restaurant dishwashing glass racks for candle cooling

Hey All -

Has anyone noticed some larger indie candle companies starting to use restaurant glass racks for their candle cooling instead of bakers racks and trays? Any one else use them and have any feedback?

Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.32.47 AM.png

• Like 2

That's interesting and something to consider. Looks like a good idea as long as it doesn't adversely effect jar adhesion. Looks like it would allow the candles to cool slowly and evenly and maybe put a piece of cardboard over the top too. IDK, just thinking out loud. LOL

Edited by Laura C

16 minutes ago, Laura C said:

That's interesting and something to consider. Looks like a good idea as long as it doesn't adversely effect jar adhesion. Looks like it would allow the candles to cool slowly and evenly and maybe put a piece of cardboard over the top too. IDK, just thinking out loud. LOL

Thanks for the thoughts! The racks stack on top of each other and kind of lock into each other. :)

I'm guessing they're better for space and cooling... but would love to hear from someone that uses them

• Like 1

I've seen a few candle companies use those as well.  I imagine they stack nicely which could also help with cooling and proper airflow.  I just use a baking rack and transfer all of my candles to that.  Mostly because I have zero space in my basement studio.

26 minutes ago, GarthAlgar said:

I've seen a few candle companies use those as well.  I imagine they stack nicely which could also help with cooling and proper airflow.  I just use a baking rack and transfer all of my candles to that.  Mostly because I have zero space in my basement studio.

Yup - I'm super low on space too. I think these might stack more closely together so that you can get more candles per rack as opposed to the bakers rack that you have to use the rails.🤔

6 minutes ago, c_gills said:

Yup - I'm super low on space too. I think these might stack more closely together so that you can get more candles per rack as opposed to the bakers rack that you have to use the rails.🤔

Totally.  And, you would get some nice back workouts from lifting 25 candles at once.  If you get some, keep us updated on how they do!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GarthAlgar said:

Totally.  And, you would get some nice back workouts from lifting 25 candles at once.  If you get some, keep us updated on how they do!

Guess I would have to do arms days any more 😜 Will do!

• Haha 2

Looks like it is easier to move the restaurant racks, without the candles hitting each other.

I actually just let the candles cool on a piece of newspaper on the counter (which is marble) and then put them in the cardboard divided boxes that the containers came in! Now I wonder if I am missing out on better cooling options! But it seems to work fine without doing anything special.

• Like 1

I picked up a couple from a place that went out of business.  They are great for certain jars, some didn't fit.  I did like the security of not tipping and that I could easily move the candles.  It also seemed to insulate some for slower cooling.  I only used when making a lot of candles at one time, 24-48 was a lot for me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

Looks like it is easier to move the restaurant racks, without the candles hitting each other.

I actually just let the candles cool on a piece of newspaper on the counter (which is marble) and then put them in the cardboard divided boxes that the containers came in! Now I wonder if I am missing out on better cooling options! But it seems to work fine without doing anything special.

I keep my cardboard boxes that have the dividers too, they're so handy. You and this post just gave me an idea, don't know why I never thought of it before. You can use those boxes with the dividers just like those restaurant racks. Why not? Next time I make candles, I need to try it. I don't normally have much trouble with wet spots though. I've been using either baking sheets or melamine serving trays padded/insulated with old towels so the candles aren't setting on a cold surface.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 3:17 PM, NightLight said:

I keep all the cardboard boxes for storage as well. Sheet trays are good too. I cool on bakers cooling racks. 

Oh, yes, I love using trays. I'll even stack trays of candles in boxes or containers for storing and quick access.

Edited by Laura C

For me I wouldn't have room on my counters for that size of rack. I would also be nervous about hitting it by accident. All it would take would be one push and all the candles would be bumped too. If you have the space it could be a good idea. I just don't.