keep tackling it just to challenging yourself. Soap and a good lip treatment go well together. 

Did I ever tell you I adore you TT?
No?
Well I adore you TT. ❤️

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas, Sundry Services, and Losing Women...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 7:13 AM, Sponiebr said:

That's EXACTLY where I started GMTA.

I just have ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT about what these products should or should NOT be like because I have NEVER used them. Chapstick is as close to a lipstick as I've ever used. 

I feel like the first guy the American Government came to and said... "SO! We're going to the MOON, and YOU'RE the guy that's gonna make it happen!" 

But  have something old rocket man DIDN'T have... 

YOUTUBE! 
I'm SURE I can figure this out... 
Well, I might be able to get SOMETHING usable out of my endeavors. 

FIRST things FIRST! What goes into that stuff you girls pat onto yer beautiful lil faces? Mica, Oxides, I would THINK stearic acid... but what ELSE? If I can figure blush out lipsticks should be fairly straight forward... Blissful ignorance feels AN AWFUL LOT like HOPE! 

Cheers, 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Whatever I gotta be... I do what it takes, 'n junk... 

Looking through old posts. I forgot how damn funny you are 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2019 at 6:40 PM, Moonstar said:

Do you use castor oil in your recipe 

I've been toying around with lip balms for personal use.  Since I don't use much, I've done very small batches just to see what I can come up with that is suitable for me.  On my last round, I partially used coconut oil along with castor oil, but on previous tries, I only used castor oil. 

For what it's worth, here is my VERY small batch recipe, which could probably still stand some improvement or changes ...

1 t. beeswax

1 t. candelilla wax

1 T. castor oil

1 T. 76 degree coconut oil

• Like 1