Jump to content

Newbie confused about what's happening with my candles.


Recommended Posts

Hi, so I made my first two candles yesterday with a candle making kit that uses NatureWax C6, which I read is a coconut/soy wax blend. There's not a lot of information about it when I do a google Craftserver search. I can't find how much soy is exactly in it either. Anyway, I heated 1lb of wax per the kit's instructions to 185 F and added 1 yellow dye chip, 1 oz fragrance oil called Passion Fruit/Guava  and then poured (Again at the kit's instructions) to 145 F. I placed both candles in my dining room, my house is usually pretty cool with the AC on most times. Initially, I thought the candles looked great but later on in the evening, I got what I think is frosting but I'm not sure. Would it affect the quality of the burn or its just something unsightly? I know definitely there is cracking on the top that I will use a heat gun on. I've googled extensively what it could be but I want to be sure what (like the correct term, is it truly frosting, is it a wet spot, what is this?) of all I'm looking at so I can try to troubleshoot properly (pick another wax, cool lower/higher, etc.., or just move away from 100% soy) Can you someone give me the right terms to explain what's happening to my candles? 

 

This is day 2 of curing. The kit didn't say where to cure, to cover them with darkness or anything like that. Can I cure anywhere? I wanted to burn one candle later today ( as the kit said to wait at least 48 hours but 6 days is best for soy). And then burn the other candle 5 days from now and compare the two. The cold throw is strong for both of them which I am delighted.

 

The attached picture is one of the candles, the other candle doesn't have as much of this occurrence like this picture. 

 

 

candle may8.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty color you got there!

That's just a "wet spot". Don't worry about it. It's just the wax reacting to temperature variations. Sometimes they pop up the next day, sometimes months later and sometimes not until the candle is burned and then the heat and temp changes from that will do it.

.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 If it tunneled to the bottom I’m mediately chances are there were holes/cavities/sinkholes around the wick.

 

The next time you make a candle take a skewer or something like it and poke down through the candle. You will be able to feel immediately where the cavities are. 

 

 There are quite a few ways to eliminate cavities, but sometimes you just need to poke and feel, then fill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like TT said, what you're describing is a sinkhole that was hiding just under the surface, not the gradual tunneling one gets when a candle has too small a wick. 
You should be able to "save" that candle by using a heat gun and melting the top enough to fill in that hole so at least you can still burn it for testing purposes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...