Clamshell Conundrum

gigglefits

I recently tested clamshells to add to my line up.. And so far so good! But when I pop some of the clams out, some scents are ending up with a skunky smell.. 😯 I have heard of this before..but I am pouring at the recommend pour temp of below 170. I think the clams are PET, they're from Maple St. (Love this company! Not upset with them at all, I know it's user error🙋‍♀️) So I'm just wondering what else could be causing this.. Maybe some fragrance oils are more prone to doing this esp. lighter or ones with vanillin? Maybe I should pour even warmer than 170? Hoping for some tips or maybe a different clamshell to avoid this? I love these and most are amazing but when I have some turning up skunky it just has me paranoid Lol! Also, my wax is paraffin! 

Please help if you have any ideas. Thank you!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I had to throw all of my clamshells away from there. It ruined my products. I don't use clams anymore.

Wow that's so crazy! Was it the same dreaded skunky smell? I wish it wasn't so hit or miss especially when I'm always sure to pour below the recommended 170. I'm stumped. I just don't want to have to pop out every clam I make and sniff it to be sure Lol I feel like I can't un-smell it now😂 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, franu61 said:

I pour at 125ish and have never noticed a skunky smell.  I've tried clams from lots of different places. ( not maple street tho)

Maybe I will test some others out.. I just can't pour at too low of a temperature or my wax cools and then the tops are left kinda bubbly on top. So it gets crazy trying to do a bunch of clams when the wax is cooling away Lol! Maybe I'll see if 155-160 or lower will help at all. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 10:31 PM, Jenni Wix said:

When I store melts in some inexpensive #5 plastic bins so the scent won't escape, they've gotten super weird. I haven't done clamshells, but I imagine it's your plastic and not you.  

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on my melts. I'm currently testing some recycled storage containers for my lose melts that are PP #5 plastic. They've been in them for a few months maybe and nothing is out of the ordinary. Other than clamshells, what do you store your lose melts in? Tin cans?

• Like 1

Hi @gigglefits. I've never heard of that problem and I've never had that problem so far. I have been using a few different sizes of clam shells from Aztec and a shop on Amazon without any problems. I usually pour between 160-175 and the melts look and smell great. If I pour any cooler than 155-160 I usually get jump lines, bubbles or soft round edges. I use different waxes and blends of paraffin and soy. I don't know for certain if my clams shells are PVC or PET, I've seen both and some websites tell you and some don't. Maybe that's your issue?

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

We'll #5 or PP is best for keeping scents in,  I think the particular ones I got were just bad.  They kept the scent in, alright, but also made things smell very chemical.  They were just dollar store canisters.  So, maybe another #5 container wouldn't do the same.  

I'm using small PP cello bags for now, I can then store that in shoe boxes etc.  Wanting to get glass, honestly.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:10 PM, gigglefits said:

Wow that's so crazy! Was it the same dreaded skunky smell? I wish it wasn't so hit or miss especially when I'm always sure to pour below the recommended 170. I'm stumped. I just don't want to have to pop out every clam I make and sniff it to be sure Lol I feel like I can't un-smell it now😂 

Yes it was and it was awful. I think they sell cheap for a reason. Their oils are so bad and weak I wouldn't sell or give away. I threw them away too. I had bought fresh from them. Never again. You do get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShelleyF said:

Yes it was and it was awful. I think they sell cheap for a reason. Their oils are so bad and weak I wouldn't sell or give away. I threw them away too. I had bought fresh from them. Never again. You do get what you pay for. 

I use their clams and have noticed a funky smell at times but not with all oils. I noticed the same smell at times with other clams I used also. Where do you get yours from? I really would like to do shapes only or brittle in bags but clams are so convenient right now and I'd love to not have the funky smell!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenni Wix said:

We'll #5 or PP is best for keeping scents in,  I think the particular ones I got were just bad.  They kept the scent in, alright, but also made things smell very chemical.  They were just dollar store canisters.  So, maybe another #5 container wouldn't do the same.  

I'm using small PP cello bags for now, I can then store that in shoe boxes etc.  Wanting to get glass, honestly.  

We eat a lot of yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. so I recycle those containers for my melts, it's a win-win. I also recycle glass jars such as pickles, jelly and the small beef bullion cube jars are really cute. And less trash for me to take out. :lol:

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Belinda said:

I use their clams and have noticed a funky smell at times but not with all oils. I noticed the same smell at times with other clams I used also. Where do you get yours from? I really would like to do shapes only or brittle in bags but clams are so convenient right now and I'd love to not have the funky smell!

Same here Belinda! It varies per oil/blend for me too. I love doing shapes too but I agree clams are very convenient, so it's a bummer to have to worry about what may or may not smell. I did see on Flaming Candle's site for their clams they said- "While we have heard of some wax melt clamshell molds having a plastic smell, our clamshells do not have a plastic smell. We have also found fragrances with vanilla create a burnt plastic smell in clamshells and do not recommend using vanilla scents or fragrances with a vanilla base in clamshells." But their clamshells are almost double the price of Maple.😯 I'm just wondering if that's the whole issue-- scents with vanillin in them picking up plastic? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi @gigglefits. I've never heard of that problem and I've never had that problem so far. I have been using a few different sizes of clam shells from Aztec and a shop on Amazon without any problems. I usually pour between 160-175 and the melts look and smell great. If I pour any cooler than 155-160 I usually get jump lines, bubbles or soft round edges. I use different waxes and blends of paraffin and soy. I don't know for certain if my clams shells are PVC or PET, I've seen both and some websites tell you and some don't. Maybe that's your issue?

Thanks Laura! Thank you for your feedback! Maple's say PVC on the box I received them in.. So that is a good point because I did hear that PET are better for clamshells supposedly. Something about PVC breaks down faster/is a thinner plastic? But I'm not 100% sure, I'm still new to clamshells..I thought everything was fine and dandy til I smelled that skunk smell and I tried to investigate to see what's going on.😂 I may just have to try a new supplier to see & some PET clamshells. I don't want to give up just yet. 

Appreciate your help! Thank you!

• Like 1

I've never noticed any kind of skunky or off smell with Maple Street's clamshells. I love their quality. Even though I really like them, I think after this box, I may try to go a more sustainable route. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lana said:

I've never noticed any kind of skunky or off smell with Maple Street's clamshells. I love their quality. Even though I really like them, I think after this box, I may try to go a more sustainable route. 

Do you know if they’re PVC or PET? I saw a PVC label on my box when they arrived but I could of swore I read PET somewhere before. Also that some soy blends don’t have that problem whereas paraffin will.. it’s tricky. I really like them too so I’m hoping to figure out what’s off for me. 

• Like 1

I have never had clams turn stinky and I've made hundreds of thousands of them.  Sometimes they have a plastic smell when I unbox the big box but a day in the air clears that out.  I have bought some and I don't recall where that had a skunky smell on arrival, but there again airing out cleared it up.

• Like 1

There are cheap plastic clams out there that stink and blow holes when you pour hotter 

I can’t remember the specifics you need to look for but there is a thread on this from long ago

I get mine from Indiana candle supply and never had an odor or a blowout and for me price and shipping is very reasonable considering I have zero waste with them 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gigglefits said:

Do you know if they’re PVC or PET? I saw a PVC label on my box when they arrived but I could of swore I read PET somewhere before. Also that some soy blends don’t have that problem whereas paraffin will.. it’s tricky. I really like them too so I’m hoping to figure out what’s off for me. 

I have noticed when using a para/soy blend in my clams that I don't get the skunky smell too. I have a new box of clams from Maple street so I'm going to check it and see what it says. I did notice the ones from Fillmore say PET and I ordered a few of those to compare. I have bought them from other places but Maple had the best price and I sure don't want to pay some of the astronomical prices some places charge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Belinda said:

I have noticed when using a para/soy blend in my clams that I don't get the skunky smell too. I have a new box of clams from Maple street so I'm going to check it and see what it says. I did notice the ones from Fillmore say PET and I ordered a few of those to compare. I have bought them from other places but Maple had the best price and I sure don't want to pay some of the astronomical prices some places charge.

Oh wow..I wonder what it is about soy that helps with that. I really hope it's something as simple as use PET and not PVC.. what a relief that would be Lol! I really need to test more too..I don't want to give up just yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I have never had clams turn stinky and I've made hundreds of thousands of them.  Sometimes they have a plastic smell when I unbox the big box but a day in the air clears that out.  I have bought some and I don't recall where that had a skunky smell on arrival, but there again airing out cleared it up.

13 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Me too.....I've never smelled a thing when I make clamshells.

Trappeur

12 hours ago, moonshine said:

There are cheap plastic clams out there that stink and blow holes when you pour hotter 

I can’t remember the specifics you need to look for but there is a thread on this from long ago

I get mine from Indiana candle supply and never had an odor or a blowout and for me price and shipping is very reasonable considering I have zero waste with them 

May I ask if you guys use paraffin or soy? Or a mix? That seems to be a factor so I'm just curious. I never thought to air them out.. And I should give Indiana Candle a shot, I love their oils. Thank you all!