Digital scale reading?

I hope I can write this the way I'm trying to ask.

To add odor eliminator to a pound of wax, the suggested amount is 1% to 2% for each pound of wax.

I'm not sure I'm measuring correctly on the scale. 

I need 2 readings....

One I need to see what the scale should look like with the 1% of odor eliminator.

The other is to see what the scale should look like with 2% of odor eliminator.

This is the setting I use on the scale.

For example this is a little over 1 1/2pounds of wax and my scale looks like this for that amount.

Trappeur

CIMG2316.JPG

CIMG2317.JPG

I am not a math jockey, but with 24.9 ounces of wax 1% of that is .249 ounces of odor eliminator and 2% is basically .5 ounces.

Is that even your question, @Trappeur?

So rounding down 1% would be .2, so totaling 1 lb 9.1 oz and rounding up 1 lb 9.2 oz. For 2% it would be 1 lb 9.4 oz.

Edited by jerry

The easiest measurement for stuff like this is grams. 

@jerry and I get to the same place so pretty sure my math is ok. 

For 1% 24.9 oz is 705.9 grams. That scale has grams built in under “unit”. Move the decimal place to the left 2 places to calculate 1%. You get  7.06 grams of odor eliminator. Or .248 oz. 

for 2%, 7.06 g x 2 = 14.12 g, or .49 oz. 

• Like 3

I wish someone would help me.

I set my scale to grams and there is no decimal point on my scale for grams and none for ounces either.   This is very aggravating....

Can someone please help me?

Trappeur

With the scale set as you have in the picture, I believe your scale will read:  1 lb.  9.1 oz. for 1%

1 lb.  9.4 oz. for 2% . This is what @jerry is saying as well.  And @TallTayl came up with the same.  Do you want what the scale would look like with just the odor eliminator alone? 

GoldieMN

Edited by GoldieMN

@Trappeur weigh your wax like you just did

hit the unit button til it shows the weight in grams. The number of grams will be about 705 or so grams. Whatever that number is just pretend the Decimal point is at the end. Move the fake decimal point to the left two places it’ll be about 7. That’s the number of grams you need of the fo for 1%

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The easiest measurement for stuff like this is grams. 

@jerry and I get to the same place so pretty sure my math is ok. 

For 1% 24.9 oz is 705.9 grams. That scale has grams built in under “unit”. Move the decimal place to the left 2 places to calculate 1%. You get  7.06 grams of odor eliminator. Or .248 oz. 

for 2%, 7.06 g x 2 = 14.12 g, or .49 oz. 

Since there are no decimal points on grams on my scale doesn't that mean the readings that show up would be in full grams?   So I could just round off what you said TTayle.    For 1% you say I need 7.06 grams of odor eliminator.   So I'll just weigh out 7 grams.    Then for 2% you say I need 14.12 grams of odor eliminator so I will weigh out 14 grams.   That should be ok, right?   

Trappeur

19 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

So @Trappeur, that is 1 lb. 9.1 oz.  for 1% and 1 lb. 9.4 oz. for 2%.  Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong!

GoldieMN

Now you are really confusing me Goldie as I have no idea what you are even talking about.  Where did 9.1 oz come from?

Trappeur

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

With the scale set as you have in the picture, I believe your scale will read:  1 lb.  9.1 oz. for 1%

1 lb.  9.4 oz. for 2% . This is what @jerry is saying as well.  And @TallTayl came up with the same.  Do you want what the scale would look like with just the odor eliminator alone? 

GoldieMN

Yes, exactly!   I want to see what the scale would look like only for the odor elinimator alone....yes, that is what I am asking!

Trappeur

1 minute ago, GoldieMN said:

Do you see in the picture above on your scale the wax weights 1 lb. 8.9 oz.?

When you get to 1 lb. 9.1 oz., you have added 1% of the odor eliminator to the wax.

GoldieMN

No forget what you saw on my scale.   I was just showing what my scale looks like...that's all..I wanted to show where the decimal points are.

Trappeur

1 minute ago, Trappeur said:

Yes, exactly!   I want to see what the scale would look like only for the odor elinimator alone....yes, that is what I am asking!

Trappeur

Trapp... Set the unit button until it only shows OZ. not pounds. Then calculate the total ounces 1 lb. 9.4 oz would be 25.4 oz... 

I just want to know what amount of odor eliminator I should weigh out.   When I make candles I'm not one who futses around with all these little odd ball ounces.   I make candles in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full 1ouncers.

Trappeur

2 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

Trapp... Set the unit button until it only shows OZ. not pounds. Then calculate the total ounces 1 lb. 9.4 oz would be 25.4 oz... 

Oh boy, you are really confusing me here...so this one tells me to set the scale in grams and then now you say to put to ounces?    I don't care what to set the scale to as long as I weigh out in the right amount.   

The only time I see a decimal point is when I set my scale to pound and ounces and that's the only time a decimal point shows up on my scale.

Trappeur

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

Yes trap if you don’t see a decimal it is automatically whole number so the point is at the very end. 

Few of those escali are more accurate than whole grams. 

You got this 

Ok, I got that right and can understand what your saying.   I'm just going to go by what ever you tell me is the correct amount.

Trappeur

5 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

And .498 for 2%.  Again, may round to .5    I'm really laughing out loud as we do this. :)

GoldieMN

Glad someone is laughing as I don't know what in the world I'm doing.

lol.....there, now I'm laughing!

Trappeur

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Ok, so 1% of the odor eliminator for 1 lb. 8.9 oz. of wax  ALONE would read .249 oz. on that scale.  It may round to .25 or even .2 as I am not sure how many decimal places your scale will show.

GoldieMN

I'll pretend that I never read this post Goldie as you say I need .249oz? lol, lol,......My scale has NO DECIMAL POINTS!   So I would not be able to do that....yeah, call me stupid as stupid goes as I really am!

Trappeur

Now @Trappeur, there is a decimal point showing in the picture you posted--between the 8 and the 9.  You are not stupid.  These calculations can be very confusing!  Anyway, place a container on your scale, tare the scale so it weighs 0, now add a tiny bit of odor eliminator to the container until your scale reads .2 ; you are close to the 1% for the amount of wax you said you wanted to use (first post).  Keep adding a teenie bit a little at a time to see if your scale will go to .25 or if it goes to .3.  If .3, then we will talk. :)

GoldieMN