Next Craft Fair Coming!

aptommo

I will chime in here as well. I have been working on my packaging/branding for going on 4 years now almost. Not saying this is the norm, just my path I have taken. I am currently on the 12th iteration of my branding, each one getting closer and closer to what I feel is a professional look. After all this time I feel I finally have something I feel is a unified look and feel that stands on its own and doesnt blend in with everything else in my area.  This is MY experience only as I said.

My point being, do not get discouraged. It may take time, well...hopefully not as much time as I took lol but I am overly critical of my branding and packaging. 

Best of luck and keep sending photos with updates! Great work so far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@aptommo  what about adding some silver/light gray  to brighten it up a bit?  It's taken me years and I still tweak my display a bit every year.   It's an ongoing process for sure.  You'll get it figured out the more shows you do. 

3 hours ago, Shari said:

@aptommo  what about adding some silver/light gray  to brighten it up a bit?  It's taken me years and I still tweak my display a bit every year.   It's an ongoing process for sure.  You'll get it figured out the more shows you do. 

You’re so right, it never ends. It takes time to observe the traffic patterns and buying behavior of shoppers.  The psychological barriers are huge, but can become very profitable if turned to your advantage. 

Experience anecdote of the day: 

Think about which products they see first. The first year at the Faire we had a display of votive candles displyed in the money corner (where all traffic seemed to hit first). When people saw $2 candles and further in saw bigger ticket items ($20 large beeswax square pillars) the reactions were nearly always the same. They were SHOCKED that the beeswax candles were sooooooooo expensive. When we reversed the display leading with the $20 item the reactions were reversed. People saw the pillars as sooooooo reasonably priced. Since I wanted to sell more $20 items than $2, guess which way the display stayed that season? 

Moral of the story, don’t lead with the bargains. 

Another bargain thought. We all have some damaged, rough looking or last of the lot items hanging around.  Some collect during the day as the unwashed public drops stuff and pretends nothing happened as they put it back and leave. Every once in a while I stick those in an old chalkboard painted wine crate and tuck it somewhere barely within sight with chalk hand scrawled “bargains”. People like to hunt for bargains, so when they find that crate (which is not “officially” on display) they tend to buy them all, which are priced to still make a profit.

Some how clearly mark every item in that box with something like a sticker or stamp so people don’t try to pass off fresh inventory as bargains. When people mix in fresh inventory with a bargain item and then lie that it is all from the bargain lot it annoys me greatly. Expect people to continue to try to bargain your price down on these. The bargain items are usually the biggest annoyance as that type of shopper is not my target customer and suck up loads of time, and can ruin my day if not mentally prepared. I would rather throw something in the garbage than be treated poorly by someone “doing me a favor and taking it off my hands for a buck”. People value what they pay for.  If you’re not at a flea market, don’t let yourself be treated as if your shop is a flea market. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Laura C said:

@TallTayl thanks for taking the time to share your words of wisdom and experience with us. I have light bulbs turning on, LOL. 

The one good thing about my summer Faire is we have a solid 9 weeks to play with things, so instant feedback.  

The one bad thing is everything that can possibly annoy me happens at the same time... (shoplifting, rude people, drunk people, filthy hands, you name it. )

it has to remain fun and profitable or it will be time to find a new income. Too many hours and $ are spent prepping, working and and and. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi @aptommo

I just wanted to say I think the cloches are adorable.  I saw those online and thought of macarons too!  I think its a great way for maybe not individual packaging, but display, and setting out a row of labeled testers for people to sniff.  Maybe already what you're doing/planning but I just wanted to tell you I think those are adorable, and I would personally like to test scents that way as a customer.  

• Like 2