Jars

Hello wonderful people!! I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question or 2 😊. I’m currently testing 464 w/8oz jelly jars, using 6% FO and 3 different wicks. I found out that I overwicked big time. I used a CD 10,12,14.... I am going re-test using CD 8 and 10s. For some reason I feel like because the jars are tall and kinda skinny, there is going to be black smoke/soot on them anyways. Again, I’m new to candle making and don’t know anything. I’m thinking about switching jars and going to 8 or 9 Oz straight sided jars but not sure. I know I have to test test test and more testing. I want to know if anyone uses jelly jars and if so even with the correct wick is there black soot on the jars as the candle burn low?!?! 

Thanks in advance. 

You have the right mindset: test.

But asking for advice or other people's experience doesn't hurt. I do think slight black soot is inevitable no mater what, at least near the end. I love CD wicks. People say they burn too hot, but I've found them to be superior to LXs and HTPs. (I can't speak for ECOs.)

If CD 8 doesn't work, re-test with 12. From my testing, CD 10 will burn hotter and a bigger melt pool than 12. I don't know why...

All said, I do use straight sided jars, but I doubt it'll make a major difference.

3 hours ago, Sheree00 said:

Hello wonderful people!! I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question or 2 😊. I’m currently testing 464 w/8oz jelly jars, using 6% FO and 3 different wicks. I found out that I overwicked big time. I used a CD 10,12,14.... I am going re-test using CD 8 and 10s. For some reason I feel like because the jars are tall and kinda skinny, there is going to be black smoke/soot on them anyways. Again, I’m new to candle making and don’t know anything. I’m thinking about switching jars and going to 8 or 9 Oz straight sided jars but not sure. I know I have to test test test and more testing. I want to know if anyone uses jelly jars and if so even with the correct wick is there black soot on the jars as the candle burn low?!?! 

Thanks in advance. 

Can’t answer the specific jelly car ? Bc I only use straight sided tumblers but wanted to tell you that candle science has an excellent wick chart. You can either plug in your wax and jar diameter and it will calculate the best wick size -or just click to see the whole entire chart. Good luck! 

On 5/13/2019 at 6:07 PM, bktolbert said:

You have the right mindset: test.

But asking for advice or other people's experience doesn't hurt. I do think slight black soot is inevitable no mater what, at least near the end. I love CD wicks. People say they burn too hot, but I've found them to be superior to LXs and HTPs. (I can't speak for ECOs.)

If CD 8 doesn't work, re-test with 12. From my testing, CD 10 will burn hotter and a bigger melt pool than 12. I don't know why...

All said, I do use straight sided jars, but I doubt it'll make a major difference.

Thanks. Do use 8oz or 9oz? Where do you purchase from? I’m thinking about switching from my jelly jars. I don’t want to make the switch to soon. I know I have to test, test, test lol. 

IMO you're not going to see a huge difference between a 8oz jar and a 9oz jar, and not a big difference between a jelly jar and a 8oz straight sided jar. Same material, same wax capacity, close to the same mouth diameter... the burn is going to be very similar.

Expect to see a difference if jumping to a vessel with a significantly wider diameter, like a tureen, or a bigger capacity, like a 16oz straight jar.

Not trying to discourage you, if you're not happy with the jelly, by all means try something different. 🙃 Just set realistic expectations, lol.

That being said, I don't use 464, or CD wicks, so I can't offer specific advice.

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

IMO you're not going to see a huge difference between a 8oz jar and a 9oz jar, and not a big difference between a jelly jar and a 8oz straight sided jar. Same material, same wax capacity, close to the same mouth diameter... the burn is going to be very similar.

Expect to see a difference if jumping to a vessel with a significantly wider diameter, like a tureen, or a bigger capacity, like a 16oz straight jar.

Not trying to discourage you, if you're not happy with the jelly, by all means try something different. 🙃 Just set realistic expectations, lol.

That being said, I don't use 464, or CD wicks, so I can't offer specific advice.

Thank you Sarah! I appreciate your feed back, I’m still learning all of this. I enjoy making the candles it just can be a little frustrating trying to get a good candle lol. I’m going to get there though. 

21 hours ago, Sheree00 said:

Thanks. Do use 8oz or 9oz? Where do you purchase from? I’m thinking about switching from my jelly jars. I don’t want to make the switch to soon. I know I have to test, test, test lol. 

Tbh, I use 16oz straight-sided jars from Fillmore:

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/a16-11c-case12ct-12-oz.html

I've used the 8oz (too small) and 9oz straight-sided jar early on. I believe they have the same mouth opening, so the wick wouldn't change. My most helpful hint when I was testing out wicks in the beginning was to make a wickless candle. Take a toothpick or a skewer and make a hole for a wick. Put in the wick and let it burn. Pull it out if it didn't reach full melt pool within 3 hours, let the wax harden, and repeat with a bigger wick. You can apply the same logic to go down wicks too.

Edited by bktolbert