How many different sized wicks do you use for a single container?

For example I’m making 8oz tins, I need to wick up for some FOs and down for others, so I need at least three wicks, but some need an extra step up or down, so I probably need five different wicks, rather than the long list I have compiled.  I think I’ve gone wick-happy, and I need to reset. So my question is how many different wicks do you use for the various FOs in a single wax in a single type of container?  

• Like 1

As many as it takes.  not only different sizes, but different wick series altogether. Though that is not a practical business decision for most operations. 

Bath and body works / white barn candle had a shelf display a few years back indicating they use more than 50 different wicks in their candles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Realistically, if you're making candles for others, you only have to wick for them not for perfection. I figure if you have a candle that (1) smells nice and (2) melts most of the wax, you have a candle good enough for most folks. (And obviously, safety is number 1. Don't use a wick that will break the container or burn someone's hand.)

I'm actually matching my fo to fit my 3 wicks and container not the other way around. It means sacrificing some fos, yes. But I rather that than be driven mad trying to make a particular scent work.

• Like 2

It can take 4-5 different wicks to get the right one for my usual container with my paraffin wax. If I can't get it in that size range, I give up on the oil.

But I do have every size of HTP and CSN, and several sizes of Premier and cotton core, because I use different types of wax, and I have a few different containers that I like. And I like to use unusual containers for my personal candles.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, TallTayl said:

As many as it takes.  not only different sizes, but different wick series altogether. Though that is not a practical business decision for most operations.

I'm beginning to see what you mean. I've got 19 FOs I'm trying to wick in 8oz tins and from what I've seen so far I doubt more that three of them will have the same wick. I'm definitely riding the struggle bus right now. The good thing is when I'm finished I'll have some properly wicked candles that I can make whenever  I want to. Then I can start working on properly wicked tureens.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I'm beginning to see what you mean. I've got 19 FOs I'm trying to wick in 8oz tins and from what I've seen so far I doubt more that three of them will have the same wick. I'm definitely riding the struggle bus right now. The good thing is when I'm finished I'll have some properly wicked candles that I can make whenever  I want to. Then I can start working on properly wicked tureens.

And when you finish your tests with this particular set of raw materials, there’s no guarantee the cases and bottles will perform the same.  BUT you will know what to do to get the next set to burn within a range of acceptable.  YOU will be in total control of your product. 

I read above someone uses limited fragrances to fit the wick and wax.  All well and good... until the next bottle of FO or next case of wax. Fragrances are reformulated all the time and fall outside of “normal”, just like wax.

Fragrances are not labeled with lot or batch numbers, o there’s literally NO way to know if what is in your hand matches the prior bottle, or the next. How many of us have bought trial sizes that we loved, but later could not get a candle to burn right no matter what we Did? If you’re making a one or two off combo and don’t plan to do any volume, that strategy might hold for quite some time. If you’re in business, and rely on that income, the parameters change dramatically. 

Follow up:

typically one, maybe 2 wick series if you’re lucky will work well with your chosen wax. That really reduces the number of wicks you’ll need to try.

In one container, with my current wax blend various fragrances need up to 7 different sizes within the same jar. Crazy, but true. Without knowing what is in the FO you can’t tell how it will change the burn. Some aroma chemicals really break down that wax. Some clog needing a bigger size to maintain a feeble flame. Blending those bottles rolls the dice over and over. At least it’s easy to test a jar pulling and replacing wicks!

3 fragrances that use the same starting wick  can yield 27 blends at a minimum (3 x 3 x 3). Those blends may or may not end up using the same wick.  But it’s fun to try 🤗

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

And when you finish your tests with this particular set of raw materials, there’s no guarantee the cases and bottles will perform the same.  BUT you will know what to do to get the next set to burn within a range of acceptable.  YOU will be in total control of your product. 

I read above someone uses limited fragrances to fit the wick and wax.  All well and good... until the next bottle of FO or next case of wax. Fragrances are reformulated all the time and fall outside of “normal”, just like wax.

Fragrances are not labeled with lot or batch numbers, o there’s literally NO way to know if what is in your hand matches the prior bottle, or the next. How many of us have bought trial sizes that we loved, but later could not get a candle to burn right no matter what we Did? If you’re making a one or two off combo and don’t plan to do any volume, that strategy might hold for quite some time. If you’re in business, and rely on that income, the parameters change dramatically. 

Like I once said, this is the place to learn everything you need to know about making candles, and why you shouldn’t. Fortunately I have at least enough of each FO to make 20 8oz tins, but I plan to make a dozen of each and use the rest of the FO in my 4627. So if my next wax order doesn’t go south on me I should be able to make enough candles to supply my family for a year. Next year I’ll be testing a new batch of wax and FO and adjusting the wicks accordingly. The big risk with my plan is that the extra cure time these candles will get means they will need a bigger wick, but I’m testing the candles at temps between 58-63, so I’m hoping it balances out. I should know the answer by August.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

There is no such thing as a perfect burn. Just a range of acceptable. As long as it’s not setting the house on fire or snuffing itself out you’re good.

Well now you tell me. A perfect burn is only good for a narrow temperature range, so I'm just looking for good enough and hoping it burns well in six months.

Gee whiz guys, This poor newbies brain is spinning a million miles an hour! Lol! I keep going back and forth with reading somewhere that everything has to be perfect, just acceptable, or doesn't matter. I guess I will go for the middle of the road (acceptable)

if I can't find perfection. With everything I have read I would not take the "doesn't matter" road. I just got my 4726 wax. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WendySue said:

Gee whiz guys, This poor newbies brain is spinning a million miles an hour! Lol! I keep going back and forth with reading somewhere that everything has to be perfect, just acceptable, or doesn't matter. I guess I will go for the middle of the road (acceptable)

if I can't find perfection. With everything I have read I would not take the "doesn't matter" road. I just got my 4726 wax. Wish me luck!

It’s very confusing at the start, just like all new crafts. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy each step. It’s those who rush that get backed into predicaments. It’s a lot like dating. You don’t generally want a proposal on the first date, preferring to get to know the other person through all the seasons before you commit 😉

It does matter in the end, at least as far as creating a candle that is acceptably wicked, not smoking or throwing soot, not petering out, etc. once yo learn how your wax performs in your chosen container the rest becomes simpler. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/12/2019 at 8:59 AM, TallTayl said:

It’s a lot like dating. You don’t generally want a proposal on the first date, preferring to get to know the other person through all the seasons before you commit 😉

You mean I shouldn't have married a 6006 filled tureen? Now you tell me.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 7:10 AM, Forrest said:

For example I’m making 8oz tins, I need to wick up for some FOs and down for others, so I need at least three wicks, but some need an extra step up or down, so I probably need five different wicks, rather than the long list I have compiled.  I think I’ve gone wick-happy, and I need to reset. So my question is how many different wicks do you use for the various FOs in a single wax in a single type of container?  

I'm right there with you on the reset.  When I started this I thought all you did to make a candle was grab some wax and scent, mix it together, pour it in a jar with a wick and presto.  When I realized that wasn't the case I found this board and learned about the testing process, which I jumped into with both feet without ever putting together any kind if plan.  Pretty sad for a guy that's been in quality control for 30 years 

On the subject of wick testing:. I've learned just how important it can be for the wick to be straight from the bottom to the top.  The top is easy enough but how do you guys manage to center the bottom?  I have one of those wick setters but they don't fit my containers.  The company that makes then says they will size them if you ship them the device almond with one of your containers.  That'd great and all but so far I haven't been able to get an email to go through.

So, about that center on the bottom thing.  How do you guys do it?

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sebleo said:

Great question @xxxAlpha71xxx!  Hopefully people will chime in with their tricks because I can’t Center a wick to save myself!  And my wick centering tool isn’t any better than me eye balling it. 

Yeah.  The wick setter was a waste of money.  I have one containerthat it does fit but there's so much wiggle to the shaft that I could probably set it 1/2 in from center in any direction.

Yup, I remember reading here all the various creative techniques for centering, however, my issue is not placing the the wick in the container it’s while the candle sets up and the wick ends up off center. I have used the bow tie metal thingies, chop sticks, tape, straw, etc. but they always shift. Can anyone relate? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Yeah.  The wick setter was a waste of money.  I have one containerthat it does fit but there's so much wiggle to the shaft that I could probably set it 1/2 in from center in any direction.

Exactly! Mine wiggles too. 

• Like 1