Paraffin thoughts?

On 5/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, TallTayl said:

Soy (and other natural waxes) do contain a range of moisture. Some cases you open and they feel noticeably wet, while others are crispy and dry. This throws off wicking really badly.  I’m sitting here frustrated that it happened again, with C1 this time. My new cases are initially several sizes off from my last lot. 😖🙈 I will need to age this wax a few months to see if that changes (which I suspect it will).

This is so frustrating to hear, as I have been testing C-1. Anyway:

I think it was you, a while back, that said something about tempering the wax to get the moisture out. Is this correct? Would that work for your current situation with C1?

Also, like it’s been asked, what time point do you wick for if the wax continues to change as it cures? Do you wick for 2 or 6 months and let that much inventory sit around before you sell?  Or do you still sell it, say, at 3-4 weeks just knowing it will only burn better as it ages?

Thats my confusion. If the candle is going to burn differently as it ages, then at what point do you sell it? Am I overthinking it? 

Some people are saying you you will find in say 6 months it needs to be wicked up or down. Well, seems you have a choice to make. Wick for now and sell quick, hoping they burn it soon. Or wick for later and sit on tons of inventory for a few months. And, if that’s the case, how do you expand to a larger scale with that kind of business model?

On 5/12/2019 at 6:36 PM, candlesinflorida said:

Thanks everyone! I started experimenting with one 10 lb bag of paraffin wax, just to see if the scent throw was possibly anything particularly exciting. In my experience, it wasn't. But I was wondering if shipping from overseas/shelf life was a big factor. Thx for the input :)

Like anything else it takes time and experience to make a great scented and safe candle. Take your time. If you've just started experimenting with paraffin how do you know what works and what doesn't? Its hard to get all that out of just one 10 lb bag. Don't judge a wax until you know it inside and out. Paraffin wax will make an excellent scented candle if you learn how to work with it.

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

Like anything else it takes time and experience to make a great scented and safe candle. Take your time. If you've just started experimenting with paraffin how do you know what works and what doesn't? Its hard to get all that out of just one 10 lb bag. Don't judge a wax until you know it inside and out. Paraffin wax will make an excellent scented candle if you learn how to work with it.

Good advice.

I started out with soy wax about 4 years ago...then about three years ago, I tried to see what the fuss was all about with paraffin and bought a few different brands. It was all a big fail. Maybe I did it all wrong back then.

So now that I am a more of an experienced chandler...I thought I would re-visit paraffin. I imagine that there are better choices than the ones I have used. But I am also a bit concerned with the health issues of breathing in petroleum. I don't want to start a whole paraffin controversy thread-and I have no scientific info. at hand...and maybe I would be ok with the unknown risks, if paraffin were way, way better than soy for me. Maybe I should just stick with soy/coconut/apricot...although I keep wondering if paraffin has better CT and HT and I might be missing out!

There are many positives using paraffin. Look for those articles online, they are helpful. candles.org for one. Studies have shown all waxes are subject soot. If paraffin wax was hazardous we’d all be sick. If anything fragrance oil may cause issues more than wax IMO but research also shows this. But the amounts of fragrances is pretty small over all. 

Sometimes I wonder about soy and all the pesticides in it. Is it any safer? I’m sure they clean and refine wax. Maybe someone else has more scientific thoughts about this.

I personally don’t buy into all the hazardous health claims and hype. There might be some different opinions here I’m sure. 

It will be fun to research and try it🌸

• Like 4

Well, I sure hope there aren’t terrible effects. But I do think that a level of skepticism is wise. Often, health issues take years to develop. Could take over a decade. And the home candle making business us a relatively new phenomenon (less than 20 years) so it might be too early to conclude that there are zero health effects. Plus, some people have predispositions to developing cancers...and so little, in general, is known about environmental causes and cancer. Who would fund all that research...the petroleum companies? Not!

Good point about the pesticides.

in any case, I try to put aside the thoughts of risk and enjoy the process anyway...just impt issues to keep in mind, on the back burner. (Literally!) 

Have you ever noticed that most of the time scary articles are written by someone trying to sell us something? 

Anyway, thought I’d share this gem. 

4FA08DD5-69F9-4A83-8BE6-DBA34CCECC1F.jpeg

bought it at Aldi (a chain grocery store) a few months ago for about $6.  Lit it, and it was severely under wicked. The melt pool was smaller than a tea light and it was nearly self extinguishing within an hour.  Stuck an HTP 83 in it. I power burn so just lit and let go. Never trimmed it.  The melt pool was roughly the size of a votive through the entire first 2/3 of the large candle.. resisted the urge to wick up and am really glad I did.  It smells so strong and clean every burn. Never any soot. Scent wafts into several rooms easily. The thick hang up wept into the melt pool, meaning every single burn was as pure and strongly scented as the last. I’m in the last inch or so now, and the sides are cleaning up very well.  I suspect I’ll get at least 30 - 40 more hours with it. 

C9F46FE5-5BA7-4F84-8877-FD939F1C5174.jpeg

I wish like heck I knew what wax this is. It was made in India, so no clue what it could possibly be. Paraffin of some variety.  It was hard enough to pop out of the glass when I bought it and re-wicked. Not squishy like 4627 or 4630.  Not translucent and hard (or dirty)  like 4786.  Just a perfect candle wax in every way. I would switch in a hot second if I knew what it was. 

• Like 3

It’s taken this long for me to see the writing on the wall as far as my wax choices!

The last few days Ive been burning candles from February. These are Flamings Pro Blend 600 wax which is just about 50/50 soy and paraffin.

Both ct and ht are fantastic! Pineapple cilantro, which is on the strong side anyway and Asian sandlewood which is lighter generally but strong in this wax. I also have Asian sandlewood in my coconut wax blend which has barely no scent at all.

I feel I’ve given coconut wax and soy a fair try but now I’d like to use straight paraffin and some paraffin  blends. 🌸

• Like 3

On 5/20/2019 at 7:29 AM, TallTayl said:

I wish like heck I knew what wax this is. It was made in India, so no clue what it could possibly be. Paraffin of some variety.  It was hard enough to pop out of the glass when I bought it and re-wicked.

What makes you think it's not just a soy/para blend?  It looks and sounds just like the soy/para blends I've blended myself.  Even your wick choice lines up with what I'd use in that container with that blend.

Edited by pughaus

12 minutes ago, pughaus said:

What makes you think it's not just a soy/para blend?  It looks and sounds just like the soy/para blends I've blended myself.  Even your wick choice lines up with what I'd use in that container with that blend.

Anything is possible. I don’t have any typical retail Parasoys other than Clarus 3022 and 3020 but they’re nowhere near this wax 🤷‍♀️

What would they have access to in India?

@talltayl  I have a few lines with soy and soyblend candles that are made in Vietnam and another made in India.  I guess they have access to 100% soy and no doubt a wide range para waxes.  I've never used a preblended parasoy but I can't say anything bad about the 415 / 4630 blends I used for a while except for an occasional sinkhole in certain (straight jar) containers.

They sure did throw well.  Appearance -wise, they sure do look much like the example in your photo.  Here's one of my old testers; also with an htp83.

4630415.jpg

• Like 1

I have some 4630 and some really old 415 hanging around here. I'll give those a go.  If I can come even close to this cheapie candle I'll be pretty satisfied. Is it sad that I want to order a pallet of them and just re-wick and label? 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sebleo said:

@pughaus that jar looks beautiful!

it's one of those dream vessels glasses.  They're my go- to tester containers lately. Easy to wick 3" diameter. They're almost indestructible- I've dropped a few.  And they're colored glass, not sprayed, so they hold up well to washing and re-use. And they have lids.  Very handy.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pughaus said:

it's one of those dream vessels glasses.  They're my go- to tester containers lately. Easy to wick 3" diameter. They're almost indestructible- I've dropped a few.  And they're colored glass, not sprayed, so they hold up well to washing and re-use. And they have lids.  Very handy.

What color is it? The black frost?

@SebleoI think she was testing the demand with her first run on importing from China and is now working on logistics.   Last I heard she was moving from a CA to a TX warehouse so that will be great for you when she restocks!  

Edited by pughaus
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Aldi candles are hit or miss.

The three Wicker I burned was really hot and burned dirty, but it could’ve been the ones I picked. had to keep trimming the wicks as they burned to rid the giant carbon balls. 

A single wick aldi candle from last spring snuffed out in an hour. I rewicked with an HTP 73 for the 3 inch wide Tumbler and it was the best retail candle I’d ever burned. The 73 never made a full melt pool. The pool stayed shallow (<1/8”) and about the diameter of a maxi tea light. power burned for 10 to 12 hours at a time and the wax continued to gently weep into the tiny pool throwing extraordinarily well. Better than any BBW candle could hope to. peeved me greatly as I could not replicate that combo😂

The Tumbler was made in India. Not sure where others are made. For 399 they were fine experiment.

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2019 at 7:34 AM, NightLight said:

The company mentioned there marks up all their prices about 500 percent. You can get the same type of candle fragrances from many of the candle company suppliers mentioned on this board. You can also buy the wax at other companies if you do a search. I believe they buy wax and mark it up and market it as a luxury wax. 

What I love with paraffin. It colors beautifully, doesn’t frost, burns wells. Soy can frost, dry out. 

You can create a paraffin candles that doesn’t soot like crazy, but they have to blended.

I agree they are crazy expensive.  The fragrances are a bit elevated though.  I make coco apricot candles blended with 22 percent paraffin to improve throw…I made some with “regular”oils and some with lab and co oils for family and friends….they consistently preferred the lab & co (now wooden wick) oils.  I wish the WW oils were a little less expensive…they sometimes go on sale 30% off.  But the regular price is just too much to justify for selling candles.  I will continue to use them for my personal collection and as gifts for family.

• Like 1