What do I call this blend?

I have a new account and they have decided on a blend I came up with that consists of 6006, soy wax and coconut wax.  My labels arent printed yet but in the template I have the wax listed as "a blend of Soy, Paraffin and Coconut waxes."  

As a customer would you be confused by a candle made with a blend of 3 waxes or is that fairly self explanatory? 

For example, we call Paraffin/soy blends Parasoy. Paraffin/coconut blends Paracoco... etc etc. Is there a correct "name" for a 2 wax blend like mentioned above? 

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 1

Not sure you really need to explain any of it - or if explaining benefits anyone at all. Less is often more with retail/wholesale to avoid potential bias. Think about the candles on the retail shelf at target, they don’t usually make a big deal of the waxes. Those candles just smell good. 

Are you trying to capitalize on popularity of soy or coconut? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Not sure you really need to explain any of it - or if explaining benefits anyone at all. Less is often more with retail/wholesale to avoid potential bias. Think about the candles on the retail shelf at target, they don’t usually make a big deal of the waxes. Those candles just smell good. 

Are you trying to capitalize on popularity of soy or coconut? 

Makes sense, perfect sense actually and what I would prefer to do.  I'm not trying to capitalize on the soy bandwagon, kinda the opposite. I wanna move toward a blend and was only trying to be open and honest about whats in the candle.  But again, your point stands about any candle on the shelf not making a big deal on whats inside in regards to wax.

• Thanks 1

On March 6, 2019 at 7:47 PM, Clear Black said:

Makes sense, perfect sense actually and what I would prefer to do.  I'm not trying to capitalize on the soy bandwagon, kinda the opposite. I wanna move toward a blend and was only trying to be open and honest about whats in the candle.  But again, your point stands about any candle on the shelf not making a big deal on whats inside in regards to wax.

I agree with the others, if I called it anything, I would call it a "custom blend". But even that might be confusing, and that could potentially lose you customers.

It would be different if you were on hand to explain the awesomeness of your waxes, but this sounds like a wholesale account. When your product is in the hands of another, the less that needs explaining the better.

• Thanks 2

I don't see any reason why you can't just not mention what type wax you use.   Most people don't care as long as it is a good smelling candle.

Then on the other hand, since people are turned on when they see the word "soy", if it were me I would say it was a "soy blend".   No one needs to know if you are adding parrafin or coconut wax, and your not lying if you use "soy blend".   So I would be inclined to do that.

Trappeur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I agree with the others, if I called it anything, I would call it a "custom blend". But even that might be confusing, and that could potentially lose you customers.

It would be different if you were on hand to explain the awesomeness of your waxes, but this sounds like a wholesale account. When your product is in the hands of another, the less that needs explaining the better.

So true! And you don’t want to force yourself into a manufacturing corner with one blend! 

What if supply of soy or coconut wax changes, or becomes impossible to get (like coconut has for the past several months)? You’ll need to reformulate to provide candles to your customer, not stop production to meet that label. 

You don't want to have to explain to your WS customers that this batch of candles, which smells just as nice as the last, is some how materially different. They just want to sell candles with as little drama as possible. If it looks good, smells good, and burns well enough so that their customers are happy, then why invite problems you really don’t need?

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 9:37 AM, Trappeur said:

I don't see any reason why you can't just not mention what type wax you use.   Most people don't care as long as it is a good smelling candle.

Then on the other hand, since people are turned on when they see the word "soy", if it were me I would say it was a "soy blend".   No one needs to know if you are adding parrafin or coconut wax, and your not lying if you use "soy blend".   So I would be inclined to do that.

Trappeur

I agree soy blend. I’m wondering if it burns clean. 

I have to agree with what has already been said. No need to explain unless you are asked specifically what wax. I would say it's a proprietary blend. The only reason I would mention soy is if they showed interest in a soy candle. Then I would say it is a soy blend or custom soy blend. Period. 

I only mention this as some customers are specific about soy candles. Soy is still a big draw in my area and I often get asked what my candle wax is.

• Thanks 1

Well, all of these people are agreeing with one another so I'll just go ahead and agree with all of them too. I mean a candle isn't like food or a soap and to be honest I wouldn't even list what was in MY soap if I didn't have to. 

Come to think of it I DON'T have to list what's in my soap, but I do list it  because people are all fussy about the stuff they're rubbing all over their naughty bits. I don't get it, I mean it's not like they're going to be putting it their mout...:blink:

Oh... MY! What a corner I've painted myself into! 

Never mind! It ALL MAKES SENSE now... 

• Haha 3