Can I keep a candle in the refrigerator?

I’ve been thinking about the effects of temperature on cure time. My theory is that candles will cure faster higher temps will speed up the curing process while lower temps will slow it down. There is good science behind this theory, but it needs testing, So my plan is to make two, identical candles with 6006 and put one in the fridge and one in the garage, wait a month and see which one has the best HT. I’ll be using 8oz tins. Does anyone know of any issues with storing a candle in the fridge for a month? Does anyone have any experience with cure time as it relates to temperature?

Some waxes, like many soy blends, tend to crack when exposed to lower than manufacturer recommended temps for any length of time.  

(Makes it a challenge for Northerners to make soy and soy blends during the winter months... )

sounds like a fun experiment. 

• Like 1

You may also notice some adhesion issues. Extreme temperature fluctuations can cause the wax to pull away from the sides of the container more. If you are using tins, this may not be as big of a deal but something to keep in mind still. 

Edited by runner14jc
  • Like 2

I have seen a couple wax manufacturers state not to do anything that quickly cools their wax, I guess because of the cracking or pulling.

I am very curious to see your results.

I have been obsessed with mixing and pouring temps and have done are sorts of litttle experiments with a microscope to see what temps are necessary to get the FO to properly bind with the wax. 

Interestingly, I saw a video from candle cocoon that used a heat gun AS the mixing was happening...to keep the mixture hot for bettwr blend and HT. It takes a little coordination! They also say to swirl to create a whirlpool so the FO doesn’t sit at the bottom. (While holding a heat gun in the other hand!) 

not directly related to curing-but I sure do like experiments!! 

• Like 1

Hmm. Here’s my take on curing. If the fragrance doesn’t take pretty much on the get go, it’s not worth spending an inordinate amount of time waiting for magic. I don’t think companies put candles on their shelves like they age wines, and then take out batch year 2017 to sell when ready. Some fragrances just are NOT going to be great in candles. It’s like soap making. Some fos work fantastic in cold process others are completely dead in the water after salonification.

When perfumers mix their blends there is always a waiting period/cure to get the end result. They are never judged right after they are mixed. I use the same technique when I blend f.o. and essential oils. I don’t think candles are excluded from this process at least in my experience. I was so ready to put many f.o. on my reject list only to find out a month later 99% have great ht. But wicks also matter.

yesterday I lit a candle with a strong ht using an eco wick. I switched the wick to numerous premier wicks of various sizes with close to nothing ht. I guess I’m in the camp of long cures and try numerous wicks.

Forrest, your experiment sounds interesting!🌸 

• Like 1

I will say I think cure times are not as important as suppliers seem to like to make us think. I have made soy candles with certain fragrances that are pretty strong with a fantastic burn after just a few days of cure. I have also made soy candles that still have 0 throw or weak throw after a year and a half. Those are just my personal experiences though, so take them with a grain of salt. 🤷🤣

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I store candles in my basement and it is a lot cooler there, not refrigerator cold, but maybe 57 in the winter. I didn’t find any difference in HT in candles stored in basement or upstairs in the warmer temps.

During the winter months while I am doing weekly markets and craft shows I just leave my cases of candles in the trunk of my car. So they are stored in the winter in anywhere from 0 - 50 degrees. Most of the winter thou is below freezing during the night hours. Never had any problems with the candles. But have not noticed that they smell particularly better or stronger throwing for it. I use container palm if that helps.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Candybee said:

During the winter months while I am doing weekly markets and craft shows I just leave my cases of candles in the trunk of my car. So they are stored in the winter in anywhere from 0 - 50 degrees. Most of the winter thou is below freezing during the night hours. Never had any problems with the candles. But have not noticed that they smell particularly better or stronger throwing for it. I use container palm if that helps.

That makes sense; the wax is already a solid, so it won’t change state, and the FO is an oil so it isn’t likely to freeze. I suspect curing would be slower at 0, but I’m not sure it would make enough difference to notice. Curing will stop altogether at -459, but you would be burning those candles for heat long before it got that cold in your trunk.