Getting wax out of a Presto Pot

8 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

I added a spout to mine. It comes out so fast no heat is lost when pouring into a warmed pour pot. 

Same. I will say that adding the spout ended up being a lot more work than I anticipated because it required a non-standard bit so that I could drill a hole large enough for the spout. Next time I might look to buy one that someone has already converted. But, all in all, I love my Presto pot so so much. I generally just add my FO straight to the PP, stir, then use the spout to fill a funnel neck pitcher and pour into the containers. Because the PP has a non-stick coating all the wax comes out and then I just wipe it out when I'm finished.

• Thanks 1

I also use a ladle and scoop it into my waiting Pyrex measuring cup/bowl. I lose a bit of heat but I find that if I let the wax heat to just over 200 degrees then ladle it into my bowl it's just under about 190 at that point. Then I go ahead and add in any colors I plan to use and when it gets down to 180-185 I add the FO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guys, I bought my Presto with the spout already installed.  I forget where but they're available shovel-ready online.  Mine holds about 11 pounds so if I'm making 10, 16 oz. candles, I weigh the wax and get it melting.  Reduce heat, keep an eye on that thermometer, and add FO.  As long as you're already wicked-up, it takes about 30 seconds to fill a (warmed) pouring pitcher so not much heat loss.  When I need to pour new testers, I fill the Presto full with no scent and then use a (warmed) glass Pyrex.  Add FO to the Pyrex first, add wax, stir well, and pour.  The very best equipment I ever used for small pours (25 lbs) was an old coffee urn.  My dad is in the coffee business and when we realized that coffee and wax were both maintained at 180F, he gave me an old urn.  It's water jacketed, with 220 plug, pour spigot, and can hold full slabs (no more chopping!).  If you can find an old coffee urn, it's perfect.  Caveat:  After about 3 years of constant use and zero maintenance, wax seeped into the wiring and it did catch on fire one day.  Had a fire extinguisher handy so no harm.  She was a good old girl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

The very best equipment I ever used for small pours (25 lbs) was an old coffee urn.  My dad is in the coffee business and when we realized that coffee and wax were both maintained at 180F, he gave me an old urn.  It's water jacketed, with 220 plug, pour spigot, and can hold full slabs (no more chopping!).  If you can find an old coffee urn, it's perfect.  Caveat:  After about 3 years of constant use and zero maintenance, wax seeped into the wiring and it did catch on fire one day.  Had a fire extinguisher handy so no harm.  She was a good old girl.

Interesting and very helpful, love that it maintains temperatures and already has a pour spigot.  Also love that it is the same price as a presto (that has no spigot)...the one that holds around the same amount as a presto.  Will be trying one out, thank you so much!

Edit to add: not so much loving the fire aspect 😂

Edited by lovelyscents
  • Like 1

The larger of the presto models hold exactly the right amount of wax for 30 8 oz tins. The taller size pour pot holds the right amount for 10 tins.  So lining up 3 tall pour pots makes quick work.

When the presto is  full, a short pour pot is a ladelto dip in to fill a tall pour pot.  After the wax level in the presto is lower and easy enough to pick up and pour directly into a pour pot. A ladle works too if you want the exercise. 

You dont lose lose too much heat that way since there’s enough mass to keep the pour pots warm for a good while. 

Im not a big fan of scenting right in the presto. It never really seems to come clean enough during a session.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I love the spigot but have to warn you that even the best made will leak after time.  I have bought them already made and my husband made me one.  Place it on a cookie sheet if you're going to use a spigot. then you have easy clean up.

This is true. My spout drips a bit so I usually put a piece of paper towel on the floor below it. Still it's worth it for overall ease of use.

55 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I love the spigot but have to warn you that even the best made will leak after time.  I have bought them already made and my husband made me one.  Place it on a cookie sheet if you're going to use a spigot. then you have easy clean up.

Well I do know some NASA design engineers that would design me one that would never leak, I couldn't afford it, but it wouldn't leak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/15/2019 at 4:05 AM, lovelyscents said:

Interesting and very helpful, love that it maintains temperatures and already has a pour spigot.  Also love that it is the same price as a presto (that has no spigot)...the one that holds around the same amount as a presto.  Will be trying one out, thank you so much!

Edit to add: not so much loving the fire aspect 😂

I forgot to mention that the coffee urns are NOT in the same price range as a Presto pot.  You might check ebay.  Bunn makes them.

Think turkey fryer, once I got that I rarely looked at my Presto pots again, lol.  JK I use Presto for Palm and smaller batches when I'm testing.  If you can find a turkey fryer on ebay or at a yard sale with the front spigot they are really worth it.  I got mine on ebay it was used once and when I received it I could tell it looked brand new.  It does take just a bit longer to melt the wax but you can fit 15-20# of wax in, maybe more and get out much bigger batches.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Peggy T said:

This is true. My spout drips a bit so I usually put a piece of paper towel on the floor below it. Still it's worth it for overall ease of use.

Those black plastic type trays from frozen foods work well for floor.  I have a few deep ones like 4" deep.  But after 5-6 yrs mine even leaked around the hole the spout was in.  Of course, I was able to drain it and my husband resealed it for me but if I didn't have that cookie sheet I would have had a big mess the day it leaked!

I got 4 prestos from http://www.magicwaxmelter.com/ and they have lasted fine now for 3 years, no dripping what so ever

I think it was worth every penny to get them ready made..

I buy a few of those drip trays from 99cent store which I put under the spigot on the floor when I'm pouring.. After a year when they are too messed up, and wonky, I throw them away

I mix the fragrance in the pots and then just wipe them with paper towels when done..

• Like 4

Lovelyscents, you certainly could try those as long as they're water jacketed.  They look more like they could handle cookies and coffee in a church basement once a week but if you're going to put them through their paces, I would look for a Bunn urn.  Still a great option for those who don't like or don't have access to a Presto pot.  Thanks for sharing.  We also should mention in full disclosure especially for newbies, using ANY small appliance outside the scope of its intended use can be dangerous.  You're voiding the warranty and legally, if things go horribly wrong, you will have no recourse for remedies.

11 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

Lovelyscents, you certainly could try those as long as they're water jacketed.  They look more like they could handle cookies and coffee in a church basement once a week but if you're going to put them through their paces, I would look for a Bunn urn.  Still a great option for those who don't like or don't have access to a Presto pot.  Thanks for sharing.  We also should mention in full disclosure especially for newbies, using ANY small appliance outside the scope of its intended use can be dangerous.  You're voiding the warranty and legally, if things go horribly wrong, you will have no recourse for remedies.

Not a newbie but have never thought about anything else working other than a presto pot and turkey fryer, so I was interested for a split second.  We all are constantly learning even years into this craft.  It definitely does remind me of being in a church or work meetings 😂