Digital scale reading?

Oh Trapp you sound just like me!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

I'll pretend that I never read this post Goldie as you say I need .249oz? lol, lol,......My scale has NO DECIMAL POINTS!   So I would not be able to do that....yeah, call me stupid as stupid goes as I really am!

Trappeur

I can't figure out nuttin mathematical.  I am lucky tho...I just ask my son.  He is very good at it...sure doesnt get it from me.  

Remember, we were all giving you amounts of odor eliminator to use for what you showed in your first post--approximately 1 1/2 pounds of wax.  If you are using a different amount of wax and you want 1% of that amount, the odor eliminator amount will change.  

GoldieMN

• Like 1

Go to wholesalesuppliesplus and find their calculators. You can figure out the exact amount for the batch size.

Also I have a google home cost under 30 bucks that does the math for you! You can ask it what 1 per cent of your batch number and presto a nice little voice tells you the amount. Especially handy for math challenged humans.

This is how I would figure it. (Somebody correct me if I’m wrong)

general math I use is:

___oz of wax x % of FO you want = oz to use

Trap has 1 lb 8.9 oz = 24.9 oz of wax. So

24.9 oz wax x 1 % odor elim = .249 oz of odor elminator

or .25 oz (i would measure up)

DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT!!

i think you have a decimal or your scale would not show 1 lb 8.9 oz. 

Edited by The Candle Nook
Add info

Before going any further in this discussion, let me tell everyone you have not read my thread correctly right from the beginning.

Everyone is figuring 1% of the amount that shows in the picture which is 1lb and 8.9 ounces.   I asked for help in determining what 1% and what 2% is of in a 1 pound candle (NOT THE 1LB AND 8.9OUNCE CANDLE).   I stated right off in the beginning of the thread in the first post that the 1lb and 8.9 ounce

was JUST A PICTURE OF WHAT MY SCALE LOOKS LIKE.  I wanted everyone to see where my scale shows a decimal point area and I even stated that in my thread.    Go back and REREAD my thread......    But no one is answering what I originally asked.   I couldn't figure out what percentage of a 1pound candle is and that is what I need.

Now from what I have learned EVEN with everyone giving me the WRONG answer is that to figure out this percentage I multiply 1 pound (16ounces) times 1% which is 0.16 IN OUNCES.   Now you tell me to convert the ounces to grams which my scale can do but has no decimal on the scale.  I googled this and it says 0.16 in OUNCES equals 4.53 grams.  Then to figure out how much I need if I go with 2% I multiplied 16ounces by 2% and it comes to 0.0032.  Then I googled 0.0032 to convert it to grams and that comes to 9.07 grams  So being I have no decimal point that shows in grams I am going with 9 grams of odor eliminator.   I'm rounding down as I don't want to add more than what I need in Is this not correct what I am doing?

So this is what I have learned.   

Am I correct in thinking what I have just explained?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

This will be easy for you. Type in the search bar of any browser

What is 1 per cent of 16 ounces.

What is 2 percent cent of 16 ounces

.32 ounces

What could be helpful for you is a cheapie scale from Amazon that measure smaller weights more accurately.

You won’t have to round up or down and can be more accurate. It makes it easier.

You got it! Maybe get cheapie scale that do can small accurate measurements for you for test batches.

I have teeny weeny scale for minute measurements for cosmetics but needed to test accurately.

beside Amazon for scales, there is Old Will Knotts.

Thanks Night Light!

But my scale that one of the board members, Jane gave me years ago works just fine for me.

I don't need to get another scale and especially for small accurate measurements as I am not into measuring out in micrometers or teeney weeny scale measurements at all.   I know you need a scale like that for soaps, etc and even some people who make candles even work all the way down to teeney weeny measurements.   When I make candles I never work like that.   I make and pour in 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound, 3/4 pound and full 1 pound increments.  I don't futz around with such tiny small increments.   Granted, I always have left over wax that I do save but all my saved waxes in these tiny dixie cups I buy go towards topping off candles so it is not gone to waste.   But thanks for the info.   All I wanted when I started this thread was how much odor eliminator I need per pound of wax when making candles for the accounts that I sell odor eliminator candles to.   Now I know the ground basis of what I need.  Thanks.

Trappeur

Take a breath, Trap.  We have all given you the way to do it. The math is supported by the pictures you provided so you can work it out for yourself to learn the steps. Don’t over complicate it - it is just a little easy math. 

method 1.

Weigh 16 ounces of wax.

1% of 16 is 16 x 0.01. = 0.16 oz of fragrance.

2% of 16  is 16 x 0.02 = .32

this is the same way you figure out how to add any fo to your candles.  5, 6, 10% fo calculations in all of your other candles are done exactly the same way. You’ve been doing it this way for years.

6% of 16 oz of wax is 16 x 0.06 = 0.96 oz of fo or about 1 oz per lb of wax. Simple right?

Method 2 was given to do this without a calculator if you need a quick number, grams just makes the math easy. Grams is simpler to use than parts of ounces.  If you don’t loke it, stick with ounces, doesn’t matter to me. Grams are just very useful when making a single candle  small amounts. And to double check math. 

Method for grams: 

When you weigh one lb of wax, hit that “units” button to see grams. 

The number will be somewhere around 453 give or take how many extra flakes of wax made that lb your poured.  It is ok.

With no decimal places showing your scale rounds off. It is ok. The decimal place is at the end of the number you see... Just take that number and move the decimal place to the left 2 places to figure out 1%.

That number will be about 4.5.  Measure either 4 or 5 grams of the odor eliminator for 1%. 

If its not strong enough and you want to double it to 2%, the. 4.5x 2 is 9 grams. 

This works for any amount you measure into that wax container. 

Oh no problem TTayle....there isn't any complications on my part here.   I just wasn't getting the answer of the questions I had as everyone just looked at the picture and didn't read that I said the picture was just a picture of my scale and don't use that for getting my answer as I was asking 2 different questions that everyone just didn't really read into.  Everyone did the same exact thing....Matter of fact, it's kinda funny that "no one" got it.   But hey no biggy...I'm not sweating the small stuff...I finally figured out how to do it when you said to convert to grams.

Trappeur

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NightLight said:

WhatI want to know if that additive works! Most are scented!

The additive works awesome NightLight!   I especially love that I can do in any fragrance.   You can buy a small amount just like regular oils from Community Candle.   If you go to order some, they have some really nice oils that I use from them like Christmas Tree, Chestnuts and Brown Sugar, Lux Linen, Orange Cinnamon and Clove and there are others too.

Trappeur:)

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

The additive works awesome NightLight!   I especially love that I can do in any fragrance.   You can buy a small amount just like regular oils from Community Candle.   If you go to order some, they have some really nice oils that I use from them like Christmas Tree, Chestnuts and Brown Sugar, Lux Linen, Orange Cinnamon and Clove and there are others too.

Trappeur:)

So what you're saying is you can add any fragrance to their odor eliminator oil to make it smell however you want but it'll still eliminate odors? I've only tried the one from CS and it does work but I don't like the scent at all.

Yes, exactly Belinda.....

I made up a batch for an account and I had probably 6 different fragrances sitting on top of my stove and also had a batch of odor eliminator made in the mac apple and this scent wiped out all the other scents.   You could only smell the mac apple.   One of my new accounts is already to place another order as they are selling so well and I just delivered their order to them 2 weeks....so all is good...Would you like me to send you some of it so you can test it out?   Can send out on Monday Belinda.

Trappeur

On 3/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, Trappeur said:

Oh boy, you are really confusing me here...so this one tells me to set the scale in grams and then now you say to put to ounces?    I don't care what to set the scale to as long as I weigh out in the right amount.   

The only time I see a decimal point is when I set my scale to pound and ounces and that's the only time a decimal point shows up on my scale.

Trappeur

personally prefer grams but set it to the smaller of whatever standard you choose. If using English set it to ounces, if Metric set it to grams. I convert all of my formulations from pounds to grams.