Wicking Frustration

My frustration is that it seems like every time I need to wick up or down the next wick in the series  is to large or small. For example the pictures are Premier 700 series wicks in 6006 with no FO. I couldn’t properly wick this candle because the WI735 is too small and the WI745 is too large, what I need is a WI 740, but they don’t make that one. It seems like every wick series has this issue. Why don’t they make wicks with more size varieties?

IMG_2061.thumb.jpg.b956e431cdd12ef883672d16b6481545.jpgIMG_2062.thumb.jpg.8ae988eb2ed724b7a3694bf0dfa45dcb.jpgIMG_2063.thumb.jpg.1049099dd6c89a3bcc00653fb2ea1556.jpg

Premiers come in an abundance of sizes.  Including a P740 which you can get at Aztec.  Basically Premiers come in every increment of 5- 720, 725, 730..etc.  and in some of the larger sizes the increments are even smaller. 775,777,780 etc..

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pughaus said:

Premiers come in an abundance of sizes.  Including a P740 which you can get at Aztec.  Basically Premiers come in every increment of 5- 720, 725, 730..etc.  and in some of the larger sizes the increments are even smaller. 775,777,780 etc..

Now I'm starting to get a little paranoid, they have 720s, 730s, 750s, 760s, but no 740s. I think their out to get me

Same frustration in ANY series of wicks.  Why can't the wax and wick companies get in bed together the same way that doctors and pharmaceutical companies do?  Oh, wait . . . that's why we have an opioid epidemic.  (Waiting for TT to shift me to the off-topic, time-out area for being bad.)

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

Same frustration in ANY series of wicks.  Why can't the wax and wick companies get in bed together the same way that doctors and pharmaceutical companies do?  Oh, wait . . . that's why we have an opioid epidemic.  (Waiting for TT to shift me to the off-topic, time-out area for being bad.)

I think they have, that's why I have dozens of different wicks, but I never have the right one. The wax is formulated so that no wick is a perfect fit.

Hey Forest,

Got a question for ya.    I know how you do your testings like the way TTayle suggests with no oil and you do them in cookie sheets, etc.    My question is do you determine your wick size what to go with from the way you test and then do you start all over but with oil added the next time?

I was also wondering, do you use the same size wick that you selected from your wick testing meaning from the bare wax in the beginning or do you know you have to automatically use the next size wick now that you are going to be using an oil?

Trappeur

(Did I make myself clear)? lol.....Boy I can confuse myself so easily....

Actually what I am asking is naked wax and wax with oil added into it use the same size wicks?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

On 2/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, Trappeur said:

Hey Forest,

Got a question for ya.    I know how you do your testings like the way TTayle suggests with no oil and you do them in cookie sheets, etc.    My question is do you determine your wick size what to go with from the way you test and then do you start all over but with oil added the next time?

I was also wondering, do you use the same size wick that you selected from your wick testing meaning from the bare wax in the beginning or do you know you have to automatically use the next size wick now that you are going to be using an oil?

Trappeur

(Did I make myself clear)? lol.....Boy I can confuse myself so easily....

Actually what I am asking is naked wax and wax with oil added into it use the same size wicks?

Trappeur

Well I'm not an expert, but so far I would say that most wax with FO needs a different wick than wax without FO. My recent testing has been to develop a list of wicks, from largest to smallest that I might use for my 8oz tins. My baseline wick is a 51 zinc, that is what bfroberts recommended and she's one smart lady. So I test any new FO with a 51 zinc and wick up or down according to need. Orange peel and cinnamon needs a much bigger wick, but Vanilla Champagne needs a slightly smaller one.  Did that answer your question?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forrest said:

Well I'm not an expert, but so far I would say that most wax with FO needs a different wick than wax without FO. My recent testing has been to develop a list of wicks, from largest to smallest that I might use for my 8oz tins. My baseline wick is a 51 zinc, that is what bfroberts recommended and she's one smart lady. So I test any new FO with a 51 zinc and wick up or down according to need. Orange peel and cinnamon needs a much bigger wick, but Vanilla Champagne needs a slightly smaller one.  Did that answer your question?

Great explination! Clear and concise!

• Like 1