Jump to content

Looking for something else besides


 Share

Recommended Posts

clamshells.  Perhaps it's all in my head, but imho clamshells eventually make the wax smell "funny".  Does not matter if I pour cool, eventually they get a plastic-like odor.

I'd like to find a different way of packaging the wax melts (they actually look like jumbo "tarts", approx. 3 inches wide).

Any ideas/suggestions?

I was thinking of cardboard tubes and looked on PaperMart, but the tubes are not wide enough (i need a little over 3" in diameter).  Can you suggest another supplier or another way of packaging them, like 4 tarts per container?

I  don't like cello bags because, after a few handlings, the wax smears all over... 😕

TIA!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ravens I've seen tarts in those window style bakery bags. They look really cute in the bags and I have even seen bows used on the tops to fancy the bags up. 

 

Papermart is one of the suppliers that carries them bakery bags. I also think gable boxes, pillow boxes, wire handle (think chinese take out boxes), favor boxes, and tab top tote boxes are all cute ideas box types (scroll down the page to gift boxes).

 

You would have to rethink the tarts and have molds to make them. The boxes/bags would hold several depending on the size so you could offer different sizes for different tart amounts like 4, 6, or larger sizes. The good news is you could offer more tart for your buck and make better money off them. Cute packaging will be a huge part of the sale appeal and these boxes/bags have them in spades.

 

Another idea is to put the tarts in cello bags then put the cello bags inside the box. That way they won't rattle around or leave wax residue in the box/bag.

Edited by Candybee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always kinda wanted to do some in either the pillow boxes with a window or a kraft box with window.  I'm just too lazy to deal with it so I keep on using clamshells.   They are hard to beat for convenience and durability....plus everyone knows what they are at a glance.   I have some clams that are several years old and never a hint of an off smell.  I wonder if it's related to your wax type....IDK.  I hear other people mention the same thing, but I've never experienced it.  What kind of wax do you use, if you don't mind disclosing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also get a funky smell at times too. It seems to be either the oil used or the wax, not sure which but one thing I have noticed is it seems if I use a little bit of soy or use KY para/soy wax for clams I don't have the plastic smell. Could just be my imagination though and I don't smell it with every one of them.

 

I actually love the bakery bags with a window. I love putting shapes in them and that way you can see the shapes through the window. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, bfroberts said:

I have always kinda wanted to do some in either the pillow boxes with a window or a kraft box with window.  I'm just too lazy to deal with it so I keep on using clamshells.   They are hard to beat for convenience and durability....plus everyone knows what they are at a glance.   I have some clams that are several years old and never a hint of an off smell.  I wonder if it's related to your wax type....IDK.  I hear other people mention the same thing, but I've never experienced it.  What kind of wax do you use, if you don't mind disclosing?

I do not mind at all, bfroberts.  I use 4786 and 4794, both 100% paraffin.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2019 at 6:54 PM, Belinda said:

I also get a funky smell at times too. It seems to be either the oil used or the wax, not sure which but one thing I have noticed is it seems if I use a little bit of soy or use KY para/soy wax for clams I don't have the plastic smell. Could just be my imagination though and I don't smell it with every one of them.

 

I actually love the bakery bags with a window. I love putting shapes in them and that way you can see the shapes through the window. 

I have the 1/2 lb. tin tie white bags with the round window.  If I continue to use those, I now wonder if I should add more weight, they are a little over 5oz. each now. Daughter says I should sell 8 oz bags for $10 but doesn't that sound too expensive? Ticks me off when I see clamshells at walmart selling for $2 a piece!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, MilosCandles said:

I have the portion cups and used them when I had my shop open.  But now I have a booth and worry about shoplifting. Some of my soaps and bath bombs went missing.  I cannot expect the staff to guard my booth, lol.  So I ended up putting my face creams, lip balms and other small items inside display cases. Putting portion cups in display cases may not work as customers would not be able to smell them 😞

Edited by Ravens
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Candybee said:

Ravens I've seen tarts in those window style bakery bags. They look really cute in the bags and I have even seen bows used on the tops to fancy the bags up. 

 

Papermart is one of the suppliers that carries them bakery bags. I also think gable boxes, pillow boxes, wire handle (think chinese take out boxes), favor boxes, and tab top tote boxes are all cute ideas box types (scroll down the page to gift boxes).

 

You would have to rethink the tarts and have molds to make them. The boxes/bags would hold several depending on the size so you could offer different sizes for different tart amounts like 4, 6, or larger sizes. The good news is you could offer more tart for your buck and make better money off them. Cute packaging will be a huge part of the sale appeal and these boxes/bags have them in spades.

 

Another idea is to put the tarts in cello bags then put the cello bags inside the box. That way they won't rattle around or leave wax residue in the box/bag.

I really like the boxes idea, candybee! If Walmart can package real tarts in square boxes, so can i, lol

Thanks a million, Candybee!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ravens said:

I really like the boxes idea, candybee! If Walmart can package real tarts in square boxes, so can i, lol

Thanks a million, Candybee!

 

 

Can't wait to see what you come up with. If you do change your packaging please share a pic if you feel like it. I would love to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ravens said:

I have the 1/2 lb. tin tie white bags with the round window.  If I continue to use those, I now wonder if I should add more weight, they are a little over 5oz. each now. Daughter says I should sell 8 oz bags for $10 but doesn't that sound too expensive? Ticks me off when I see clamshells at walmart selling for $2 a piece!

I usually do 5-6 ounces for $5 a bag. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ravens said:

I have the 1/2 lb. tin tie white bags with the round window.  If I continue to use those, I now wonder if I should add more weight, they are a little over 5oz. each now. Daughter says I should sell 8 oz bags for $10 but doesn't that sound too expensive? Ticks me off when I see clamshells at walmart selling for $2 a piece!

 

I don’t think that’s too expensive. Especially if you have a good quality product and it is labeled and packaged nicely.

 

Market it as a half pound bag instead of 8 oz. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Belinda said:

I usually do 5-6 ounces for $5 a bag. 

 

Actually that sounds like you are underselling. I would be selling 4 in a small bag for $5-6 and 6 in a bag for about $8-10. Don't undersell yourself. Your melts are not Walmart crap.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Candybee said:

 

Actually that sounds like you are underselling. I would be selling 4 in a small bag for $5-6 and 6 in a bag for about $8-10. Don't undersell yourself. Your melts are not Walmart crap.

I agree but I just have a hard time asking for more. Maybe one day. Right now in our little community, which is mostly where I sell, I doubt many would pay more because they are used to the Walmart crap but lower prices. They don't stop and think about getting a better product, just a cheaper one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sebleo said:

 

I don’t think that’s too expensive. Especially if you have a good quality product and it is labeled and packaged nicely.

 

Market it as a half pound bag instead of 8 oz. 

Good thinking, Sebleo; will sell as "1/2 lb" rather than 8 oz.  Thank you!! 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...