Honest Opinions - 6006

Hello All,

Could someone please give an opinion on this candle.  Wax is 6006. Wick is CD18. Jar is 18 oz Salsa Jar. Fragrance is Black Cherry, 6%. Candle had been burning for 3 1/2 hours, and the previous test burns has been around the 3 - 4 hour mark. There is still a small amount of hang up on the one side, which I am confident can catch up as the candle burns down. Also, the flame is tall as can be in 3 hours even after trimming. The jar is black as you can see. This wax is simply add color and scent, needing nothing more. CD12 - CD 16 rendered no FMP in 3-4 hours of course. Are the flames too high because I still need to move up in size? This wax reminds me of how 4630 acts. Can someone please tell me...What exactly is the issue in this scenario? 

6006-2.png

To me, that looks overwicked by several sizes.  Don’t shoot for a full melt pool on the first couple of burns, especially on a wide jar like that. 6006 is 70% paraffin approximately. It burns easily. By the mid point that will only be hotter. In the last half you’re going to be in a good deal of trouble. 

the jar looks similar in dimension to a McCall’s candle, which does not ever get to a full melt pool,  yet it burns down evenly. 

• Like 1

Yes, as TTayle said....that jar is extremely over wicked.  Try starting with a cd 8 and go from there.   How is the throw?   Burnt smelling?   You want especially hang up on the sides to start off.   Always wick for the bottom of the jar and go from there.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Down down down down.....that’s is way too big as trapp and talltayl stated - I have never used that wax before and not super versed in parasoy but definitely go down in size and search in here what wicks people prefer for that wax, CD may end up not being a good choice as it is a pretty hot wick compared to others 

I don't love CD wicks with 6006, and I rarely use them with that wax.    I think the 70% paraffin in 6006 IS 4630 so that would explain why it acts like 4630.  In my experience, they don't even wick that much differently.  I do think 6006 burns considerably better and cleaner after a long cure.  2 weeks or more is optimal for me.  Is this a freshly poured candle? 

• Like 2

No- its not freshly poured. I actually made it a few years ago and it was in my basement along with other testers. I believe you all matched my thoughts on this, since this jar is around 3 1/2 inches in diam, there is no need to worry about even seeing the liquid side view portion of the MP in the first half of the burn. As long as it reaches from edge to edge,  it will go down. With this one, Trapp - yes - the throw had the burnt smell thing going on.  So...you all have confirmed some things for me. Thanks a bunch. Now, Off to testing.