igi 6046

I just poured my first 2 candles with the 6046; I used the 6 oz and 12 oz calypso jars from Glass Now and so far I love this wax!!!  I used a CD4 in the small jar and a CD 8 in the 12 oz and they are burning beautifully on my first 2 test burns.  I'm definitely going to try the suggestion of adding the FO at around 170 to see if that boosts the ht; the ht is great now (I added the FO at 185) but I'll give it a whirl.

• Like 2

I have given it a 3 day cure and it really throws off the scent good especially on the second burn. Pours great at 170ish but will still pull away from the jar, so pouring around 120-130 right at melt point fixes it. I have been trying out some supposedly concentrated fo of orange chili and I can smell it through my whole house. Glad to hear someone else is having good results.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, lightmyfire said:

I just poured my first 2 candles with the 6046; I used the 6 oz and 12 oz calypso jars from Glass Now and so far I love this wax!!!  I used a CD4 in the small jar and a CD 8 in the 12 oz and they are burning beautifully on my first 2 test burns.  I'm definitely going to try the suggestion of adding the FO at around 170 to see if that boosts the ht; the ht is great now (I added the FO at 185) but I'll give it a whirl.

You have any good results with your candles?

26 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

You have any good results with your candles?

The CD4 was perfect in my 6 oz jar (Black Cherry Merlot, CS).  In the 12oz Calypso jar (Earth & Woods, FC), I switched to a CD6 about 1/3 of the way into the jar as it was burning hot with a large melt pool.  The CD 6 is pretty good but is getting fairly hot and starting to mushroom considerably at the bottom 1/3 of the jar.  After reading all of the wick test info above I've decided to pour another tester with both jars and try the HTP's for comparison.  

Edited by lightmyfire
  • Like 1

Ya me and my wife noticed the HT difference after burning one that had a 2 week cure. What change did adding the 464 do? I have some 444 here but haven't blended them yet. I had already switched over to htp 105 for our 10oz tumbler. It still mushroomed but not as bad.

Edited by CaptnKush

I think coconut wax and 464 benefit from a longer cure wether you use them separately or blend. Talltayl and Trappeur have addressed this topic numerous times. I blend the two for a smoother candle especially after the burn, the coconut wax helps with that. Each wax has good and not so good attributes. But even my straight 464 improves with longer cures. What is great about this is I can pour my candles 1-2 months before the times I plan to sell, (Holidays).

I should add, the new wax you are using has more paraffin in it. It would be fun to burn one of those candles a month later and see if the hot throw has improved. Paraffin helps the the throw so maybe the longer cure won’t matter. My coconut wax has a small amt. of paraffin, probably less than 10%. 

Ohhhh, I thought you were using 6046 then added 464 to it. Would be nice if they ever listed the percent of paraffin in the 6046. This stuff seems like it was mixed with 4627 but not a lot. Its got that vaseline like texture on the surface but is still a lot harder wax than just 4627. I can actually break off sections of it. Gonna blend it a bit and experiment, but so far as is I like it a lot.

Edited by CaptnKush

• 4 weeks later...

I love this wax. Very elegant looking. So far it has really good HT. Cold throw is ok, a little on the low side. Definitely burns hot.  Keep that wick trimmed.  I have been using CD and HTP wicks and having good luck so far. Tried blending with a little soy but didn't see any improvement doing that. One thing to note, is that it doesn't have the great glass adhesion that Candle Science claims. I would recommend jars that arent transparent because no matter what temp I poured, by the next morning there were wet spots. I even cleaned each jar thoroughly and heated in oven and still, no avoiding the wet spots unless you have some kind of temperature controlled storage. It would be nice if IGI would let us know percentages of Paraffin and Coconut. Last note, this wax still needs to cure about 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Thank you CaptnKush for your review. I’m hoping for an even greater ht from what I’m using now, 464 blended with Lab co coconut which already has paraffin in it. Im having the same adhesion issues now and then so I’m not hung up on that. I’m content for now but it’s my curiosity that I have to satisfy. Also wanna try cbl 125, another curiosity!

Yes, those proprietary blends are a mystery!

oh, one last question, is this wax smooth after each burn?

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 6:02 AM, CandleRush said:

I should add, the new wax you are using has more paraffin in it. It would be fun to burn one of those candles a month later and see if the hot throw has improved. Paraffin helps the the throw so maybe the longer cure won’t matter. My coconut wax has a small amt. of paraffin, probably less than 10%. 

Gave one of our month old 6046 candles to a friend because at this point my nose and candles isn't good. Its probably better to have a shop to make these in instead of my home so I don't smell candles every minute of the day. Anyways, it was a bamboo lemongrass fo in a 3" tumbler with htp 105 wick. I was told that it was used in their kitchen in a 2 story home. They told me the candle was so strong that they could smell it throughout their upstairs. I was real  happy to hear that. Just ordered a sample of coco 83 to try and can't wait to see the difference. I have 1 candle that is 50/50 444/6046 that is still curing that I am curious about the results. But honestly I just don't wanna deal with soy anymore, just trying to use up what I have of the 444.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 10:09 AM, CandleRush said:

I’m so happy with my coconut waxes, just goes to show you how we each have our own experiences and are so varied. I’ve never had any sooting, sink holes, bad pours or trouble with wicks. I do find they need longer cure times for sure. I’m burning coconut candles I made 4 months ago that are fantastic. I’ve used both lab co and Northwoods wax. Because of my impatience for an earlier hot throw, ive been blending with pro blend 600 which is almost 50% paraffin with great results, a way less curing time and no issues. I would consider trying the new blend but I’m so satisfied with my custom blends, maybe down the road. I am always interested in everyone else’s experiences.

What percentage blending have you found to work the best for you?

• 5 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 7:28 AM, CandleRush said:

I think you’ll find the hot throw improves with coconut wax. I’ve been burning my candles from one and two months ago and cannot believe how great they smell, I use a blend of coconut wax and 464.🌸

Can you tell me what ratio?