Ultra strong fragrance oil for candles

On 3/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, CaptnKush said:

https://www.northstar3c.com/shop/Category/Ultra-Strong-Fragrance-Oils

Has anyone used these fragrance oils yet? If so, is there really any difference?

They are intriguing, I've been wanting to try them. I have tried only one of the Ultra FOs, Sage Lavender, from General Wax/CandleMakingSupplies and it is really strong in the bottle and in wax melts. It's a pretty nice scent and I used it at 10% in a mix of IGI 4794 Paraffin and 444 Soy as melts. I certainly want to order some more of their Ultra FOs to test further.

https://www.candlemakingsupplies.net/displayScents.php?category_id=231

Maybe someone has tried the Ultra FOs from Northstar and will respond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Hmm. Make you wonder that all candle fragrance oils have been diluted for sale through supplier to cut cost and gain $$.

Ultra to me means just uncut and used as marketing ploy. I do have a wild imagination.

I think you nailed it right there. Through experience, what have you guys found to be the best fragrance oil brand?

5 hours ago, NightLight said:

Hmm. Make you wonder that all candle fragrance oils have been diluted for sale through supplier to cut cost and gain $$.

Ultra to me means just uncut and used as marketing ploy. I do have a wild imagination.

That's true, you never know, they can basically call things anything they want, I think just about all of us on here have experienced that with one product or another. LOL. I'm glad you mentioned that and it alerted me to my mistake. Specifically regarding the "Ultra" FOs from General Wax that I mentioned, the "Ultra" means they are supposedly made for their "Ultra" coconut wax, I failed to mention that and I just assumed that their word "Premium" indicates uncut or concentrated but that may not be the case and it was a mistake on my part. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pcbrook said:

I have tested a couple of Northstars Ultra-Strong and they did not really seem any stonger than any other FOs.

Thanks for letting us know your experience. I've been wondering that since I have only tested the one scent, I simply could have gotten one of their stronger FOs to begin with.

4 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

I think you nailed it right there. Through experience, what have you guys found to be the best fragrance oil brand?

Myself, I can't answer that with just 1 or even 2 suppliers. There are several suppliers that I buy FOs from that I really like and they have strong c&h scent throw and seem to perform well in different waxes. For instance; Wellington Fragrance, Nature's Garden, The Candlemaker's Store, The Flaming Candle, Bramble Berry, Candles and Supplies, Aztec and so on. I just know what I like so I buy it from whomever but it would be nice to only have to buy from 1 or 2 suppliers.

• 2 years later...

Hi All

Been lurking for years. This topic is part of my search. To find high contrate oil. I have spent several years testing and 99 % of the oils have very little scent. I have been very percice in my testing. My question is do you have to have be a business owner to get these kind of oils?

I found in over 30 years of being into lapidary cutting stones and silver smithing that to get good setting that it was true. If it is the same for oil let me know I Will start working on it. i just want to make candles that you can smell at 4 to 5 % ratieo i would pay 5 -6 dollars per ounce for that

Thanks in advance

Shawn

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Back said:

Hi All

Been lurking for years. This topic is part of my search. To find high contrate oil. I have spent several years testing and 99 % of the oils have very little scent. I have been very percice in my testing. My question is do you have to have be a business owner to get these kind of oils?

I found in over 30 years of being into lapidary cutting stones and silver smithing that to get good setting that it was true. If it is the same for oil let me know I Will start working on it. i just want to make candles that you can smell at 4 to 5 % ratieo i would pay 5 -6 dollars per ounce for that

Thanks in advance

Shawn

Welcome 

no you don’t necessarily “need” to be a business. Many labs will work with you. All require a 25-50 lb min. Purchase. 

some retail available are better than others. I don’t bother with too many retail any more. They cater to multi use buyers that need a fragrance for soap, candles, lotions, etc. those all have different safety requirements, so the lowest common denominator is used to keep them skin safe for those applications. 

if you have not yet, maybe reach out to some perfumers. They can blend aroma chemicals safe for candles that may perform better in your waxes and vessels. The perfumers apprentice was a neat place to learn from. 

Thanks for the reply TallTayl

I sometimes get a 1 track mind and you reply opened a new window for me 😀 It makes me believe that the good stuff is out there. I really want to make a family business out of this.

I found this company https://afi-usa.com/about-us/facility/    ever heard of them ? I will study them I think there min is 10 lbs

I have the space to make it happen.900sq ft is open after cleaning out  my lapidary stuff.

Thanks again

Shawn

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Back said:

Thanks for the reply TallTayl

I sometimes get a 1 track mind and you reply opened a new window for me 😀 It makes me believe that the good stuff is out there. I really want to make a family business out of this.

I found this company https://afi-usa.com/about-us/facility/    ever heard of them ? I will study them I think there min is 10 lbs

I have the space to make it happen.900sq ft is open after cleaning out  my lapidary stuff.

Thanks again

Shawn

Afi is just a compounder like any other lab. They have millions of “recipes” that can be awesome or meh. See if you can reach a good sales rep that will teach you the ropes ❤️

• Like 1

Thanks again for replying

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

fi is just a compounder like any other lab. They have millions of “recipes” that can be awesome or meh. See if you can reach a good sales rep that will teach you the ropes

So I couldnt find much on the net about compounders  I hace spent probally 2 hr on there site and learned a lot. I dont qualify to buy from them.For samples the said on a video to buy samples from a resale but dont give a recomendation who to buy from. Is it this way for all companies?

thanks again

Shawn

2 hours ago, Back said:

Thanks again for replying

So I couldnt find much on the net about compounders  I hace spent probally 2 hr on there site and learned a lot. I dont qualify to buy from them.For samples the said on a video to buy samples from a resale but dont give a recomendation who to buy from. Is it this way for all companies?

thanks again

Shawn

I buy directly from labs. What exactly are you looking for?

Wow cool.

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for oil made for candles only samples from a lab or a verified reseller. That way I have a better feeling it is not diluted. Please correct me if I am wrong but oil of that type you should be able to smell like it or not.

If I can make premium candles my family will help make a business out of it we have many skills.

I have degrees as electronic engineer and business. Been working maintenace in a food process plant for 24 years that make MRE for the military.My boss said I can get parts out of our "junk yard" if i need them

Sorry got off track

Got to find the oil first

Thanks in advance

Shawn

1 hour ago, Back said:

Wow cool.

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for oil made for candles only samples from a lab or a verified reseller. That way I have a better feeling it is not diluted. Please correct me if I am wrong but oil of that type you should be able to smell like it or not.

If I can make premium candles my family will help make a business out of it we have many skills.

I have degrees as electronic engineer and business. Been working maintenace in a food process plant for 24 years that make MRE for the military.My boss said I can get parts out of our "junk yard" if i need them

Sorry got off track

Got to find the oil first

Thanks in advance

Shawn

I understand what you are looking for but it’s not quite as simple as you’re probably thinking. Reputable suppliers aren’t diluting FOs. Some FOs sold at lower price points can be weaker and less complex, but there are tons of great strong oils available through mainstream suppliers like Wholesale Supplies Plus, Candlewic, Rustic Escentuals, Candle Science, etc.  And a fragrance being made only for candles doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be stronger.  Sometimes strength can be compromised to a degree when making an oil skin safe or phthalate free, but it’s not an automatic indicator that the oil will be weak. You also cannot judge how an oil will perform based on a sniff out of the bottle. 

In other words, paying more and buying direct from the manufacturer isn’t a guarantee of success by any means.  I could help you acquire some oils, but to be 100% honest, if you’ve been testing for years and are striking out 99% of the time, it sounds like you’ve got a problem elsewhere.  Where have you been buying your supplies?

To play off of bfroberts on one other point, ultra strong does not mean it smells ultra “good” either.  I’ve had some stinkers that were strong but nauseating 🤢.

for the most part, I lean toward crafters choice brand for retail. It took time to find combos of wax/wick/container that burn the way I like my candles. Not ever wax/container combo is ideal for every fragrance, but once you get onto a track of combos that out like it is easier to eliminate fragrances that don’t live up to expectations.

woods and resins tend to be the hardest to coax ht from.  Florals and colognes the simplest. Citrus falls somewhere in between.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

It has given me motivation to keep trying. I have gotten all my supplies except jars from Natures Garden and I have been using there joy wax. when i said that 99% had no smell that was misleading. Sorry they have smell but very faint and i wouldnt put it on my list of I would try that again. I have had the best luck with there dragons blood. Some orders on that are better than others.

I think next I will try oil from different companies that have been recomended.

In your experiance how many oil do you test before you find one you think will work ?

thanks

Shawn

17 hours ago, Back said:

Thanks for the replies.

It has given me motivation to keep trying. I have gotten all my supplies except jars from Natures Garden and I have been using there joy wax. when i said that 99% had no smell that was misleading. Sorry they have smell but very faint and i wouldnt put it on my list of I would try that again. I have had the best luck with there dragons blood. Some orders on that are better than others.

I think next I will try oil from different companies that have been recomended.

In your experiance how many oil do you test before you find one you think will work ?

thanks

Shawn

I suggest trying other retail suppliers before thinking all are like NG. I tried NG at the beginning like many others and found it to not be what worked best in my candles or body products. Some are strong, some are not. Some just are difficult to get throw out of because of the aromachemicals in particular scent blends. 

I don’t know of anyone personally who uses joy wax. it could be a fine wax, I’m just not familiar with it. I tend to lean toward waxes that are available from multiple sources in case of stock outages. All waxes vary from lot number to lot number, so expect good and bad batches, and learn how to identify the problem and fix it. 

It could be your selection of container dimensions/material, wick, etc. a candle is a system made of several primary variables:

wax

- type

- lot numbers vary

- how it was heated, poured, cured

fragrance 

- type

- source

- %

wick

- series

- size

container

- size

- container shape

- container material

additives

- color

- vybar (most prepared waxes do not need)

- blending your own waxes, etc. 

If you can smell the fragrance in the pour pot and not in the finished candle the issue generally points to the choice of wick, and the cure time of the candle. 

not all waxes work as well in different size containers. Generally speaking, a container that is proportionally taller than wide are easier to wick and get decent HT than one that is wider than tall. Most of my successful candles were made in straight sided 3” wide x 3-4” tall jars. That is the magic size for the many waxes I have chosen to test from paraffin to soy to palm to bees to coconut, etc. 

tapered or irregularly shaped containers are harder to wick than straight sided. The list goes on. 

Thank you so much.

My youngest girl and I am are working on a order for Candle Science for some oil that are rated 5 stars. Also thinking of getting a slab of another kind of wax.

Thanks again for the replies It has got us motivated again.💖

Shawn

15 hours ago, Back said:

Thank you so much.

My youngest girl and I am are working on a order for Candle Science for some oil that are rated 5 stars. Also thinking of getting a slab of another kind of wax.

Thanks again for the replies It has got us motivated again.💖

Shawn

If you are ordering from Candle Science, the following scents always throw very well for me no matter what type of wax I put them in:  Mac Apple, White Current, Sea Salt & Orchid, Christmas Hearth, Apple Maple Bourbon, White Tea, Lux Linen, Cactus Flower & Jade. There are many more but those are what immediately come to mind.

Thanks for the reply.

Our order was

Dragons blood

Mac apple  it was in your list 😀

Mango and coconut

Calla lily

Cranberry wood

And a bag of their igi4267 wax.

I will let you all know how it goes

Thanks again for the motivation

Shawn

I've ordered quite a bit from AFI because they are local to me and I can pick up at their facility. Most of the fragrances I gave gotten from them are good quality. I know for a fact they make some of the fragrances that The Flaming Candle sells (both are metro Atlanta area).