Yee Ha! My First Wholesale Opportunity

Quentin

21 hours ago, Faerywren said:

the idea that some store in Asia wanted to carry my items set off alarm bells big time

I think that's wise. Why would someone like that want to order "expensive" products from the U.S. when they are already dirt cheap in their own country?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Thanks Trapp. That's almost exactly what I told him in my initial (and only) response. I asked him to get back to me and tell me specifically which items he was interested in so I could determine if I could handle his order in the first place. Other than being pleasant and courteous as I would with any prospect, I didn't even hint that I was eager and ready to get going on a deal with him. 

Good going Quentin.   I would have done that....lol

Haven't heard from him yet?

Trappeur

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

A pitfall of “playing along” is computer viruses in those emails that record your keystrokes. This gives them passwords and every single one of your online dealings, such as bank account, credit card numbers, social security number, etc. anything that allows them to easily impersonate you and ruin your credit standing. 

Why waste the time? It’s their game, not yours. They are in a position to win. You are not. 

Why risk your financial security? 

You're not going to get a computer virus by receiving or replying to an email. It's only if you open an attachment or click a link in the email. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, aptommo said:

You're not going to get a computer virus by receiving or replying to an email. It's only if you open an attachment or click a link in the email. 

Partially true.  HTML code in the email itself can capture vital info. Plus think of how absently mindedly we click links. And accidentally click/tap on mobile devices because our fingers are just in the right spot. I have accidentally hit hidden images on my iPad and phone which took a while to clean up. By then it’s too late. I was an IT person for 20+ years in my last life. If it can happen, it will, and I’ve had to clean the mess. Why play with fire?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Partially true.  HTML code in the email itself can capture vital info. Plus think of how absently mindedly we click links. And accidentally click/tap on mobile devices because our fingers are just in the right spot. I have accidentally hit hidden images on my iPad and phone which took a while to clean up. By then it’s too late. I was an IT person for 20+ years in my last life. If it can happen, it will, and I’ve had to clean the mess. Why play with fire?

You're right on the not playing with fire but I'll just say that I've been in the IT field for as long as you and I've never once had a virus on my machine (knock on wood). 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Quentin said:

He did include a phone number. I tried to find his name on Facebook. I found similar names but not his. I'll remain cautious. It's really curious that he asked if I took credit cards that are issued in the United States. Since he was on my website, he would have seen that I do. So far, he hasn't replied to my response to his inquiry from my site. Maybe I said something that spooked him off. 

Just another example of a scam type email. Notice he never uses details for which product, his identity, store name either. If someone is truly interested in starting a wholesale account they want to make sure they introduce themselves properly and let you know what products they want to see in their shop. They don't focus on shipping or credit cards which is the central theme in a scammers email. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

They don't focus on shipping or credit cards which is the central theme in a scammers email.

...and the credit card acceptance was the main theme of this guy's inquiry. Very good point you make.

Just now, Quentin said:

...and the credit card acceptance was the main theme of this guy's inquiry. Very good point you make.

I just wonder if he got spooked when I told him I use Square to take credit cards. Would that have made any difference ya think?

5 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I just wonder if he got spooked when I told him I use Square to take credit cards. Would that have made any difference ya think?

With square if you are manually inputting a number and not using the chip you are automatically on the hook for all of the charges if it’s a fraudulent card.

If you read the fine print of the square agreement if any other fraudulent charges appear against that card you are liable for those as well.

At the end of the day the question becomes how much money can you afford to lose? Is the risk worth the reward?

I do not manually accept credit cards through my website any more. I push them through PayPal so they enter it securely themselves and I never have that information. They do not need to have a PayPal account to use the credit card feature.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Square has an invoicing feature you can send an invoice via email and the customer inputs their info instead of you doing it. I have used it often and its a nice feature to have when someone purchases something not on my website.

Now that's something I didn't know about Square. I most definitely will check into that! Most certainly. 

Huge scam.  I get 4-5 of these type emails a year.   You will lose money and your product if you do it.   I've read quite a few stories where people did it.   Once in awhile if I'm not busy I'll mess with them. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, Candybee said:

Square has an invoicing feature you can send an invoice via email and the customer inputs their info instead of you doing it. I have used it often and its a nice feature to have when someone purchases something not on my website.

I found the invoicing feature on Square. Thanks for directing me to that. It will come in handy.

• Like 1