Has anyone run into this before

I was testing three scented candles this weekend in a bedroom and when I went to check them the fragrance was amazing. So my question is, if I blend the three FOs in equal parts will I get that same fragrance? Logically I would, but this is candle making and every time I try to use logic it fails.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I was testing three scented candles this weekend in a bedroom and when I went to check them the fragrance was amazing. So my question is, if I blend the three FOs in equal parts will I get that same fragrance? Logically I would, but this is candle making and every time I try to use logic it fails.

Maybe.  It depends on how those chemically react with one another in the same candle. 

• Thanks 1

You would think, but that hasn't been my experience.  Usually I find that the proportions need to be adjusted.  Always seems like one FO will kind of take over.  The q tip test is where I start to try to figure it out.  I'd say my blends result in about 50% failures.  Blending is definitely not as easy as you'd think....or maybe I just suck at it. 😩

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

You would think, but that hasn't been my experience.  Usually I find that the proportions need to be adjusted.  Always seems like one FO will kind of take over.  The q tip test is where I start to try to figure it out.  I'd say my blends result in about 50% failures.  Blending is definitely not as easy as you'd think....or maybe I just suck at it. 😩

lol, lol

Trappeur

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I don't understand what your asking?  You want to blend 3 "different" fragrances together?

And so your question is?

Trappeur

My question is will the blend smell the same as the three candles burning together. Looks like the answer is that it should, but it will probably just smell like a week old dead crab.

• Haha 2

Oh I see......now I understand....

hmmmmm...I guess you will just have to test, test, test.....lol.....well, it should you would think...let us know if it does....or doesn't.....very interesting....

Trappeur

18 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Oh I see......now I understand....

hmmmmm...I guess you will just have to test, test, test.....lol.....well, it should you would think...let us know if it does....or doesn't.....very interesting....

Trappeur

I'll be making a test candle Friday in paraffin and burning it w week after that. The FOs were Vanilla Champagne, Bamboo and White Grapefruit, and Tropical Blast 

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Forest are you working with 6006 still....that's the paraffin you use, if I'm not mistaken.

Trappeur

I'm still married to 6006, but I'm having a little fling on the side with 4630 paraffin. Sometimes I just want a short cure time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I'm still married to 6006, but I'm having a little fling on the side with 4630 paraffin. Sometimes I just want a short cure time.

Hilarious.  I've been there.
Now I'm stuck in this weird habit of using 6006 for my bigger jars and 4630 for my small jars.  Seems totally ridiculous to do that, but my wicking is so darn perfect I can't stop.

• Like 3

Hi @Forrest. I like doing that too, burning 2 or so complimentary scents together, it's interesting not to mention a great way to market you products too. I can't speak for paraffin candles because I've mostly been working with coconut wax and some soy. I've had pretty good luck with blending my own custom scents or at least that's what my nose and my husband tells me, LOL. I usually start out with equal amounts/percentages of each FO and adjust from there. That gives you an idea of which scents need to be weaker or stronger or even eliminated. It's something I enjoy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi @Forrest. I like doing that too, burning 2 or so complimentary scents together, it's interesting not to mention a great way to market you products too. I can't speak for paraffin candles because I've mostly been working with coconut wax and some soy. I've had pretty good luck with blending my own custom scents or at least that's what my nose and my husband tells me, LOL. I usually start out with equal amounts/percentages of each FO and adjust from there. That gives you an idea of which scents need to be weaker or stronger or even eliminated. It's something I enjoy.

I used to burn complementary scents in my den, but these days my candles have enough HT that I don't need two candles. I was doings some blending, but I put that aside for now until I get 19 different FOs properly wicked for long cure times. As soon as I get this done I plan on playing with some blends. This blend was an accident, I was just burning 3 candles together to get the wicks right, but now that I have seen the possibilities I'll start using my testing to look for new blending possibilities. 

• Like 1

Seeing now what your scents are, my first reaction is to scale back the Vanilla Champagne unless it's really light Vanilla.  As @bfroberts said do a q-tip test first.  I love blending fo, it's challenging even when you get that q-tip where you want it.  Boy when you hit a home run it's a Victory Dance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Seeing now what your scents are, my first reaction is to scale back the Vanilla Champagne unless it's really light Vanilla.  As @bfroberts said do a q-tip test first.  I love blending fo, it's challenging even when you get that q-tip where you want it.  Boy when you hit a home run it's a Victory Dance!

I think that is good advice, because the other two candles turned out to be overwicked, but not the Vanilla Champagne. So I was probably getting less of that scent anyway

a quick anecdote... not that your FO will do this...  I added .2 oz of Patchouli to 1.3 oz of Lavender (a little over 13% of the total blend).  My wick size in the same candle tsted numberous times without only lavender increased by 4 full sizes. You just don't know what your FO blend will do until fully testing it. The sizes kept creeping up as the test progressed.  Had I abandoned testing after the first burn I'd have some really unhappy customers.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Pam W said:

Well, have you tried it yet???  If mixing the 3 scents doesn't give you what you want, you may try layering the 3 pours...each will burn down into the next layer and so on.  

I haven't, my other hobby has become a business and has kept me busy. I did burn the candles together and I think to get the right balance I need a little extra Bamboo and White Grapefruit and a little less Vanilla Champagne.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, Pam W said:

Well, have you tried it yet???  If mixing the 3 scents doesn't give you what you want, you may try layering the 3 pours...each will burn down into the next layer and so on.  

I just poured it, may test it on Friday:)

On 4/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, Pam W said:

I burned it last night and both my wife and I really like it, I think I got the right balance on the first try.  I used 3g of  Vanilla Champagne, 3.4 g of Tropical Blast and 4g of Bamboo and White Grapefruit. My wick may be a little small, but the flame was perfect, no smoking at all. The problem is it doesn't smell like anything I can relate to, so I'm going to have to pick a random name. I guess I'll name it after my granddaughter.

• Like 2