Liquid Dye Calculations

I prefer the drops per pound method of calculation. Although I use percentages to figure out how many drops to use when making larger or smaller batches. But, that is on a drops per pound baseline. 

What is their baseline?  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I prefer the drops per pound method of calculation. Although I use percentages to figure out how many drops to use when making larger or smaller batches. But, that is on a drops per pound baseline. 

What is their baseline?  

I don't know what their baseline is. There was no mention of that. I'll have to email them. How many drops are in a pound, by the way?

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

It’s the percentage of the batch. So you calculate .002 percentage of whatever batch size you’re making will give that color result.

So if I'm making a 1 pound batch, I would calculate their percentage of 1 pound? To use the example I provided, 0.025 x 16 ounces = 0.4, and that would be

.4 ounces or .4 drops or what? I'm sorry I seem so dense tonight, but it's just not sinking in.:huh:

33 minutes ago, Quentin said:

So if I'm making a 1 pound batch, I would calculate their percentage of 1 pound? To use the example I provided, 0.025 x 16 ounces = 0.4, and that would be

.4 ounces or .4 drops or what? I'm sorry I seem so dense tonight, but it's just not sinking in.:huh:

Thats what I mean by what is their baseline.  Seems they are giving you a formula for weight but you’re not going to be weighing the dye. You measure by drops. (You could measure by weight, but I’m sure the vast majority of people do not.)

Youre going to have to test anyway. So, if it were me I wouldn’t bother emailing them. Just compute your own system. 

• Thanks 1

They are doing it by weight and assuming you are making large batches so it wouldn’t be that hard to measure out. Smaller batches difficult.

Yes devise your own system. So if one drop to 8 ounces makes the lighter color, then you will use two drops per pound if that makes sense. So you are going to use parts instead of weight for measuring.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, Sebleo said:

Thats what I mean by what is their baseline.  Seems they are giving you a formula for weight but you’re not going to be weighing the dye. You measure by drops. (You could measure by weight, but I’m sure the vast majority of people do not.)

Youre going to have to test anyway. So, if it were me I wouldn’t bother emailing them. Just compute your own system. 

On 4/8/2019 at 6:01 AM, NightLight said:

They are doing it by weight and assuming you are making large batches so it wouldn’t be that hard to measure out. Smaller batches difficult.

Yes devise your own system. So if one drop to 8 ounces makes the lighter color, then you will use two drops per pound if that makes sense. So you are going to use parts instead of weight for measuring.

Thanks to both of you. I understand what you're saying now. This would probably be one of those times when you just start adding drops a little at a time, then pour a little into a jar of cold water until you get to where you want it. Of course, you have to keep notes of how many drops you put in. :)

Edited by Quentin
typo

To make it simple work with one pound of wax. Add one drop of color to wax and blend. 5en do as suggested take some drop out and drip on paper and see what color it solidifies to. If you like that color record that it took xx drops to make that shade.

If you are doing by weight you can be very accurate but this would require a large batch, as measuring drop weight is pretty difficult.

• Thanks 1