Clamshell Conundrum

gigglefits

1 hour ago, gigglefits said:

Wow thank you! That gives me hope, I will have to give those a try!

I always pour clams around 150- the palm I even let cool rather than the 200 recommended pour temp because I think that could blow a hole and be disastrous and I still had good crystal pattern 

• Like 1

There are PVC and PET clamshells. If you are unhappy with them contact the supplier and explain the situation.

There are many manufacturers of clamshell, and I bet most are important and the quality will vary. If one supplier you buy from has clamshells that are issue, switch supplier.

I recently had issue with one number of HTP wick, and they all were pulling out of the wick tab every time I poured. Contacted supplier explained the issue and I got refund.

• Like 1

I use(d) the ones from candle clamshells and they are pvc. 

My my only issue comes with age. Somewhere around the year mark they start smelling of plastic and a few fragrances it looks like are eating away at the plastic. 

Up to to that point, they are great!

On 4/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, Belinda said:

I use their clams and have noticed a funky smell at times but not with all oils. I noticed the same smell at times with other clams I used also. Where do you get yours from? I really would like to do shapes only or brittle in bags but clams are so convenient right now and I'd love to not have the funky smell!

I used all the clam shells and had them curing to sell. I had to throw all of them away that is a lot of waste of product and time. I had used their oils and they are very weak. I now make melts and use cello bags so much nicer and the scent throw is out of this world.

9 hours ago, Belinda said:

Does anyone know if the ones from Maple street are PVC or PET? I just got an order in but don't see anything on the box. The ones from Fillmore do say PET and I'll order from them if the ones from Maple aren't PET.

I believe they are PET but either way they suck the scent out. Polypropylene is the kind that is good for the melts.

13 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I used all the clam shells and had them curing to sell. I had to throw all of them away that is a lot of waste of product and time. I had used their oils and they are very weak. I now make melts and use cello bags so much nicer and the scent throw is out of this world.

I like making the melts and shapes in bags better myself. Clams are just so stinking convenient right now with working a full time, 12 hour a day job. Hopefully when I retire I will switch to shapes and brittle only. The scent defiantly smells stronger in those. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Belinda said:

I like making the melts and shapes in bags better myself. Clams are just so stinking convenient right now with working a full time, 12 hour a day job. Hopefully when I retire I will switch to shapes and brittle only. The scent defiantly smells stronger in those. 

I didn't realize you worked a full time long hour job. I don't know how you do that and this. You must never sleep. I find that the clams take longer because it's hard to see in them and I overfill lol There is one clam I would use if I could find it. It is cute and round with wedges but read it is from out of the country. I can't afford it. 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:35 AM, ShelleyF said:

I didn't realize you worked a full time long hour job. I don't know how you do that and this. You must never sleep. I find that the clams take longer because it's hard to see in them and I overfill lol There is one clam I would use if I could find it. It is cute and round with wedges but read it is from out of the country. I can't afford it. 

I work with special needs kids and I also drive a special needs bus. I get up at 3:45 and leave my house a little after 5 and punch in at 5:30. I'm picking my first rider up at 6. After I finish my route at 7:30 I start my teachers aide job. I punch out of that at 3:45 and get back on my bus and finally finish my route around 5:20 P.M. It's a long day but I love what I do. I don't have much time to make anything so that's why I don't go public and only sell to friends, coworkers and a few outsiders by word of mouth. I can't offer good customer service right now.

I overfill mine too! I always think I'll stop right at the top but then they start spilling over LOL! Then it looks SO messy!

I've seen the round wedge clam you're talking about from candle lite I think? I've never seen any empty ones for sale though.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 4:35 AM, ShelleyF said:

45 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've seen the round wedge clam you're talking about from candle lite I think? I've never seen any empty ones for sale though.

Maple Street has the round clamshell coming soon.. I saw some pictures on Facebook of it! I think that might be the round one you're thinking of. Also if you search "round pie melt clamshell" on Google another supplier comes up as well..I've never heard of them though. But yes those are super cute!

On 4/15/2019 at 8:51 PM, Belinda said:

Does anyone know if the ones from Maple street are PVC or PET? I just got an order in but don't see anything on the box. The ones from Fillmore do say PET and I'll order from them if the ones from Maple aren't PET.

I got a box that of Maple Street clams that says PVC on them, however I did see on Facebook before in the Maple Street group that they are PET. So I'm confused on that. However I did melt a scent that kind of picked of the plastic skunk smell and it did not hurt the throw, or throw off the scent, so that's promising :)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, gigglefits said:

Maple Street has the round clamshell coming soon.. I saw some pictures on Facebook of it! I think that might be the round one you're thinking of. Also if you search "round pie melt clamshell" on Google another supplier comes up as well..I've never heard of them though. But yes those are super cute!

I got a box that of Maple Street clams that says PVC on them, however I did see on Facebook before in the Maple Street group that they are PET. So I'm confused on that. However I did melt a scent that kind of picked of the plastic skunk smell and it did not hurt the throw, or throw off the scent, so that's promising :)

I got 50 in from Fillmore today and they look exactly like the ones from Maple Street, same exact size. I've ordered from ICS before and they were a little different than these are. 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, Belinda said:

I work with special needs kids and I also drive a special needs bus. I get up at 3:45 and leave my house a little after 5 and punch in at 5:30. I'm picking my first rider up at 6. After I finish my route at 7:30 I start my teachers aide job. I punch out of that at 3:45 and get back on my bus and finally finish my route around 5:20 P.M. It's a long day but I love what I do. I don't have much time to make anything so that's why I don't go public and only sell to friends, coworkers and a few outsiders by word of mouth. I can't offer good customer service right now.

I overfill mine too! I always think I'll stop right at the top but then they start spilling over LOL! Then it looks SO messy!

I can't see in them that great but have found if you put a piece of construction paper under them it helps lol the beige one. But still hate it and think the shapes smell better. 

That's a long day. But glad you love it.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:44 PM, gigglefits said:

Thank you. I will check it out. 

I just looked and it is  the kind I'm looking for but not the right material. He says it's the same material PVP that destroyed my stuff. It smells like rotten skunk or something. I hope the other brand is different.  PET isn't good either that's why we have to use polypropylene. This stuff is confusing lol

Edited by ShelleyF

Hi all!  Happy Easter!  I have always used and have never had an issue with Indiana Candle Supplies!  Her clams are great and at a great price.  I think they average out to be about .31each.  I use parasoy and I pour at about 152 with no issues whatsoever!  Kathy is very fast and efficient and she has wonderful fragrance oils too!  So if you are  looking for  a new clamshell supplier, I completely recommend Indiana Candle Supplies!! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Moneypenny said:

Hi all!  Happy Easter!  I have always used and have never had an issue with Indiana Candle Supplies!  Her clams are great and at a great price.  I think they average out to be about .31each.  I use parasoy and I pour at about 152 with no issues whatsoever!  Kathy is very fast and efficient and she has wonderful fragrance oils too!  So if you are  looking for  a new clamshell supplier, I completely recommend Indiana Candle Supplies!! 

I was upset that she charged me double shipping. The oils I bought were not impressive but I've only tried a few. Prices were good and shipping fast. 

On 4/21/2019 at 9:43 AM, Moneypenny said:

I"ve used her clams before and liked them too but hers are higher than the ones from Maple Street and also Fillmore. Have you ever used anyone else's?

• 3 weeks later...

I have only purchased clams from one place, Community Candle here in Alabama. I bought from them for seven years and never had even one with a hole in it and melts is the main thing I did. I was out of the business for 5 years and have just started back. A gf of mine bought her clams from there three weeks ago and so far , it's the same as it was back then. Also, to this day I still have about 10 full clams left over from when I went out of business and the only one of those 10 that has a weird smell to it, is the Pumpkin Pie. Even after all this time the rest still smell the same and the plastic is as thick and stable as it was the day I poured. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, Belinda said:

I"ve used her clams before and liked them too but hers are higher than the ones from Maple Street and also Fillmore. Have you ever used anyone else's?

No.  Kathy's are the only ones I have every used.  I have been so happy with the quality that I did not feel the need to try anyone else's!