New here! looking for beginner input :)

Hi and welcome to the board!

I don't use 464 or make candles so I can't help you there but I know there'll be some that will chime in with some help for you. I do like Candle Science fragrance oils though so you can't go wrong there!

On 4/26/2019 at 6:28 PM, Trappeur said:

You say you are blending 464?   What are you blending it with?

Trappeur

Oh sorry! I didn’t mean I was blending it with anything 😆 oops, when I had researched different brands I saw the wax being called “wax blends” I'm learning! Lol 

14 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Candle Science has great products. Really top quality. I love their fragrances!

The best advice I can give is try paraffin. 😆😆

That’s just my bias though!

What do you like about paraffin versus soy? I was going to give that and also beeswax a try as well! ☺️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Schmandarrr said:

What do you like about paraffin versus soy? I was going to give that and also beeswax a try as well! ☺️

Paraffin blends, usually, are a more consistent starting product than natural waxes like soy or beeswax. 

Many soy wax blends have proven inconsistent and hard to wick especially since 2016.  These tend to have the longest learning curve. It’s worth trying to learn, just prepare to take your time since soy candles change quite a bit as they age. 

Beeswax shines in tapers and pillars, but often varies wildly from batch to batch depending on the particular hives it was harvested from.  Tapers are the easiest with beeswax.  I wouldn’t even attempt beeswax in containers until you really “get” beeswax and container candles independently. Beeswax desiccates slowly over many months so your wicking needs will likely change radically, requiring hotter and hotter wicks as it shrinks and hardens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Paraffin blends, usually, are a more consistent starting product than natural waxes like soy or beeswax. 

Many soy wax blends have proven inconsistent and hard to wick especially since 2016.  These tend to have the longest learning curve. It’s worth trying to learn, just prepare to take your time since soy candles change quite a bit as they age. 

Beeswax shines in tapers and pillars, but often varies wildly from batch to batch depending on the particular hives it was harvested from.  Tapers are the easiest with beeswax.  I wouldn’t even attempt beeswax in containers until you really “get” beeswax and container candles independently. Beeswax desiccates slowly over many months so your wicking needs will likely change radically, requiring hotter and hotter wicks as it shrinks and hardens. 

@Schmandarrr, what TT said. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are going down the same road I was on when I first started. The best advice I could give you is to put the 464 away for a while and get some 4627 paraffin. The reason I say this is a simple a candle made with 4627 is ready to burn in a week, a candle made with 464 doesn’t reach that same level for a couple of months, or more. Certainly people will tell you that your 464 candle is ready in two weeks, but soy continues to cure for a long time after that and the candle just gets stronger. As a beginner you are going to make mistakes, and the faster you are able to identify those mistakes the faster you will become a maker of quality candles. The other best advice I can give you is ask questions on this board, that is the best way to learn.

• Like 2

Hi!

love candle science as well!

The Flaming Candle has a very beginner friendly wax called pro blend 600. This wax is a combo of soy and paraffin. I would say less of a cure time compared to straight soy in my experience. It’s a soft wax you cut with a knife, i dont find that that’s a negative for me, some may think it’s to much trouble. There is also a tart wax, pro blend 650 that is in bead form, easy to use. Just as great! I use these waxes and coconut wax and my own blend.

Have fun experimenting!🌸