More FO than manufacturers recommendation for melts

Lulu Belles

I want to start experimenting with clamshell melts and I recently purchased some 4625 based on all of the reviews on this forum. I also have some 4630 so I will try blending the two and see which I like better. My question is, on Candle Science website, it says the max FO is 6% for 4625, but I see a lot of people on here use up to 10% FO in their melts. Is it ok to use up to 10% FO in the 4625 alone or is it only ok if I mix it with 4630 since the 4630 has a 10% max FO? 

Also since I'm on the topic, what ratio do you recommend for the wax? 50/50? 70/30? Thanks for the help! 

I have not used that wax, but I have found a lot of waxes to hold more than the stated max load when it comes to melts. 

Just experiment with different fragrance loads to see if it needs it, if it can hold it, and if adding more oil changes the final smell of the product. 

When you test different levels just know that some fragrances are more prone to syneresis than others.(leaking fragrance)

this os Especially notoceablewith temperature fluctuations between say your house and a car and a mailbox and a house.

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

When you test different levels just know that some fragrances are more prone to syneresis than others.(leaking fragrance)

this os Especially notoceablewith temperature fluctuations between say your house and a car and a mailbox and a house.

Interesting I wasn't aware of that. I will have to look more into that. What exactly is syneresis? Or do you know of any good articles I can read to find out more? 

4 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I have not used that wax, but I have found a lot of waxes to hold more than the stated max load when it comes to melts. 

Just experiment with different fragrance loads to see if it needs it, if it can hold it, and if adding more oil changes the final smell of the product. 

What wax do you use if you don't mind me asking? 

I use feather palm.  It can hold more fo than glass glow which is a container wax. (Syneresis) 

I’ve pushed the limits with soy wax years ago but I couldn’t give exact details. I know I used the old EcoSoya Piller Blend, but not sure what other waxes I used at the time. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, aptommo said:

Here's a dumb question. On melts how would you know if you used too much FO and got leakage? 

No question is dumb 😉 - I have never used over 10% FO in melts and have never seen seepage in melts but I would imagine you would see beads of FO form like you would in candles - candles I have made that had this look like they were out in the sun for a long while and form liquid little droplets all over but I think my issue was additives I used not too much FO as I use 8% in candles and never saw it in many blends of waxes until I started playing with additives 

3 hours ago, aptommo said:

Here's a dumb question. On melts how would you know if you used too much FO and got leakage? 

You will see either droplets of fo on top of the melt or you will see a little puddle, depending on how much leakage is happening.  Certain waxes can only hold so much fo so adding more is just a waste of product.  Doesn't mean you can't test more than mfg suggests, just means when you test it make sure you put it through all scenarios such as heat, cold, humidity etc.

• Like 1