igi 6046

1 minute ago, Trappeur said:

it was OK, I didn't get that far with it.  It's another coco wax blend that IMO is still too easy to burn and difficult to wick well and needs some additions to make it viable. If I had it today, I'd probably try blending it with 30, 40 or 50% soy to see how that works.  

The only pre-blended coco wax I've used that I liked out of the box is the Lab Co Coconut wax, which I believe (based on my experiments to duplicate it) is predominantly soy along with coconut and quite a bit of paraffin.   

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 1:11 PM, CaptnKush said:

Just saw that CS is carrying this. Anyone tried this yet?  https://www.candlescience.com/wax/igi-6046-coconut-paraffin-blend-candle-wax

Is this gonna be the new trend? Looks like its packaged like 4627

On CS website for "IGI 6046 COCONUT/PARAFFIN BLEND WAX" it says " This wax was previously named IGI 6570." So I wonder if it was a name change only or if they also reformulated it? Has anyone called CS and asked them or has anyone compared the two waxes?

I think I may have a little bit of my IGI 6570 left. I just may order some of the 6046 to see how it compares. I'm real curious to know because I was not impressed with the 6570 for container candles, except that it was a pretty white wax. Just off the top of my head seems like it had jar adhesion issues, soot issues and made some of my scents smell weird. It would be an answer to my prayers if 6046 is an improved version of 6570.

Aztec is still calling it 6570 https://www.candlemaking.com/igi-6570-vegetable-based-coconut-container-wax-blend-25lb-sample.html.html

Candles and Supplies has it http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/IGI-ParaCoco-Container-Wax-blend-per-case?sc=7&category=333096

Well I just lit my first candle, but only did a 48hr cure so scent is low, but so far its burning really good. I have it in a 12oz status jar with a cd10. Jar adhesion is great. I even had a cold night last night and usually I get some kind of shrinkage, but nothing so far. It is a beautiful wax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Well I just lit my first candle, but only did a 48hr cure so scent is low, but so far its burning really good. I have it in a 12oz status jar with a cd10. Jar adhesion is great. I even had a cold night last night and usually I get some kind of shrinkage, but nothing so far. It is a beautiful wax.

Awesome. Keep us updated if you think of it.

• Like 1

Cd 10 seems to be perfect for the 3" dia status jar with no mushroom.  3hrs and melt pool is just hitting the sides. This was my second 3hr burn.  I poured 2 more in 8oz straight side jar, and I am noticing there is hardly any cold throw with 6% cinnamon chai, but I did try to pour a votive but way too soft.  I thought it would be strong considering this is probably igi 4627 blended with coconut since I have to scoop it out of a bag with ice cream scoop. I poured the remainder of my wax in a votive mold, but it was too soft. However, when I pulled it out of the votive mold it had very good cold throw coming off sides, but not top. Gonna hold these 2 for 2 weeks and see if cure helps.

Edited by CaptnKush
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, strugglebrother said:

I spoke with IGI and it's exactly the same product.. See below

Same exact product. Most all IGI products start as a “R” number and are later assigned a full time code

That's good info to know and thanks for calling and posting @strugglebrother. I meant to call them and forgot, that's what happens if I don't put tasks on my list. LOL. But I'm really disappointed that it's not a new and improved formula. I'm not going to bother ordering any for now.

Edited by Laura C

6 hours ago, Laura C said:

That's good info to know and thanks for calling and posting @strugglebrother. I meant to call them and forgot, that's what happens if I don't put tasks on my list. LOL. But I'm really disappointed that it's not a new and improved formula. I'm not going to bother ordering any for now.

It's a product that needs to be blended with other waxes to work well. At least Cargill is honest about that with their coconut waxes. I was also hoping that is was a new and improved formula.

Candlescience latest wick recommendations for this wax are off as well. They and any other distributor, only recommend what they have on the shelf.

But it's good that they sell it as they have reasonable prices on shipping. I like the wax somewhat but not on its own.

Edited by strugglebrother
  • Thanks 1

Since I am waiting for these to cure I thought I would try out different pour temps, different temps for adding fo in this wax, and also adding 30% 444 soy just to see the changes. So far I am finding if you add fo between 160-170 the cold throw  is soooo  much better,  but blending this wax with soy, and it seems any wax I blend with soy gets bad jar adhesion. WTF!  My house got down to about 65 last night and the only candle with wet spots is the one I added Soy too. I am loving this wax so far by itself. I don't think I have poured a better looking candle, even the colors look good. I have only tried the CD wick so far and it seems to burn great, with a nice melt pool.  Hoping it gets good HT after cure. What is it you guys are not liking about this wax, and which wick do you suggest over the CD?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptnKush said:

Since I am waiting for these to cure I thought I would try out different pour temps, different temps for adding fo in this wax, and also adding 30% 444 soy just to see the changes. So far I am finding if you add fo between 160-170 the cold throw  is soooo  much better,  but blending this wax with soy, and it seems any wax I blend with soy gets bad jar adhesion. WTF!  My house got down to about 65 last night and the only candle with wet spots is the one I added Soy too. I am loving this wax so far by itself. I don't think I have poured a better looking candle, even the colors look good. I have only tried the CD wick so far and it seems to burn great, with a nice melt pool.  Hoping it gets good HT after cure. What is it you guys are not liking about this wax, and which wick do you suggest over the CD?

I don't like the consistency of the burn overall, it's not good enough for me.

Coconut waxes have been marketed as a new natural miracle wax that has the same great hot throw as paraffin. They simply aren't a one wax / one pour, you have to blend it with something else to get it to work. What that is, I have not yet found a good formula for.

It soots easily, mushrooms easily and very easily burn too hot. Especially after burning it for a few hours.

One part of the candle can suddenly start throwing a lot when another part barely throws. So it can have a good hot throw but it's very inconsistent throughout the candle.

I was hoping this wax would be a stable solution to this with added additives and the paraffin, but it isn't. You also get huge sinkholes after pouring.

Saying that you might get it to work in your container... with your fragrance. I had much better luck in tins with it than glass.

Wicksunlimited did the wick testing for this wax for IGI and their final recommendation for this wax is CDN or Sao Vitor wicks.

I have sent 12 different scent configurations to Wicksunlimited in this wax and after extensive testing, they came to the conclusion that CDN wicks were the ONLY wick that burned well in my candles. Everything else failed (they have about 450 different wicks). Although all the candles burn pretty consistently with CDN wicks, they will not give more than a medium to weak throw which is not good enough for me.

Both CD and ECO wicks that CS are recommending are failing in this wax. But then, that's the wicks they sell, why would they recommend anything that actually works? Their test lab also told us that nothing changed with their soy waxes last year. Is it a lab, or a candle burning in a huge office with someone just monitoring the flame and nothing else?

I will not discourage you, it could just be my fragrances and my vessels. Please do post how you get along with the wax. I'm still experimenting every day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

Without looking at my notes this comes to mind and it's also what @strugglebrother said, "It soots easily, mushrooms easily and very easily burn too hot. Especially after burning it for a few hours." Don't remember which wicks I was using. But don't get discouraged because certain things don't work for others, it may work for you. Sounds like you are doing some good tests.

I’m so happy with my coconut waxes, just goes to show you how we each have our own experiences and are so varied. I’ve never had any sooting, sink holes, bad pours or trouble with wicks. I do find they need longer cure times for sure. I’m burning coconut candles I made 4 months ago that are fantastic. I’ve used both lab co and Northwoods wax. Because of my impatience for an earlier hot throw, ive been blending with pro blend 600 which is almost 50% paraffin with great results, a way less curing time and no issues. I would consider trying the new blend but I’m so satisfied with my custom blends, maybe down the road. I am always interested in everyone else’s experiences.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, strugglebrother said:

Wicksunlimited did the wick testing for this wax for IGI and their final recommendation for this wax is CDN or Sao Vitor wicks.

I have sent 12 different scent configurations to Wicksunlimited in this wax and after extensive testing, they came to the conclusion that CDN wicks were the ONLY wick that burned well in my candles. Everything else failed (they have about 450 different wicks). Although all the candles burn pretty consistently with CDN wicks, they will not give more than a medium to weak throw which is not good enough for me.

@strugglebrother that's neat that you have used Wicks Unlimited wick testing service, I'm very glad you shared this info. So were you pleased with the service and test results? Do you recommend it, would you use the service again?

I have considered using their service so many times but just have not done it. I've called and talked to a person there and I can even drop my test candles off to them since I only live a few miles away. I still have this on the back burner for now.

18 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

I’m so happy with my coconut waxes, just goes to show you how we each have our own experiences and are so varied. I’ve never had any sooting, sink holes, bad pours or trouble with wicks. I do find they need longer cure times for sure. I’m burning coconut candles I made 4 months ago that are fantastic. I’ve used both lab co and Northwoods wax. Because of my impatience for an earlier hot throw, ive been blending with pro blend 600 which is almost 50% paraffin with great results, a way less curing time and no issues. I would consider trying the new blend but I’m so satisfied with my custom blends, maybe down the road. I am always interested in everyone else’s experiences.

That's awesome @CandleRush, it's nice to hear some good candle making news! :thumbsup: Sounds like you are making some nice candles. After hearing your story and others that are having success, it's making me excited again to get back at it.

The last few years, I have had a terrible time making a nice, safe candle that I was pleased with while using various soy and coconut waxes and blends. I truly got burned out and finally gave up and started making loose and clamshell wax melts with success. It's been a lot of fun and I have learned so much about other waxes and how they perform. I feel like I will have a fresh set of eyes and more tools in my belt when I do start back to candle making.

59 minutes ago, Laura C said:

@strugglebrother that's neat that you have used Wicks Unlimited wick testing service, I'm very glad you shared this info. So were you pleased with the service and test results? Do you recommend it, would you use the service again?

I have considered using their service so many times but just have not done it. I've called and talked to a person there and I can even drop my test candles off to them since I only live a few miles away. I still have this on the back burner for now.

Yes, they are very helpful and truly sorry that they couldn't get this wax to work for me.

They found great wicks for me in palm wax before.

It's a minimum of 10,000 wicks, which is a bit of an investment, but as normal distributors only carry a few of all wicks there are out there to get a candle to burn good, it could well be worth it.

Edited by strugglebrother
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. The candles that always give me wet spots are those with paraffin even small percentage of 4627.

One of my goals was to make a candle without shrinkage, smooth top and afterburn, and obvi smells good.

This I have done with a blend of natural waxes. You shouldn’t have shrinkage with soy candles - you have to formulate so they don’t shrink in various conditions. 

Ok Im guessing an 8oz candle in a 12 x 24 isnt optimal for testing, so I finally through frustration put it in our bedroom and closed the door for 20 min. Came back and the smell was off the wall with this 6046 blend and 6% fo. I have tried cd, htp and lx wicks because thats all I have at the moment. The cd seems to run hot and get big after a while so I have to keep trimming, but it did give a perfect mp, the htp wasnt so bad, could have gone down a size but I dont have any smaller ones, and the lx seemed to have worked the best. So far not really any mushrooming on either wick, but the lx if you really looked close might have had a little starting to form after an hour, but it was tiny. Only soot so far was from the cd.  I used an 8oz straight sided jar with cd6, htp73, and lx14 with CS Banana nut bread. Gonna make one with bamboo scent to test since the pillar candles we have with that scent are amazing with only 3% fo.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, strugglebrother said:

Coconut waxes have been marketed as a new natural miracle wax that has the same great hot throw as paraffin. They simply aren't a one wax / one pour, you have to blend it with something else to get it to work. 

Amen to all that Brother!

PS: spent last week in JT. The wild flowers are wild this year!