Paraffin wax that releases easy from clamshells

Belinda

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but what wax have you used that will pop right out of clams?  I've used several mixes and some will come out very easy while others won't. I would like to stick to all paraffin. I've had good luck with KY para/soy tart wax but would prefer not to have to wait on cure time with the soy in it. The Candle Source wax was wonderful for clams. All paraffin and pops right out but I don't want to have to pay their high shipping to me and I think the only places to get their wax is from them or Swan's candle supply, unless someone knows of at least one more place.

I tired mixing 133 with 4630 to smooth out the tops and they're pretty much stuck in the clam now.  I'm going to have to put my clams in the freezer for a few minutes.

I've used 4625/4630 before and while it comes out of cups like a dream it's kind of hard to get out of clams at times. Who knows, I might've been pouring too  hot but I try to check my temp and make sure it's around 160 before I pour.

I really prefer doing shapes but people around here want clamshells.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hi @Belinda. I've accumulated some suggestions for good wax melt waxes from this site, and I think that includes some of your posts, @aptommo posts and some others, and I have tested some of them. I have not had the chance to test the Hot Throw for all of them yet, that's still in progress. I can say that all of these waxes or wax blends have been easily popping out of clam shells, silicone molds and metal tart molds for me. And there's more wax combos I want to try but these have been doing really good and cold throw has been great. And of course, there's more waxes that have been raved about on here that I want to eventually test too, LOL. 

IGI 4794 Votive/Tart Wax

IGI 4625 Pillar Wax

IGI 4794 Votive/Tart Wax w/IGI 4625 Pillar Wax

IGI 4794 Votive/Tart Wax w/GW 444 Soy Wax

IGI 4625 Pillar Wax w/GW 444 Soy Wax

EcoSoya PB Pillar Blend Soy (I do get various amounts of frosting w/dyed wax even at cool pouring temps so I plan on trying some mixes with the paraffin waxes)

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

I truly don't get all your frosting issues with the PB. I can show you 10+ mold shapes I used recently and none of them came out with frosting, including the actual clamshells I have. :blink: I wish I could help you with that, I really think the PB is the best without mixing in Paraffin.

• Thanks 2

@Laura C, I've used 4625 alone for shapes but have never been able to get it to come out of a clam if poured alone, only when I've mixed it with 4630 or 6006. I do mix 4794 with KY wax or 6006 and it comes out really nice but I just don't want to have to wait on curing time. 

What temp do you pour 4625 into the clamshell? I've even tried it mixed with 4794 at the suggestion of Puma who used to come on here a lot (haven't seen her on here in a while though and miss her!) but it wouldn't pop out of the clam. 

I love 4625 alone or mixed with 4794 or 4786 for shapes though. I even like to blend KY 133 or 143 with one of those.  I used to mix 4625 and 4630 together for clams and some would come right out and some wouldn't. It seems like mixing with 6006 is an easier mix to pop out but there again you have soy which I'd rather not have but I may have to use at least a little bit in clams.

Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

I can't help but I'm curious, is the paraffin just too sticky?

I think I could be pouring too hot but I have noticed over the years that mixing a pillar or votive with 6006 instead of 4630 I have better results with it popping out. I've even used 6006 alone in a clam and it came out pretty easy. I think it has a higher melt point than even 4794. I just wanted to stick with all paraffin to shorten cure time.

11 minutes ago, Belinda said:

What temp do you pour 4625 into the clamshell?

I've even tried it mixed with 4794 at the suggestion of Puma who used to come on here a lot (haven't seen her on here in a while though and miss her!) but it wouldn't pop out of the clam.

4625 alone poured into clam shells between 150-160

50/50 mix of 4625 and 4794 poured into clam shells around 160

I don't pour these waxes any cooler than that in plastic molds because they start gelling quickly and the corners end up not completely filling in or look puffy and rounded.

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

4625 alone poured into clam shells between 150-160

50/50 mix of 4625 and 4794 poured into clam shells around 160

I don't pour these waxes any cooler than that in plastic molds because they start gelling quickly and the corners end up not completely filling in or look puffy and rounded.

Isn't it funny how we can do pretty much the same thing and not get the same results! I poured about the same temp and couldn't get them out for nothing! 

I love The Candle Source wax for clamshells but I hate only being able to get it at only a couple of places and it's very high at Swans and the shipping to me is outrageous! It's more cost effective from TCS but that leaves one place to get it.

I'll have to come up with something even if it's using a little 6006 to smooth out the tops of 4794. I actually love that combo but there again 6006 has a little bit of soy and needs to cure a little longer. Oh well. I guess I can't have everything LOL!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Isn't it funny how we can do pretty much the same thing and not get the same results! I poured about the same temp and couldn't get them out for nothing! 

Wow, that is strange. The same wax sticks to plastic for you but doesn't for me, could have something to do with the humidity, elevation, etc, IDK, obviously. Or fragrance load? I used 6% and 8%. So many things about this hobby baffles me at times, LOL.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

Just now, Laura C said:

Wow, that is strange. The same wax sticks to plastic for you but doesn't for me, could have something to do with the humidity, elevation, etc, IDK, obviously. Or fragrance load? I used 6% and 8%. 

All that plus the fragrance itself and lot number of the wax...

• Like 2

I'm surprised you are having trouble with the 4625/4794 mix. When using clams I use a mix of 4625/4794 50/50. they pop right out and have an amazing throw both cold and hot (depending on the FO of course, but almost all throw well IME) 

Of course even though both of these waxes are pre-blends, I do add both vybar and stearic to my batches, and maybe those additives help with the release. IDK but they literally come right out without any residue or sticking to the clam... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aptommo said:

Belinda, I wonder what effect it would have spraying a small amount of silicone spray on the clamshells before pouring?

Unless it's wiped down carfully, it could cause pit marks. Same as it would in molds.

Don't ask me how I know!! LOL 😕

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Unless it's wiped down carfully, it could cause pit marks. Same as it would in molds.

Don't ask me how I know!! LOL 😕

Oh okay!! I haven't tried it but I just thought maybe since silicone molds have a better release than plastic clamshells it may work. 

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

I'm surprised you are having trouble with the 4625/4794 mix. When using clams I use a mix of 4625/4794 50/50. they pop right out and have an amazing throw both cold and hot (depending on the FO of course, but almost all throw well IME) 

Of course even though both of these waxes are pre-blends, I do add both vybar and stearic to my batches, and maybe those additives help with the release. IDK but they literally come right out without any residue or sticking to the clam... 

I don't even use vybar or stearic and my 4625/4794 blend in wax melts easily pop out of any mold I use. I might have to play around with adding vybar to see if I can improve my Hot Throw.

47 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I don't even use vybar or stearic and my 4625/4794 blend in wax melts easily pop out of any mold I use. I might have to play around with adding vybar to see if I can improve my Hot Throw.

Be careful adding vybar. If too much is added it can bind your scent and then you end up with no throw at all. 

Most blends (such as 4625 and 4794 already have vybar in then so I add only a tsp per 3lb batch - I probably don't need it, but it's what I've been doing since I can remember, and now it's just habit and I haven't tried it without) 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, aptommo said:

Oh okay!! I haven't tried it but I just thought maybe since silicone molds have a better release than plastic clamshells it may work. 

It works, but like I said, it could cause pitting, depending on how it's applied.  

What I now do (for my molds only, not clams, as they release easy but I'm sure the concept would be the same) 

spray a paper towel, lightly, then rub that around the mold. Works like a charm and no pitting since I stopped spraying the actual mold and then trying to wipe the excess away. 

I guess I'm going to have to try that blend again (4625/4794) and see if things are different. Maybe I poured too hot, had too much FO, wasn't holding my tongue right, who knows! LOL! I actually have both of those waxes here now so maybe this weekend I will experiment a little.

The blend I used this past weekend popped right out after a few minutes in the freezer but I just don't want to have to do that. Call me lazy I guess!

• Haha 1