Anyone use NW Coconut1?

Hello and welcome.

Naturewax coconut 1 tech doc here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0035/9274/9129/files/NatureWax_Coconut_1_TDS_2016.pdf?14945937411313780475

notice the melt point is 92 degrees.  This is not a candle wax as we think of a candle wax. It is coconut oil hydrogenated to melt at 92 degrees F. It’s being suggested as an additive versus a stand alone product. 

Coconut 2, incidentally, is coconut oil 92 with 2% of a soy based additive, likely universal soy additive.

neither will be successful as a stand alone, especially if you live in an area that gets above 80*F at any time of the year. At that temp, or slightly above, the product begins to soften quite a bit, reaching fully melted by 92*. 

• Like 2

I bought a sample to make sure it was what I thought it was (coconut oil)  and as soon as it was all gone I replaced it with coconut oil 92 which is easier to find with many options of ordering qtys/weight and for me can be shipped to LA for less $.

I use it as part of a blend, not by itself.

• Like 2

I’m not familiar with coconut oil 92. I’ll do some research and see if I can get that in the DC area reliably.  

So you think blending 90% with something else like a soy &palm wax could be possible?. I’m trying to create a custom blend so I don’t have to rely on a set supplier for their custom blend. I use Northwood for some wax now and it’s 90% coconut (they say).

It's definitely possible but I would not want a 90% coconut oil candle.  For one, coconut oil is expensive.  And soft. And melty.

I use my own blend for the very reason you state. Availability and it saves me quite a bit of $ too.  If you like the Northwood wax, and you are pretty sure what's in it play around with some ratios:  a 90% coco/ 10% palm  , 90/5 palm /5% soy??  etc . etc..using plain testers you make out of the Northwoods wax as baseline testers until you come up with your own ratio that looks, wicks and performs virtually identically.  That's what I did when I set out to dupe the Lab Co wax.  It was really interesting to see how the various ratios affected the final product. (and how little coconut is in it!) 

If you're like me, you'll keep tweaking it and end up with a blend you like even better than the one you were hoping to dupe.  

Coconut oil is widely available at soaper suppliers. Most carry a 76 MP and 92 MP coconut oil.  You can get it on amazon too in small amounts.  It's pricey on amazon but if you have prime and want to test out some smaller amounts it might work for you to get some there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkM said:

I’m not familiar with coconut oil 92. I’ll do some research and see if I can get that in the DC area reliably.  

So you think blending 90% with something else like a soy &palm wax could be possible?. I’m trying to create a custom blend so I don’t have to rely on a set supplier for their custom blend. I use Northwood for some wax now and it’s 90% coconut (they say).

Anything is possible.  The challenge with designing and engineering your own custom blend will be testing for all normal situations, such as temp fluctuations, raw material fluctuations, etc.  

simply adding soy to coconut oil will only get you so far.  For instance, midwest soy wax recommends adding 10% “high melt point coconut oil” (coconut 92) to improve their soy.  Doing so destabilizes the blend causing seepage. If you have the time and development chops you surely can identify and locate ingredients to stabilize the blend. 

coconut oil has a shelf life to think about too.  I use coconut 76 and coconut 92 in my soap/bath products.  It can and does go rancid over time. 

• Like 1