Ordered samples from AAA; has anyone used their FO's

GailC

I've been a member of this board for over 9 years, and I don't remember seeing much, if anything, mentioned about this company.

I did order jars from them a few months ago, and one bottle of FO, because who can order just jars?  I haven't used it yet, but Allspice smells good and strong OOB.

Well, with the sale they're having on samples now (see the details in the Weekly Sales topic), I just decided to try some. So really, it's a little late to be asking if anyone has used their FO's.  :) 

I need another fragrance oil supplier like a hole in the head, but aren't samples fun?  I even like to get out my boxes of samples from time to time and sniff all the scents I have yet to order.  I just hope I live long enough to try all the ones I like.  

• Like 2

@Darbla, It's at a great sacrifice, but glad to be of service.  :)  Who knows, we could all be missing out on all these great AAA Candle Supply FO's at just $14.95 a pound.  Maybe no one's ordered from them because of their generic name.  It's my belief that companies used to name themselves something like AAA plumbing so their name would be first in the Yellow pages when you were looking for a plumber.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CLVC said:

AAA is local to me and I can tell you that most of their oils were misses to me.  

Thanks for the info CLVC.  I may have bought 14  samples for nothing then.  But on the bright side, I won't be tempted to buy larger bottles of FO's I don't need.  :)  I will have to try the Allspice I already have though to see how it does in soy wax.

Here goes nuthin.   

German Chocolate Cake - 1 oz. bottle
German Chocolate Cake1 oz. bottle 1 $1.00
Fireside - 1 oz. Bottle
Fireside1 oz. Bottle 2 $2.00
Cedarwood
Cedarwood1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Irish Mocha
Irish Mocha1 oz. Bottle 2 $2.00
Twisted Holiday - 1 oz. Bottle
Twisted Holiday1 oz. Bottle 2 $2.00
Banana Nut Bread
Banana Nut Bread1 oz. Bottle 2 $2.00
Rose
Rose1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Peach
Peach1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Bayberry
Bayberry1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
California Pomegranate
California Pomegranate1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Georgia Peach - 1 oz. bottle
Georgia Peach1 oz. bottle 1 $1.00
Patchouli - 1 oz. Bottle
Patchouli1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Hazelnut Coffee

Hazelnut Coffee1 oz. Bottle

@franu61, we're in this together.  :)  You picked all different ones from mine.  I searched in a Facebook candle group and AAA FO's got mixed reviews.  Some liked them, some didn't. Sometimes I think we just need to see for ourselves.  I've read posts that say a certain supplier's FO's are weak, when that supplier is one of my main sources of oils.

I seem to remember that Twisted Holiday was a good one according to one poster at least.

• Thanks 1

I bought from them for their 6oz tins and white liquid dye. In that order I did get the Cinnamon but I haven't tried it out yet. It does smell really good OOB. I just placed another order now for these:

Shopping cart
Product image Description Quantity Price
Spiced Mahogany - 1 oz. bottle
Spiced Mahogany1 oz. bottle 1 $1.00
Hawaiian Wind - 1 oz. Bottle
Hawaiian Wind1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Fireside - 1 oz. Bottle
Fireside1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00

Cookies & Cream
Cookies & Cream1 oz. Bottle 2 $2.00
Bayberry
Bayberry1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Cinnilla (50% CV 50% C)
Cinnilla (50% CV 50% C)1 oz. Bottle 3 $3.00
Banana Nut Bread
Banana Nut Bread1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Hazelnut Coffee
Hazelnut Coffee1 oz. Bottle 2 $2.00
Monkey Farts
Monkey Farts1 oz. Bottle 3 $3.00
Hot Apple Pie - 1 oz. Bottle
Hot Apple Pie1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
Leather & Lace
Leather and Lace1 oz. Bottle 1 $1.00
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elegy said:

I have a shipment notice!

Yay!  I had to run and check my email....nothing.  Then it popped up.  At least they've created the shipment label. I understand they are going to be a little slower with shipments during the sale, so that's OK.  I can be in anticipation longer.  :) 

Got my samples today!  Overall I was impressed.  None of them smell weak OOB. I'm not good at describing scents but I'll tell you what I thought.

Didn't like:

Mexican Vanilla - doesn't really smell like vanilla to me

Waterfall - not horrible, just wouldn't order it.  It's supposed to smell like tropical air after the rain

Wouldn't order just because they are similar to FO's I already have:

Hawaiian Wind - a tropical fruity blend that reminds me of Caribbean Escape.  I do like it but don't need another tropical fruit right now.

Sea Petals - this one is a nice citrusy smell, but kind of like Island Spa from Aztec and Cottage Breezes from NG, which I love. 

Might order someday:

Sun Ripened Raspberry - a BBW type

Cranberry Tea - didn't really smell any tea but if I ever need a strong sweet cranberry, this one would work.

Peach Magnolia Raspberry - I think Marketplace from Southwest edges this one out, but I only ordered from them once when I needed a certain jar. Love this fragrance!

Would definitely order: (When I use some more of the full bottles I already have.  :) )

Limon - top of the list, a strong lime!

Lavender Apples & Oak - I have Apples & Oak from NG, but this one is not so predominately apple.  I like it!

Butter Cookies - A rich buttery vanilla

Creamy Vanilla - I really like this vanilla

Spiced Mahogany - Very similar to Candlewic's Mahogany Spice.  The description just says earthy & spicy.  I'm going to order this some day from someplace

Cinnamon Sticks - another good spice scent; still doesn't beat out my favorite though, Cinnamon Stick from CS

Dicken's Christmas - another orange, clove spicy scent, the kind I like for Christmas.

• Like 1

Thanks GailC!

Have you ever tried CS lime cooler?  Wondering how the limon compares.  Does it have any bubbly 7up - ish ness?

Is the mahogany spice a good mens scent?  (I had this in my cart, but narrowed it down..dang it)

Do you smell a little of each in the peach magnolia raspberry?  that one sounds good...how'd I miss it.

Will let you know when I get mine

Mine arrived as well!

These are all right from the bottle.

Oatmeal Milk+Honey: It was described as sweet. Luckily it wasn't overly so. I've been hunting for a good plain milk scent, and this one is subtle. The honey isnt overly sweet and is reminiscent of shea butter.....which I love. It isn't terribly strong.

Nagachampa: Dead on dupe for the incense. Strong.

Tuscan Tobacco: Very mild, not full bodied. Weak.

Marseille Fig: A lovely green fig scent. Strong.

Leather&Lace: Predominantly leather, but a nice one. Background is soft.

Asian Fig: Quite soapy but pleasant

Coconut: Fresh cracked coconut is accurate. Not sickly sweet.

Grass: Fresh cut grass, a hint of crushed ferns. Fantastic.

Lemongrass&Sage: Smells a bit like lemonheads candy, sage is faint.

Magnolia: Truly lovely Mag scent. 

Ocean: Less salty, very spa day. I like it a lot.

White Fig: Hands down, the best fig scent of the 4 I ordered. Very green, and a dang close dupe for Diptyque's Philosykos. 

Turkish Fig: not bad, I dont detect pear or apple, ut perhaps a bit of lemon?

Sage: strong, nice scent

Sandalwood: Why does this smell so much like peanutbutter??

Chamomile: A bit like industrial cleaner. 

Patchouli: Strong and camphorous 

Wisteria: Smells exactly like johnson and johnson's baby shampoo. Like, identical. 

Rose: Smells like a strong rose, a bit generic, not sweet.

Fig Tree: Smells like a pina colada

Jasmine: Indolic, sweet and veering close to urinal cakes. 

Lemon: Candied lemon. Foo.

Cranberry: Grape hubba bubba bubble gum

Clove: nice strong clove, background of cinnamon

Cinnamon Sticks: Red hots. 

Overall, Im into it, but lets see how they do in wax eh?

• Like 1

@Elegy

very curious how the coconut and nag champa does in wax.  I ordered sandalwood too so I will let you know if I smell peanut butter :) EDIT:  oops ordered sandalwood from aztec not AAA, but still will test for PB smell

Edited by franu61

3 hours ago, franu61 said:

Thanks GailC!

Have you ever tried CS lime cooler?  Wondering how the limon compares.  Does it have any bubbly 7up - ish ness?

Is the mahogany spice a good mens scent?  (I had this in my cart, but narrowed it down..dang it)

Do you smell a little of each in the peach magnolia raspberry?  that one sounds good...how'd I miss it.

Will let you know when I get mine

I haven't tried CS Lime Cooler.  I don't think it has 7up ish ness.  Let me smell it again.  I don't think 7up when I smell it.  Strong lime with a little sweetness.

Mahogany Spice is definitly a good men's scent.  I thought it smelled quite like Candlewic's Spiced Mahogany, but now that I've smelled them both again, they are different.  AAA's is more 'earthy. I thought I smelled a bit of orange in Candlewic's and sure enough, I checked the description and it has bergamot in it.  I like them both.

Sorry, I can't tell you if I can smell each one of peach magnolia and raspberry.  I do know that the Peach Magnolia Raspberry I had from Tennessee and the Marketplace (Peaches and raspberries, mixed with hints of magnolias, jasmine, rose and lavender for a wonderful floral & fruity fragrance) from Southwest both smelled heavenly burning.  

• Thanks 1

AAA is local to me and I have found more misses than hits. I use GW 464 and the girls at the front desk will tell you you must use 2oz per pound of any of their fragrance in soy. That’s the first thing that concerned me — but I was there - so YEP bought some FO. Here’s my experience:

leather- strong as anything anywhere. If you need a leather. This is it. 

German chocolate cake - strong and sweet

candy cane - no HT

Frankincense and myrrh - zero HT. And I mean zero. (Still looking for this scent but want frankincense to be stronger than myrrh, which is kinda baby powder-ish)

rosemary mint - HT is ok but I don’t get rosemary or mint. I get generic soap. And not a nice one. 

Pinion Pine - loved this OofB but throw wasn’t strong enough in 464. 

I’m gonna try the rest of them as blends with other companies FO and see if I can salvage. Will be interesting to know what wax y’all are using and your experience with AAA FO once you try — keep us updated! 

Got mine today, yay!  Here is my take on  OOB sniffies:

German choc cake: good!  I can smell chocolate and coconut.

Fireside:  marshmallow sweetness and a touch of fruitiness and fireside.  Not sure I would call this toasted marsh or fireside tho.

Cedarwood:  strong and true, smells just like EO

Irish mocha;  not sure what it should smell like but I LOVE it for my coffee line ..hope it throws in wax

Twisted holiday:  another great coffee scent , peppermint mocha exactly

banana nut bread:  this is ok, a little fake banana-ish.  CS much better IMO

Rose:  very strong powdery rose

Peach:  weak, not peachy at all

Georgia peach:  a little peachiness, not as good as NG's peach perfection IMO

Bayberry:  strong, a little sweeter than I imagine for bayberry

Calif. pomegranate:  weak, ho hum, kind of sweet

patchouli:  smells true like EO not real strong but ok (I hate patch tho)

hazelnut coffee:  good coffee scent, not overpowering hazelnut

Which would I buy again?  The coffee ones for sure, IF they throw, and maybe the german chocolate cake  

@The Candle Nook  thanks for the info.  I use 464 too. Ususally 1 oz p.p.  Maybe I will try tests with 1- 1/2 oz p.p  I sure hope I don't have to use 2 oz per pound, not worth it when there are so many other good FO's out there.   BTW  I like CS's frank & myrhh, not too powdery

Edited by franu61
  • Like 1