Price increases on everything!

franu61

Anyone else notice that prices are going way up?  Wax up $10 for 50 pound box at CS.  My M&P  bulk soap base up $11 per 25 pound box , plus now only offering flat rate shipping which is higher for me, at BB.  SKS sent an email that tins will go up 6 to 25%.  USPS shipping up.   I have been in business since 2011 and I've never seen such big jumps in price before.  Of course we will have to pass these on to our customers.   I haven't actually run numbers yet,  but seems like I'd have to raise prices about a buck per candle,  and buck for bar of soap.  I don't think it will go over very well if I  jump my prices that much, so that means taking a hit.

2 hours ago, Lighten Up said:

Yes, I am noticing price increases on almost everything, as I am getting orders together for spring fundraisers. I read somewhere that we could thank the tariffs and the fire(s?) in Europe that has affected the raw ingredients in fragrance oils.

In the email from sks they said the increase on tins was a result of the tariffs

I'm not sure what to make of this but I DO know that back in 2004, the same phenomenon began happening and by October, 2008, the Great Crash arrived in all it's splendor.  I will say that I heeded these warnings early and got out by the end of 2004.  I sure hope this isn't a repeat.  Candles and other disposable income "extras" are not recession-proof.

I'm no economist, but what does it mean when consumer spending/confidence is high and prices are also increasing?  These are traditionally mutually exclusive.  I personally plan to take full advantage of consumers who feel they have money to burn.  Whether that's reality or not isn't my concern.  I'm not ashamed to admit to being an opportunist.  All smart entrepreneurs are.  Penn State traffic cuts directly through our little burg.  I had Penn State licensing years ago and plan on doing it again this fall.  People who are securely retired or can take days off work to travel in expensive motor homes to see a football game are my target audience.  People who appreciate quality and are willing to pay for it.

1 hour ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Same here.  Etsy raised its fees last summer, so accordingly, I raised my prices there.  

Same. I had to raise my prices 5% to cover their new fees 

I raised the prices 10% on my in person event and sold even more. So you just don’t know.