Help

Brandi

Hi, I’m new to Craftserver. I’m in the process of making my own body butters however I’m having a hard time trying to find information on how much product to use. As far as the oils, butter, and fragrance to include in my butters. Please help or guide me in the right direction. 

A baseline to begin at is 1/3 butter 2/3 oils, but that varies wildly with whatever oils and butters and additives you choose. Some “butters” are exceedingly soft while others are as brittle as can be with lower melt points.

FO typically 0.5-1% is sufficient. Read the usage rates of the fragrances you choose to ensure they are skin safe first. 

most suppliers have formularies. As noted above, brambleberry has some good starter recipes. Wholesale supplies plus, natures garden candles, lotioncrafter, ingredients to die for, and a blog by swift crafty monkey all have formulas.  You’ll need to try a few and figure out what you like in terms of cost, feel, shelf life, heat tolerance (if you plan to sell or ship in summer). 

Pretty sure there must be a few floating ting around here in the recipe section of CraftServer too. Skin butters seem easy until you make and use some for a while. You’ll figure out what you like and will be of to the races. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is waterfree and you have to play with amounts to your liking. If you are looking for thick lotion body butter you have to formulate 

with water, emulsifier, oils and butter and preservative. Just oil body butter you will not need preservative.

Just oils

80% Shea
18% oil
1% Vitamin E (optional)
1% fragrance 

• Thanks 1

Try formula above, whip and let sit and see how you like the texture. Too hard add more oil.

Just to warn you a lot of people have complaints the Shea get grainy - you will feel in the texture like tiny pebbles.

There is a lot written about trying to get rid of that and it can be a big pain.

if you do a body butter with water, like thick one such as body shop you will eliminate this problem, but it’s different technique and you have to preserve. But if you are up to learning, once you know how to make your own lotions and creams you won’t buy them anymore from the drugstore which are mainly mineral oil based.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, there is a learning curve to lotion making, but it isn't the Most. Difficult. Thing. I actually love making it. If you have cooking and kitchen skills you can totally do it. Lotion making is about my favorite thing. I love all about it, the formulation, the infusion, the actual work (blending in a blender, the whole bit.)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iansmommaya said:

Yeah, there is a learning curve to lotion making, but it isn't the Most. Difficult. Thing. I actually love making it. If you have cooking and kitchen skills you can totally do it. Lotion making is about my favorite thing. I love all about it, the formulation, the infusion, the actual work (blending in a blender, the whole bit.)

Me too! I am pretty picky about skinfeel, so I love being able to make custom lotions and butters for myself.

I am not a fan of the anhydrous butters, but as stated above Bramble Berry and WSP have an extensive library of recipes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 2:55 PM, Sarah S said:

Me too! I am pretty picky about skinfeel, so I love being able to make custom lotions and butters for myself.

I am not a fan of the anhydrous butters, but as stated above Bramble Berry and WSP have an extensive library of recipes.

There used to be that scent calculator, Rainbow Meadows (I think...) That was  so helpful and wonderful, too bad a thief ruined it for everyone. I like Susan aka swift craft monkey for formulas, too.

7 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

There used to be that scent calculator, Rainbow Meadows (I think...) That was  so helpful and wonderful, too bad a thief ruined it for everyone. I like Susan aka swift craft monkey for formulas, too.

Susan is a gem! I happily pay the $1 a month to subscribe to her new blog!

• Like 1