5 Best Bakery Scents

Sebleo

That’s a tough one for me as I dislike bakery scents in a candle so much I find I don’t add/make them nearly enough 

I would think something cinnamon like cinnamon buns or cinnamon vanilla or apples and cinnamon 

something blueberry like a cobbler or a pie 

Something simple like a cupcake or a cake batter

something pumpkin and maybe something different like you see pop up in candle places like the caramels and waffles and such 🤷‍♀️

Need to work on this myself as people do ask I just don’t have many 

I forgot a lemon - I have made lemon pound cake in the past from peak but it smelled like fruity pebbles to me and I have a sample of Fillmore iced lemon biscotti and that one does smell pretty good oob 

Edited by moonshine

I love bakery scents so narrowing it down to 6 would be hard but I'll give it a try:

Lemon Pound Cake from FB for sure

Apple Pie is a given

Like you said something with vanilla like Sugar Cookie

Caramel Pecan Pie from Aztec is good

Something with Cinnamon like Cinnamon Buns

I love Blueberry Cobbler from Cierra; Aztec's was good too.

I sell  so many different kinds of Pumpkin but only in the fall.

• Like 1

@moonshine I am the same way, that’s why I asked!! 

Im not a huge fan of the foodie smells so I want to make sure I carry the types that are most popular. 

@aptommo I love peppermint bark but have had zero interest so far. People loved it years ago when I made candles, but I can’t give it away now. 😕

@GailC thanks for your input. That really helps. 

3 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

@aptommo I love peppermint bark but have had zero interest so far. People loved it years ago when I made candles, but I can’t give it away now. 😕

I was honestly surprised at my craft fair at how few I sold. I even had it melting and everyone commented on how good it smelled but most bought something else. I took 28 bags and returned with 19. I still love it, it's one of my favorite smells ever and I'll melt it all myself. :)

I do wonder if it was sold as another name if it would be any better? 

I'm up against this all the time....so lets see

Lemon biscotti or lemon pound cake

Some type of apple spice

Pumpkins sell for me all year long so maybe a pumpkin pecan waffle or pumpkin caramel

Hot Apple Pie

Cinnamon Buns or some type cinnamon

Coffee sells wonderful like caramel coffee latte.

• Like 1

Oh my! I'm a bakery lover so narrowing it down is going to be tough.

Mrs. Claus Cookies for sure

Pumpkin Vanilla Marshmallow or Pumpkin Spice

Lemon biscotti from Fillmore or Iced lemon cookies from Aztec or Lemon Pound cake from Peak

Apple Cinnamon from Lonestar

Snickerdoodle from JS

Strawberry White Cake-JS

Blueberry Cheesecake -CS

Key Lime Pie-RE

I know that's not really narrowing it down LOL! I knew picking only 5 would be next to impossible.

• Like 3

Definitely a cinnamon. Cinn Raison Bread from BC is outstanding. ICS has many cinnamon based bakery FOs that are excellent.

Lemon is always good, it's a fragrance that seems to be under-represented at the big chain stores. The Lemon Biscotti from Filmore is amazing.

Some kind of fruit, apple pie or berry brûlée, or a muffin... Not a fan of those, so I can't help there.

Sugar cookie or cake batter type - again ICS is my go-to for that, although I believe CW has an excellent  sugar cookie.

Some kind of caramel, ICS has a super strong one that is great for blending.

Some kind of pumpkin.

If you don't like bakery types, why pour them? I know they can be popular with customers, but surely there is some kind of compromise that would resonate with your branding? Like instead of a sugar cookie, try Pink Sugar. Or instead of a vanilla try Vanilla Lace. A good compromise for a cinnamon would be Havannah Nights from RE, or a Witche's Brew dupe. There are a ton of possibilities with coffee fragrances too.

I just know that there are a lot of fragrance types that I dislike intensely (lavender, clean cotton, any laundry dupe really...), so I just don't offer them, or I try to find a version that doesn't make me gag. That's just my .02 though!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I'm up against this all the time....so lets see

Lemon biscotti or lemon pound cake

Some type of apple spice

Pumpkins sell for me all year long so maybe a pumpkin pecan waffle or pumpkin caramel

Hot Apple Pie

Cinnamon Buns or some type cinnamon

Coffee sells wonderful like caramel coffee latte.

Yes coffee is a big draw for me too and I just noticed I haven't made any for my craft fair, some with apple pie. Yikes. Oh well. 

Also Coffee Cake and Spice from Bulk Apothecary is really nice.

17 hours ago, Sarah S said:

If you don't like bakery types, why pour them? 

If I only poured stuff I like I would have a very limited collection of fragrances!  It’s not that they don’t smell good to me, it’s just I wouldn’t burn them myself over spa type fragrances. 

Reminds me of @aptommo‘s situation with the peppermint bark. People liked the smell but didn’t purchase it. 

Everyone is pretty much suggesting the same type of fragrances: lemon, blueberry, cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin, caramel. That’s pretty much what I was thinking, so it’s good to know I’m on the right track with what’s popular. 

@Belinda I see you get some oils from Lonestar. I have their blueberry cobbler which I think is fantastic.  I see your blueberry choice is the cheesecake from CS. Have you tried LS blueberry cobbler?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sebleo said:

If I only poured stuff I like I would have a very limited collection of fragrances!  It’s not that they don’t smell good to me, it’s just I wouldn’t burn them myself over spa type fragrances. 

Reminds me of @aptommo‘s situation with the peppermint bark. People liked the smell but didn’t purchase it. 

Everyone is pretty much suggesting the same type of fragrances: lemon, blueberry, cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin, caramel. That’s pretty much what I was thinking, so it’s good to know I’m on the right track with what’s popular. 

@Belinda I see you get some oils from Lonestar. I have their blueberry cobbler which I think is fantastic.  I see your blueberry choice is the cheesecake from CS. Have you tried LS blueberry cobbler?

I haven't tried their blueberry cobbler but that sounds great! I love their apple cinnamon, leather, butt naked, leather (although I love the leather from Texas Candle Supply and The Candle Source too) and a few others, some of which I've not put in wax yet so I can only give an OOB opinion. I see their blueberry cobbler has a ton of great reviews so I might have to order that one! I've used the one from NG and I thought it was pretty good but this one sounds better.

@Belinda that is the only blueberry fragrance I have tried. I got it based on the great reviews and that it is a year round best seller for them. I liked it so much I never tested any others. 

I also use their leather and butt naked. I’m going to try their Apple cinnamon on your suggestion. I was not impressed with their baked apple pie. 

My other favorites from Lonestar are:

French Market

Honey Lavender Gelato

Olive Leaves

Ginger and Lime

Sea Petals

Drunken Pumpkin 

Creamy Vanilla

White Nectarine & Pink Coral

Hansel & Gretals House

Amaretto

Its kind of hard to think of them all because most of them I change the name and I can’t remember what the original is called!

Whatever they call their Fresh Cut Roses or Rose Petals is spot on for roses. And strong!

And the Apple butter pumpkin that was added last year was great! I put it in wax to test and was going to order more to add this past fall/winter but they stayed out of stock. So I will be buying some this year.  

• Like 1

@Sebleo, thanks for the list! I have Honey Lavender Gelato but have never put it in wax. I think I'll try to get to that this weekend. 

Do you live in Texas? I was just wondering since they're located in Texas and you use leather. I sell more leather than any scent! Texans love it! Most except for this one LOL!

• Haha 1

@Belinda @GailC @Trappeur @Sarah S @moonshine @aptommo

Thank you you for your replies. I see a lot of you mentioned lemon pound cake and iced lemon biscotti. I have been using lemon poppyseed by Nature’s Garden and I really like it. You get the lemon and the cake batter notes. 

Have any any of you tried that one to compare to the ones you have suggested?  I’m trying to keep my supplier list down as much as possible but if there is a better lemon scent out there, I’ll bite the bullet and do what I have to do!

Edited by Sebleo
Typos
  • Like 1

@Belinda yes I live in Texas!  I love their leather. But it’s the only scent that has gone bad over time in my wax. I have some about a year old and it smells sour almost. It’s the only fragrance to do that to me. I just make smaller batches of it now. 

Im glad I found the honey Lavender because I can’t stand Lavender at all!  The honey really smoothed our the bitterness of the Lavender. It’s one of my favorite fragrances!

2 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

@Belinda yes I live in Texas!  I love their leather. But it’s the only scent that has gone bad over time in my wax. I have some about a year old and it smells sour almost. It’s the only fragrance to do that to me. I just make smaller batches of it now. 

Im glad I found the honey Lavender because I can’t stand Lavender at all!  The honey really smoothed our the bitterness of the Lavender. It’s one of my favorite fragrances!

I'm glad you told me about leather going bad. It's the only scent I've repeatedly ordered over and over again, whether it's from Texas Candle Supply or LS or The Candle Source.

Where in Texas do you live? I'm in Cleveland, about 50 miles north of Houston.

1 hour ago, Sebleo said:

I have Aztec's Leather and it smells amazing. I hope it doesn't go bad, I have a bunch of it waxed up into melts sitting.

1 hour ago, Sebleo said:

@Belinda @GailC @Trappeur @Sarah S @moonshine @aptommo

Thank you you for your replies. I see a lot of you mentioned lemon pound cake and iced lemon biscotti. I have been using lemon poppyseed by Nature’s Garden and I really like it. You get the lemon and the cake batter notes. 

Have any any of you tried that one to compare to the ones you have suggested?  I’m trying to keep my supplier list down as much as possible but if there is a better lemon scent out there, I’ll bite the bullet and do what I have to do!

I haven't tried that one form NG, sorry! I have not had the best results with their oils in candles, although I have many of theirs that I love in soap.

It looks to me like you have some great bakery scents already! I absolutely count H&Gs House as a bakery, and I would count the Drunken Pumpkin and the Lemon Poppy one too. And the Blueberry Cobbler! I think you have more bakery than I do, if you count my ten varieties of cinnamon donuts/strudel/bread/buns/sticks as all one thing. 😂

@Belinda I’m 3 hours north of you in Marshall, Tx. Right over the state line is Shreveport, La. 

@Sarah S yeah, I didn’t have much luck early in my candle career with NG oils. Mostly I didn’t like what I chose. Maybe it’s me and not them! I have much better odds picking oils I like with other companies. What really irks me with them is that *every* single oil is strong and works perfectly in every wax application. With thousands of oils, that’s just not possible. So, how can I believe anything they say? I digress. 

As as far as the leather going bad. Maybe it was the bottle. Maybe my application. Maybe my storage over the year. I don’t know. I’m just taking precaution to not have so much of that on hand. 

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I haven't tried that one form NG, sorry! I have not had the best results with their oils in candles, although I have many of theirs that I love in soap.

It looks to me like you have some great bakery scents already! I absolutely count H&Gs House as a bakery, and I would count the Drunken Pumpkin and the Lemon Poppy one too. And the Blueberry Cobbler! I think you have more bakery than I do, if you count my ten varieties of cinnamon donuts/strudel/bread/buns/sticks as all one thing. 😂

Drunken Pumkin?? Never heard of that :)