Expert Soap Maker Wanted :)

aptommo

Okay well how about this..... I wanted the rainbow soap but I wanted it round not square/rectangle that I see all over Etsy. I've seen a few that were actual heart shaped but they were all glycerin and I'm not a fan of that look. Does that make it more feasible? :)

So, do you want the rainbow heart inside the round soap?  Or are you just looking for a round soap in rainbow colors?   Sorry, just trying to get a clear picture.  I don't do much with large embeds.   And getting just a rainbow pattern to be in each soap may be a bit difficult too.  Short of just swirls.  Interesting though. 

It wouldnt' be that hard to actually do, however, I can never get straight lines in my rainbow soaps though. 

All you'd have to do is make a rainbow soap, cut it out in a heart shape, then put it inside a pvc pipe mold. 

As said, it wouldn't be hard but it would be extremely time consuming which would drive the price up making it pretty much unaffordable for the amount of soap it would actually yield. 

• Like 1

The issue isn’t how “hard” it is, the issue is how much time it takes.  Each color is essentially another batch of soap. Each layer needs to be poured at the right trace, then allowed to set sufficiently for the next layer. So 6 soap batches for the rainbow, and another batch for the over pour. Then another treatment for the outside.  All this, and hope it cuts clean. 

I do two scents of cold process soap with CP tube embeds and they are the biggest production time takers of all.  The anxiety I feel when making them is laughable. If one embed tube shifts during pour the whole effect is ruined. Regretting ever making them with embeds in the first place because, of course, they are now “expected” to have the embeds. And nobody is willing to pay proportionally more for it than the others on the shelf. 

The one rainbow soap i make I do once a year in a giant block since it takes so darned long to make. And there is always waste. And risk.  If one color or scent is off, 100+ bars are effected. Factoring is waste again raises the cost to make it. 

One could probably make a pvc pipe with tight fitting end caps, lay the pipe as level as humanly possible and drill holes in the long side (which would be the top of the pipe laying down) big enough for pouring To fill the pipe. Pour the soap a extremely thin trace and hope it all fills the pipe evenly in each color,  and levels with no air gaps. If it unmolds cleanly, keeping it centered in the next size pipe for the overpour will be a wee bit tricky.  If it’s too soft the embed will want to lean or bow. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daisymay66 said:

You all are so AMAZING! I have no clue what your talking about but it is just unreal how smart ya are with soap making! :) 

Soap making is not unlike candle making.  Imagine making a candle that looks like the pic in the OP... how many steps? A gazillion, with each posing a different risk in the process.  Might be fun to do once, but not as a production without some equipment 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Soap making is not unlike candle making.  Imagine making a candle that looks like the pic in the OP... how many steps? A gazillion, with each posing a different risk in the process.  Might be fun to do once, but not as a production without some equipment 

That’s why I embrace the pure beauty of natural candles (I know they are not natural ;) but I’m going with it lol :) 

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2019 at 7:24 PM, aptommo said:

I'm trying to find someone that can replicate this bakery roll into an identical soap product. (outside sprinkles not necessary) Could be a wholesale venture!

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.bfbf7a78a6ae2fc51c8e6599bb6254d3.jpg

That is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!  I’d love a slice of soap like this myself 😂❤️

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 11:08 AM, TallTayl said:

You “could” stamp or paint the heart with micas.  It will wash off with the first use or two but it will make the heart. 

YESSSS!!!! So true!  Yes still time consuming, but not nearly as much!  Great idea @TallTayl  😊. And I bet it would turn out really pretty like that too!  

Ok, So I'm gonna go all typical Sponiebr here and actually detail  how I would make this... 

Ok so would pour out flat sheets of each color of the rainbow maybe 1/2" thick.
I'd then cut the strips to form the bands.
I'd then stack them up by color to make the rainbow in a flat sheet.
I'd use a heart shaped cookie cutter to make single hearts. 
I'd then stack these up on top of each other to make the column. 
I'd then take the column and center it in a round tube mold. 

Now there are 2 ways about the next step. 
OPTION 1: PERSONALLY I'd pour out a thin, 1/4" think contrasting color sheet of soap and while the soap was still soft I'd roll in colored Jojoba beads into the surface and then line the tube mold with the beads on directly contacting the sides of the tube mold. Then I'd fill the remaining space with white soap.  

OPTION 2: Just pour in the white surround soap and then after cured I'd hit it with clear M&P and roll it in jojoba beads. 

MASSIVE PITA to make this as a soap, but definitely doable. 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services. 

• Like 1