Container Palm newbie questions

I just can’t help it! Purchased some palm container wax. Palm burns differently from soy, yes? Does it need to burn edge to edge like soy or will it burn more like a pillar? Should I add coconut oil to help the burn? My one attempt years ago was a bit of a fail, but I did love the throw in it.

I have htp, cd, and eco wicks to try.

Thanks for the help! 

Don't add anything to it, it is fabulous on its own! 😁❤️

Which one did you get? I've only used the crystal Palm, so my experienced is based on that. It does tend to burn more like a pillar, in that it burns down and then out. It's a little tricky to wick because you want a hot wick for great throw, but it can easily cross the line into a super hot torch. Personally I aim for a full MP about halfway down the jar, or even 3/4 down, and the edges catch up great to clean the glass by the end of the burn. 

HTPs do ok with palm. Be prepared to wick up to get a good flame. Really, CSNs are the best wick to use with palm, but it sucks they are only sold by one supplier, and there are so few sizes. I know a few people use other wicks. I think it's @pcbrook who uses RRDs and likes them. @Jcandleattic uses something else I believe, but I can't remember what off the top of my head. CDNs? I've also used Premiers with some success, but like the HTPs, wicking up is crucial. Personally I get the best throw with CSNs, so that's what I use the most.

I'm really glad I started experimenting with palm, thanks to @Candybee and @Jcandleattic! They inspired me! It is a beautiful wax, easy to use, and once I got the hang of wicking it, a great thrower!

15 minutes ago, NightLight said:

I read about the flip method. So I make sure the top is solidified enough then flip over?

Yep! I tilt the candle on its side first to check for leaky spots, then flip it if it's good. If it's a little leaky I let sit a few minutes longer. Depending on the size of the candle and the ambient temp, it's an hour to two hours after I pour it.

Other people might have a different method. 😁

Haha no did not get feather or crystal, it’s just called palm container from Candlewic. Not attempting pillars of anything yet. Do you do that floppy thing for the air bubble? And thanks for advice to get meltpool halfway down. When I first tried palm the burn really threw me off and I stopped all attempts, but I love the colors and patterns.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Haha no did not get feather or crystal, it’s just called palm container from Candlewic. Not attempting pillars of anything yet. Do you do that floppy thing for the air bubble? And thanks for advice to get meltpool halfway down. When I first tried palm the burn really threw me off and I stopped all attempts, but I love the colors and patterns.

Thats exactly what I have! It's a crystal pattern palm.

The burn can be a little scary at first, to get a good throw you need a tall flame. And when you're used to the way container paraffin or soy spread, the melt pool behavior of the Palm can make you doubt you're wicking it right. But overall I felt like the learning curve was only a little steeper than paraffin. I'm way too impatient to use soy. 😂😂

Oh! Definitely give your candles a good two week cure! It vastly improves the HT!

Okay poured some palm containers today. Thank you for that info on flipping for the bubble. Slightly nerve Wracking!

Is there anyway of getting rid of the air Bubbles. I have not burned yet, but testing htp wicks.

Love the super hot pour. Still waiting for cool down, but I have really good cold throw. Exciting.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Okay poured some palm containers today. Thank you for that info on flipping for the bubble. Slightly nerve Wracking!

Is there anyway of getting rid of the air Bubbles. I have not burned yet, but testing htp wicks.

Love the super hot pour. Still waiting for cool down, but I have really good cold throw. Exciting.

Digging through old posts, I read that some people would "wreck" their Palm containers by stirring and poking through the crust as it cooled to eliminate the air bubbles. Seems like a lot of hassle to me. If you flip it so the bubbles form on the bottom, or even more toward the middle, as your candle burns the molten wax will naturally fill the cavities without you having to do a thing. As long as the bubbles aren't right at the top, it shouldn't be an issue.

I love the CT from palm! I have a palm pillar scenting my bedroom as it cures. 😁 No flame needed, it smells amazing.

Hi there!

Nice job burning.....to me it looks like is 3/4 of the way burned..is it?   Very pretty color also.

When you say you did 2 different long burns, what does that mean?   Different days and how many hours did you burn

I would say next tester to go up a size in wick.

Trappeur

Did another burn different day still hang up. It’s Htp 1212, I think I can go up to 1312 and it would burn cleaner.

jeesh you certainly can not budge this wax out of glass. I wicked a smaller jar and knew it wasn’t even going to burn, attempted to dig out wax. FAIL!

Love cold throw in these candles.

Wow, it's bad enough you have a 1212 in that jar as that is a big wick but going to the larges wick out there the 1312 now that's a torch!

What jar is that?

Do you have any other style wicks?

Wish I could help more as I use 464.....Surely someone will come along who uses palm and make some suggestions.

How is the throw on that scent?   What scent are you using?

Trappeur

The wax is super hard! You could throw the container on cement break the glass and not budge the candle. Palm needs hot wick!

I have a Wellington Slatkin dupe Cranberry Woods. It’s delish. Works in all wax that I have tried. Have to say this was the easiest thing to pour but it has to be poured super hot and you do have to do that floppy thing, but no big deal. Put a timer on' waited an hour flipped.

I have other wicks but they will not burn hot enough even the eco largest I don’t think is hot enough for this stuff.

8 hours ago, NightLight said:

Here is my tester with htp wick. Do people wick for complete melt on the sides? This was two long burns. I could go up a size.

i did get a bubble burp when burning but the wax filled in immediately. 

F21143B4-CDFC-4411-A5D3-B1D460F20ABB.jpeg

That looks good! The HTPs struggle a bit in the acidic environment of palm wax, and as you noted, it needs a hot flame. How does the flame look while it’s burning? Tall and robust? Short and sad? How is the hot throw?

Burn that to the bottom and I think you will be surprised!

I took a few pics of my candles on fire to kind of give you a point of reference. 

E340A130-9A34-4D81-99A6-957CFE3A5250.thumb.jpeg.2eb0da85a84dd6b7667f89608bc566ee.jpeg

Above is a pillar with an HTP 126. It’s a 3” pillar, and you can see it still has quite a shell even though it’s almost at the bottom. The shell was actually taller, but it broke off from some rough handling. 😳

The flame is pretty small and the HT is only so-so. I know the 1212 is going to be way too big, so I’m looking at a different wick series for this size pillar now. 

6B30C393-50F9-410F-AE35-04D72EECFB3E.thumb.jpeg.18854674f043ee3115831b2944a190a4.jpeg2E95B890-A12A-47FB-8703-BB0CEA16A5CB.thumb.jpeg.1b5263fc374c3563aed1eb51fb9eabb8.jpeg

Here is a container, a 12oz Status jar. You can see in the top pic that there is a fairly thick shell, but you can also see the flame is a nice size, and the jar is warm to the touch at the top. The HT is good, and you can see from the side view that it still has a ways to go before it burns down to the bottom. Because the flame is nice and hot, the shell will start to melt down in the next couple burns, and the melt pool will stay shallow as the wick consumes the shell at an even rate. I think this wick is a good size (it’s a CSN 12). I could probably go up to a CSN 14 safely, if I was doing 3-4 hr burns, but I like to power burn on the weekends, so I wick for that. 😁

978B1CEF-3D8B-4E7E-98F8-CA45058BC83A.thumb.jpeg.9dbf3b377b5c2fe094d2ce717939e955.jpeg

Now this one above is definitely under wicked. The flame is tiny, the shell is super thick, and the melt pool is already halfway down the jar. I know that there is no way the sides are going to melt down before the wick hits the bottom, and the HT is weak anyway. Because this is a short container, I’ll need to wick up to try to encourage the melt pool to spread. I think it’s likely that this container may not be appropriate for palm at all, as a bigger wick may choke itself out with too much fuel too quickly. We shall see!

2AF54DE2-4298-476B-8E4E-01F6134069BB.thumb.jpeg.1926ac03dd5081787bfeb0d2b6f28bd1.jpegE659D856-6B13-444F-9B97-F2FEFFF4FF54.thumb.jpeg.829b973414244c86e6467b85b103f730.jpeg

And this one above was was one of my first testers ever. You can see (since I labeled it, lol) that the top photo is 2 hrs into the 2nd burn. Look at that shell!! I would have said that this was under-wicked. But then take a look at the second pic. That’s the same candle after several 3-4 hr burns. Boy was that tumbler hot!!

That container was another tricky one. I ended up wicking down, knowing that most people would burn it like a giant votive. The smaller containers are a beast to wick. If I revisit them, I’m going to look at HTPs instead of CSNs. 

So I hope that helped illustrate a little bit on the behavior of palm wax! It is totally unlike the other waxes, but once you have some experience with it, it’s easy to see when a wick isn’t working. And my experience has been that FO doesn’t affect it nearly as much as it does with other waxes, although I still always test for throw. I am in no way an expert, and tend to shoot  myself in the foot by container-hopping, but that’s my .02, for what it’s worth! 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some CSNs and trying them. Question can you use pillar palm in containers and get a nice burning candle. I have the container blend.

Also if you give these candles to people, how do you adjust for the fact that people may not burn them long enough to get good diameter meltpool. Will this lead to tunneling with subsequent burns?

I am getting some of the larger CDS just to compare to CSN.

High flames with CSN, I trimmed shorter than soy wax wicks as the palm burn behavior is different and as result a larger flame especially in beginning.

Photo is CSN22 One hour fifteen minutes.

52C4B3EF-6057-492C-A893-47AFD0EFD292.jpeg

Ohhhh, I hate to break it to you @NightLight, but that wick is way too big. You are definitely going to have some problems later on in the burn. Don't look for an edge-to-edge burn until you're at least halfway down the jar. You will doubt that the hangup will melt down, but it will! Even burning in one or two hour increments, with the proper wick the hangup will run down into the melt pool about halfway down the jar, and the wick will consume it at a steady rate. 

Are you still using the 2.5" jar? If so, make one with a CSN 12, set it aside for a couple weeks, and then burn it in 2-4 hour increments and see what happens. It's totally facinating the way palm burns. So different than soy and parrafin. 

Do be careful with that CSN 22 candle if you keep burning it (which might be a good idea to see what happens), it is going to get incredibly hot in a couple more burns. Like, really, really hot.

Sorry I don't know about using pillar Palm in containers, I've never tried it. It does pull away completely from the molds when I make pillars, so I would be concerned about it rattling around in the jar after it cools.

I tried the feather palm in glass jars and it worked. Pulled away slightly, but the jar had a lip so there was no fear of it coming out. And the pull away was so slight I couldn’t really notice. Very little rattle. 

• Like 1

So interesting difference in physical size of the larger cd wicks versus the CSNs. The larger cds wicks are super thick, compared to csn.

have not tried regular cd wick yet but will be interested to see the difference in burn. Anyone try csn versus cd?