Why do we wick our candles the way we do?

Why do we wick our candles the way we do, when big name candles do not?   

I have recently begun buying store brand, big name candles and testing them just to see how they burn. My results have kinda shocked me to be honest. I have burned one wick, two wick and 3 wick candles and have had similar results. Those results being that I have reached a full melt pool within a matter of 2 hours or less on the first burn.  For example, my latest purchase was a Kringle candle in the 22 oz status type jar. Tall candle, measuring 6 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide.  Within 90 minutes I was at full melt pool and 1/4 in deep all the way around with zero wax hangup. What is this candle going to be doing at the bottom portion 5 inches or so down this glass jar? Im almost too afraid to burn it that far. And its not just Kringle, Yankees medium sized "Perfect Pillar" is a single wick jar that is tall as well. That took less than two hours to reach fmp and that wick was burning pretty hot. Again, what is this jar going to do in the bottom third of the jar? Dont even get me started on these 3 wick BBW type jars. It seems the industry is ok and actually aiming for a quick melt pool.  I tend to follow a few youtube candle reviewers and over the years I have noticed that they give bad reviews on any candle that does not "pool out quick" as they say.  Reading the comments section it seems that the viewers, who are our customers, also want that quick fmp. So what gives?

Now...I certainly know why I wick my candles the way we do and that is safety reasons. I am not willing to sell candles that pool out the way these candles do. But my questions remains unanswered. How can these big corporations morally and safely sell candles that are what appear to be over wicked?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I wick for quicker pool because consumers, the customers need great oompa loompa fragrance hitting their nostrils in a flash.

Many people light the candle for a little bit then put it out and then ruins the candle with tunneling for future burns.

i have some purchased candles. Bath and body works one that if it had a wick you wouldn’t know. Wouldn’t even burn. Useless threw it out. Have another one from Target, I have no idea how this even gets shipped. The wax is so soft, softer than 4627 with one wick in a large can and to be honest that thing will be a torchlight. So that is too extreme.

Middle ground is good to me. Not too fast, not too slow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know what you mean and I don't get it either. I'm very concerned about safety too. I have a tall, skinny 12oz Yankee container candle. In the beginning I trimmed the wick the usual 1/4" and it would reach a full melt pool pretty quick.  After several burns I noticed the jar getting real hot and the flame too tall, would have to trim frequently.  Now that the candle is in the lower portion of the jar I have to keep the wick trimmed to almost a nub in order to avoid a tall flame and an extremely hot jar. I don't like to have to do this and a lot of users wouldn't do this or even know that they need to do this.

I guess it just boils down to what you, as a candle maker, are comfortable with selling and having your name on. What really irks me are these people, so-called or self proclaimed "candle experts" and reviewers or whoever they are that don't actually know jack about what they are talking about. Some of them don't even possess the correct technical knowledge about candles to give a proper review yet they may talk trash about products that may actually be very good if used correctly. A lot of candle reviews and videos I have seen are disturbing, LOL. :o

• Thanks 1

The answer is simple isn’t it? They have teams of lawyers that will refute any claims. Of something went horribly wrong it was “obviously” your fault right? 

If a candle that you or I made burned that way we would be out of business very quickly. If it caused a fire we would lose our homes.  The safety issue of super hot burners is why many rental properties do not allow candles at all! It created a big niche for melts. 

There’s plenty of business for safely wicked candles that don’t make your eyes water. In fact most people appreciate how safe and beautiful properly made candles really are.

• Like 3

I used to obsess over trying to find the right balance of what the youtubers want and what I feel comfortable selling.  At the end of the day, I want to produce a great smelling, clean burning candle.  After thousands of dollars and hundreds of failures I have figured out how to do that AND be able to sleep at night knowing my product is safe.  The first answer to your question that came to mind was....because they have better insurance.  My best answer is....because we are better candle makers than they are. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are consumed with our Craft -  we are proud of what we do and feel we must put out the very best we can - the companies on the other hand are driven by "the bottom line" and making a buck - all it takes is the properly worded warning sticker and the team of corporate lawyers and it's no problem right?

• Like 2