Wedding party favors

A dear friend of my daughters is marrying this summer. She is paying for the wedding herself and I know has so little money...I’m thinking of making a small candle as a “party favor” for her guests. It will be a gift we give her. The question becomes—-what fragrance??? (I want to only have 1 scent).   I was thinking of a white cake scent (like wedding cake)...or maybe putting a touch of chocolate in (like grooms cake)...or maybe Daffodil???  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

• Like 2

Yes, a white cake fragrance or even "birthday cake" would be good.

You need to be careful with florals because they can be very overpowering and strong and quite nauseating to some people.   Not all people are into florals.   Actually Daffodil is a great seller for me and it is intensely strong and I wouldn't want to be smelling that all day or if I'm eating, smelling it at the same time.    Let us know what you come up with.

Trappeur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sarah S said:

That's so sweet! I think a white cake fragrance is a good choice. A champagne fragrance might be nice too. Or a floral bouquet. I believe quite a few suppliers also carry a "Wedding Day" FO.

Thanks Sarah S....I’m concerned about a floral because I’m not a real floral fan!  Altho I do like daffodil...hadn’t thought about a champagne....do you have one you like?  I’m honestly leaning toward a white cake and calling it wedding cake or even a lemon cake scent. Does anyone not like lemon???!

15 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Yes, a white cake fragrance or even "birthday cake" would be good.

You need to be careful with florals because they can be very overpowering and strong and quite nauseating to some people.   Not all people are into florals.   Actually Daffodil is a great seller for me and it is intensely strong and I wouldn't want to be smelling that all day or if I'm eating, smelling it at the same time.    Let us know what you come up with.

Trappeur

Totally my thought on florals — altho I like the daffodil one...you bring up a good point. Thanks

20 hours ago, The Candle Nook said:

A dear friend of my daughters is marrying this summer. She is paying for the wedding herself and I know has so little money...I’m thinking of making a small candle as a “party favor” for her guests. It will be a gift we give her. The question becomes—-what fragrance??? (I want to only have 1 scent).   I was thinking of a white cake scent (like wedding cake)...or maybe putting a touch of chocolate in (like grooms cake)...or maybe Daffodil???  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Oh that sounds like so much fun, making wedding favors. After reading comments and thinking about it, I believe a wedding cake/vanilla cake type scent would be a good and safe choice. Aren't cake or vanilla scents popular with lots of people? Some people may not like chocolate scents nor florals as Trappeur suggested. Does the bride not have a preference for the scent?

17 hours ago, Trappeur said:

You need to be careful with florals because they can be very overpowering and strong and quite nauseating to some people.   Not all people are into florals.   Actually Daffodil is a great seller for me and it is intensely strong and I wouldn't want to be smelling that all day or if I'm eating, smelling it at the same time.   

You bring up a good point. I too have noticed the same thing about florals, I don't get it. Some scents will smell terrible or some scents I like right away but then the more I smell them the less I like them. It's disappointing.

20 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Some people may not like chocolate scents nor florals as Trappeur suggested. Does the bride not have a preference for the scent?

The bride may have a preference — but I wanted to “steer her” one way or another. Don’t mind giving her a couple of choices just trying to narrow it down

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Candle Nook said:

Thanks Sarah S....I’m concerned about a floral because I’m not a real floral fan!  Altho I do like daffodil...hadn’t thought about a champagne....do you have one you like?  I’m honestly leaning toward a white cake and calling it wedding cake or even a lemon cake scent. Does anyone not like lemon???!

I've used the Champagne from WSP before and liked it. Re: lemon, I test every lemon scent carefully because they can develop a fuel smell when burning. My daughter loves lemon fragrances. I am not a fan, so she tests them for me. In her room, with her door shut.😂

I'll tell what I would do though, if I were leaning toward the champagne idea, I would try Vanilla Champagne from NG. I have not used it myself (it's on my list to try!), but a lot of people rave about it, including @Trappeur and @Forrest. IDK if NG is a supplier that you already use, but they have good quality oils, a huge selection, and good customer services. Oh yeah and good prices too!

If you have enough time, I would suggest ordering some samples from the wedding themed collection, including the VC, and see what does well in your wax.

• Like 1

Excellent idea. (And you don’t like lemon 😂). I’m not a huge bakery/vanilla fan but my daughter is - so she’s my tester on those!  I have a multitude of FO from NG in my cart.... I’ve never used them but have been reading about them from many I respect on this board. Thanks again for the suggestion!  

• Like 1

Yes, definitely get "Vanilla Champagne"!   You can smell the bubbles, really!   Now how do they get that....that is unbelievable.

Another nice one from them is OMG Olive....I have a store that gets that and it is really nice...soft but holds its own.

Trappeur

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shari said:

I like NG's Sweetgrass too.  I mixed it with some Greet Tea and it's really fresh smelling. Again I make B&B not candles.   I like OMG Olive too.

Thanks Shari and everyone else! — I’ll put that one on the “look for” list. Just sent in my first NG order. Took lots of advice and ordered: vanilla champagne, childrens room (Thanks Tappeur for that suggestion), omg olive and more!  (Need to hit my local supplier for more wax and jars now!)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 1:55 PM, Laura C said:

Oh that sounds like so much fun, making wedding favors. After reading comments and thinking about it, I believe a wedding cake/vanilla cake type scent would be a good and safe choice. Aren't cake or vanilla scents popular with lots of people? Some people may not like chocolate scents nor florals as Trappeur suggested. Does the bride not have a preference for the scent?

I was so proud of Manda -- she told my daughter they were NOT doing wedding party favors because she doesn't agree with a party favor after she has already paid for a reception where they fed everyone!  After taking everyone's advice tho, I had decided no on the floral (daffodil) and was debating between cake and vanilla champagne...so, the next wedding my daughter is in (October) i may make the offer again.  And am definitely making the offer to her bestie who I think will be engaged within the year.

• Like 1

I know you might not can pick one scent that pleases everyone anyway, but I have one friend who absolutely abhors vanilla as a room scent.  I (and she) would go for something kind of fresh outdoorsy.  Cracklin' Birch from NG comes to mind as a non-too-masculine version of an outdoorsy scent.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, Darbla said:

I know you might not can pick one scent that pleases everyone anyway, but I have one friend who absolutely abhors vanilla as a room scent.  I (and she) would go for something kind of fresh outdoorsy.  Cracklin' Birch from NG comes to mind as a non-too-masculine version of an outdoorsy scent.

I am not a vanilla fan either and only pour for those who like it...altho I love the vanilla champagne — you have intrigued me with Cracklin Birch. Will definitely put that on my “list to try” (why oh why do I keep buying new FO 😂)