Do you prime your wooden wicks?

Do you prime your wooden wicks?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prime your wooden wicks?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

1 hour ago, CandleRush said:

Speaking of wooden wicks I’ve had great luck with them from Northwoods, however, just ordered a bunch from Aztec Candles, they did not stay lit for even 5 seconds. Good thing I tested them before I put them in my wax. Wonder if priming would help! 

I had the same problem. Priming seems to have solved it. 

I drop them into the hot wax in a presto pot. They sizzle, bubble and release a lot of air and moisture. Once primed they burn so much more evenly.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I had the same problem. Priming seems to have solved it. 

I drop them into the hot wax in a presto pot. They sizzle, bubble and release a lot of air and moisture. Once primed they burn so much more evenly.

This sounds much better than the tutorials I've seen on soaking in olive oil.  Saves a step also since you already are melting wax.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lovelyscents said:

This sounds much better than the tutorials I've seen on soaking in olive oil.  Saves a step also since you already are melting wax.

Soaking does not release the moisture, nor does it move out air from the pockets between the wood fibers inside. 

Since ce I started priming m candles burn 100% better. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

According to wooden wick co, they own the patents, so the retailers buy from them. They sue are cheaper from WWCo. 

Wait, wait wait. The wood wicks at Northwoods are the same as Wooden Wick Co?? Which wicks do you use? I've never primed mine, nor have I ordered from Northwoods, but now I'm thinking I should consider both. LOL

2 hours ago, Peggy T said:

Wait, wait wait. The wood wicks at Northwoods are the same as Wooden Wick Co?? Which wicks do you use? I've never primed mine, nor have I ordered from Northwoods, but now I'm thinking I should consider both. LOL

There’s this agreement you’re supposed to click on with the wooden wick company stating they own all the patents. Given the wicks that I have purchased from other places look exactly the same I have to believe it’s true.  Some places list small medium and large as sizes which are just three out of dozens available From The WWC. In the end buying direct from the WWC was far cheaper than other sellers.  Have not looked lately but assume that is still true. 

I bought the pack of all samples from the wooden wick co a few months back. For my current tests in a status jar from the dollar store with my soy wax .02 thick original booster by 3/8 wide is doing the trick. Before priming I would have to use several sizes larger, and they never burned clean or well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arch Rock said:

TT, did you give up on the cottonwoods?

Yes.  I could not get past the terrible lean in soft wax. Plus  they generated soot in my waxes. In harder waxes they were just not pretty or foolproof to burn. 

I may pull them out again one day with hard soy wax, just not today. 

On 2/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, TallTayl said:

There’s this agreement you’re supposed to click on with the wooden wick company stating they own all the patents. Given the wicks that I have purchased from other places look exactly the same I have to believe it’s true.  Some places list small medium and large as sizes which are just three out of dozens available From The WWC. In the end buying direct from the WWC was far cheaper than other sellers.  Have not looked lately but assume that is still true. 

I bought the pack of all samples from the wooden wick co a few months back. For my current tests in a status jar from the dollar store with my soy wax .02 thick original booster by 3/8 wide is doing the trick. Before priming I would have to use several sizes larger, and they never burned clean or well.

Oops, my bad. I totally read that wrong. I thought you were saying Northwood had the same wicks for less. But either way, it never occurred to me that other supply companies would have their wicks. I've never understood the whole patent thing but whatever...I do put a sticker on the bottom of my candle box with whatever the message is that they say you have to include.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:58 PM, TallTayl said:

What pushed you over the edge?

I was still getting tunneling after wicking up, down, and all around.  Four hours for a full melt pool is my standard.  Otherwise, customers give up and assume it's not wicked correctly (which is true).  The splintering and frailty of the burned wicks was giving me anxiety too.  You and I had talked about how the unusual look of the wick might attract educated consumers but now I'm not convinced.

• Thanks 1