CBL 125 Wax Dancing Wick Problem

I

I am trying to get the right wick for an 8 oz mason jar 2 1/2/ inches wide and a 4 oz mason jar again 2 1/2 inches wide.

Am using CBL 125 and love this wax but the wicks I am trying dance so much the jar gets so hot at the top I'm afraid to let it keep burning.

No air  conditioning on, no opens doors.

Used Candle science FO Cactus Flower and Jade.  An amazing scent and strong

These are the wicks I have tried that dance around.

RRD 37 ,  RRD 40,  HTP 73 ,  HTP 83,  Zinc 44-36-18,  Zinc  51-32-18,  51-32-18 premier 750

Where AM i GOING WRONG

Bobbing as it burns, Was n new wick.  I do not wick the jar when pouring but poke  a hole and try the wick first.

Cured 2 weeks  poured 2   8 oz and 1   4 oz used .7 fo for all total.

Hm, the HTP 73 should be a great wick for that combo. The Premier 750 should be good too, so I don't think over wicking is the issue, at least not for those two.

And that's about 6% -7% load, which is well within that wax's capacity...

I think the issue is probably just the narrower neck of the mason jar and the air currents created by the heat of the flame. I expect some dancing with a viscous wax like this, as the wicks have to burn pretty hot to get a good draw. Sometimes when I have a double wicked container, the flames go sideways, lol.

Is it bad enough that it's affecting the quality of the burn? Are they poofing soot? The top of the jar getting hot, is that for all the wicks? The HTP 83 is a little big, that might be part of the issue with that one.

I ditched mason jars pretty early on in my candle making, they are super convenient, which is appealing, but I was never very happy with the way they burned. Just IMO! 😁

• Like 1

I mostly use 16oz straight sided jars and 16oz salsa jars. I've used Status jars, 8oz tumblers, apothecary jars in various sizes, large candle bowls, and more, but the straight jars are my favorite for a simple easy candle. 😊💕

So i am burning another v2 8 oz mason jar candle with same parameters but using s HTP 83 because I used .9 oz of oil in them.  They are still when lit and dance a little but look bettr thabn the 733 did  earlier today o the others. Do you think to dangerous to use the 83?

12 hours ago, karinz40 said:

So i am burning another v2 8 oz mason jar candle with same parameters but using s HTP 83 because I used .9 oz of oil in them.  They are still when lit and dance a little but look bettr thabn the 733 did  earlier today o the others. Do you think to dangerous to use the 83?

Not at all, if it's burning well. Could be that FO needs the bigger wick. Keep testing, see how it does when it gets closer to the bottom, that part of the burn is always the determining factor for me.

Dancing when you're down within a deeper container is usually an airflow issue, not necessarily a wick issue.  Obviously, you need to make sure you have the right size wick, but even if it is the right size, I still get dancing in my 9 oz straight sided jar when I'm 1/2 way in or more.  I've always assumed there is no getting around this without a candle topper, but perhaps I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same issue with 464 wax in 8oz jelly jars,  8 oz amber straight sided jars -  my candles burn nice and steady until about 1/4-1/3 down the jar, then the flames dance after than consistently.  My candles are burning nicely, no soot, smoke, not too hot, just wasnt sure if i was doing something wrong either as i tried different FOs at 6% and wick combos (Premier 750s, CD8, ECO 8/10) no dye.