Amber & Oud

Jeana

Has anyone been successful wicking Flaming Candle's Amber & Oud? I'm using a para soy blend and I've been through CD, HTP, LX, Eco, and Square Braid. All of them drowned.  I really love this scent, I hate to give up. Maybe a good mixer to make it work?

• Sad 1

That stinks. Have you tried backing down on the load? 

I have a couple like that. If eco doesn’t cut it you’re kinda outta luck. You could try square braid, but something in ambers, especially sweet smelling ambers, kills wick fibers. Campfire smoke types are another that totally ruin my burns. 

When I tripped over fragrances prone to this, I noticed he beginning of burns was ok, but a couple of hours into burns you would see the wick slowly but surely self extinguish. I did not notice unless performing thorough burn tests. The burns become progressively worse as the candle burns down.  Customers hate when that happens, lol. I pulled out a very well cured parasoy candle with sweet amber and a CD wick... Burned for maybe an hour before the phenomenon began slowly but surely strangling the flame.

Some aromachemical components singe or block the wick fibers during the burn so it just can't keep up.  I've read some vanillas and vanillins cause this. Definitely common in some smoky, spice, herbal, and amber scents. So frustrating.

You should write Flaming or call them and explain what’s going on with the fragrance and find out if they tested it. My age you have to cut the percentage of the fo. I don’t know this one is it strong? Maybe you don’t need a high percentage. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, TallTayl said:

That stinks. Have you tried backing down on the load? 

I have a couple like that. If eco doesn’t cut it you’re kinda outta luck. You could try square braid, but something in ambers, especially sweet smelling ambers, kills wick fibers. Campfire smoke types are another that totally ruin my burns. 

I made one with 6% and another with 7%. Neither amounts are a lot really. It's pretty much the standard amount I use. I was surprised that Ecos didn't work too. MY first 6% tester did very well with a SQ#2. I thought if it can handle BW, it should be able to handle this FO. I started it from the halfway point in the jar. It did great until the end. It wasn't very strong so I upped it to 7%.Then the flame completely fizzled in the 3 hr with the same wick. Then, when I lit my brand new tester of 6% it did fine for 2, 4 hour burns, now it has a huge shroom, and a very large flame under the shroom. I get really annoyed when second testers don't burn the same as first testers.  I guess this is just one of those scents :( I did a fabulous mix with it and patchouli in a soap that is incredible, so I guess it will just be for soap. 

22 hours ago, Candybee said:

You could try the CSN wicks from CS. The flame burns tall on these wicks so it might just be enough to stand up to the FO. My other suggestion is the same as others have suggested and that's cut the % of fragrance load.

Just my luck I just gave away all my CSN wicks. That would be an interesting try.  I'm only doing 6 or 7%. This scent is so mellow, I can't go any lower than this or it's not worth doing. 

On 3/29/2019 at 3:28 PM, NightLight said:

Are you using any other additives like titanium dioxide - that will kill your wick.

I don't use additives. I've never heard of TD in a candle. This is the only scent I'm having issues with. 

On 3/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, NightLight said:

I have found this as well with smoky fragrances. What you could do if this is happening blend it with something you know burns well in your wax - of course it has to smell good but it will help with these type of fragrances.

If I decide to keep trying it, I think a mix is going to be the only way to make it work. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:55 PM, Trappeur said:

I didn't have a problem using cd's but then again my wax is 464....sorry can't help much.

Trappeur

What size CD did you use in the 464? What size was your container? What % did you use? So, you didn't have any issues at all? Did you have to wick up at all? The soy in my para/soy blend is 415. They usually burn similar for me. I thought having the paraffin in there would make it easier, I guess not. 

57 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Try htp wicks. There are more sizes and the largest burns hotter than eco.

I tried up to 105 and it didn’t even come close to working. I’m only using one of those smaller straight sided amber jars too. It shouldn’t be this hard. 

Edited by Jeana
  • Like 1

I saw this post yesterday and pulled out a tester I poured several months ago with this FO.  It's 6006 in a jelly jar with a CD8, and I'm on the first burn.  I'll let you know how it does in latter burns.  What parasoy are you using?

42 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I saw this post yesterday and pulled out a tester I poured several months ago with this FO.  It's 6006 in a jelly jar with a CD8, and I'm on the first burn.  I'll let you know how it does in latter burns.  What parasoy are you using?

That’s great. Mine do alright until 3-4 hrs. I have some 6006 if it works for you I may try a tester of that wax. What % FO did you use? Don’t you love this scent? I make my own parasoy.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Testing123 said:

I want to write flaming and beg them to reformulate this fragrance. It drowns out everytime with every type of wick. The scent is sooo luxuiorus I love it.

I totally agree! It's an amazing scent. If you make soap put a little patchouli EO with it and its dreamy. 

I thought I got a CD 14 to work in it but on the 3rd burn it still drowned. Very disappointing! I've been trying to mix it with other FOs and it still drowns. And it doesn't smell the same. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with this scent. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 6:26 PM, bfroberts said:

So how did this tester go? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Testing123 said:

I want to write flaming and beg them to reformulate this fragrance. It drowns out everytime with every type of wick. The scent is sooo luxuiorus I love it.

Ooooh I hate that. I keep a stash of eco for these types. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeana said:

I totally agree! It's an amazing scent. If you make soap put a little patchouli EO with it and its dreamy. 

I thought I got a CD 14 to work in it but on the 3rd burn it still drowned. Very disappointing! I've been trying to mix it with other FOs and it still drowns. And it doesn't smell the same. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with this scent. 

A soap would be nice! My bf would especially love that b/c he loves this scent. I use it currently in fragrance warmer. It's been years since I made melt and pour but I think i'll make  a soap for his birthday gift! Thanks for the idea!

Edited by Testing123
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeana said:

So how did this tester go? 

Not well.   I pulled the CD 8 and went up a size, but that wasn't good either.  I repoured another that is wicked with an LX 18, but I haven't burned it yet.   

• Like 1