Starting Out

Hello All,

I am new to the idea of candle making and have been doing tons of searches on all information I can. (I am a crafter so I always start with research before diving in) 

There is tons of information out there and it's almost a little overwhelming. I am not looking to start a business or make a profit (right this second). Its purely for my enjoyment and another way for me to be creative. 

I've read some of the forums already on here and theyve helped. However, there are things I'm still unsure of. What is the best type of wax to start with as a beginner? (If there is one) I've read the basic supply list of wax, container, wick, color and fragrence. What else is needed for those who have done this before? What tips and tricks could be provided to help get me started in this craft? 

Thanks

Hi and welcome to a new obsession. 

The best wax to start with is not easy to pinpoint. Every wax has its strengths and drawbacks. 

For a total newbie, paraffin waxes tend to get the quickest early results. 4627 and 4630 are pretty easy to get and learn. They’re not finicky about fragrances and don’t require long cure times like soy and soy blends. Wicks are fairly common and straightforward. 

Good luck!

I think starting with parrafin wax is a great way to go. Or even a parasoy blend like 6006.

IMO, veggie based waxes are so finicky, and a huge investment of effort. Why torture yourself so early on? Once you get the hang of making a great candle with paraffin, then you could expand to other waxes without such a steep learning curve.

When I started out, I started with soy because I assumed that's just what everyone used. Seemed like it anyway! Boy, those candles were terrible! I'm so thankful that I was able to quickly switch gears and get a couple slabs of parrafin container wax. So much better! I had fragrant, beautiful candles in a matter of weeks as opposed to months.

Pick an easy wax, pick a container to practicing wicking it in, pick a wick series, and pick 2-3 fragrances. In that order. Make your first candles super basic while you learn.

If you do other crafts, treat candle making just like anything else - learn to sew the pot holder before the flying pinwheel quilt, learn to make a clay pinch pot before you throw a vase, learn to bake cupcakes before the 4-tier wedding cake. 😁😁😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Pick an easy wax, pick a container to practicing wicking it in, pick a wick series, and pick 2-3 fragrances. In that order. Make your first candles super basic while you learn.

This is exactly what my advice would be haha. Candle making is very easy to do, very difficult to master. 

Make it easy on yourself and pick a wax and a container and stick to it. Find the right wick for your wax before you switch waxes. Don't be like me!! 🤣🤣 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1