Next Craft Fair Coming!

aptommo

On 2/14/2019 at 11:42 AM, iansmommaya said:

I wouldn't do the balloons, a ton of people are very allergic to them and I for instance wouldn't do near a booth, indoor or out, with latex balloons.

@aptommo, iansmommaya brings up a good point, but if you really want balloons then you could get some of the mylar balloons instead of the latex ones. Dollar Tree has mylar balloons. A good way to transport blown up balloons is either in a trash bag or a big box so you aren't fighting with them. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, aptommo said:

Here's what I came up with, what do you guys think? Enough variety??

Looks like a nice, wide variety of scents to me but I've never done a show before so I don't know how many different scents is a good number. You have vanilla and lavender in the mix and seems like those are always popular.

Edited by Laura C

On 2/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, aptommo said:

What do you guys think? I bought these hoping my bears would fit in them but it seems my mini cupcakes and macarons are the only thing really able to display. Should I make use of them or return?

1911598821_PhotoFeb1230438PM.thumb.jpg.7e06011cbd7d81c29842a1405dc41028.jpg808123437_PhotoFeb1230446PM.thumb.jpg.79a97a63c41340b7341b72123af359c1.jpg

Those cloches are painfully cute!

Well here it is! My sales were not great but I don't think it was me. All the vendors around me were saying the same thing at the end and the traffic was certainly light through a lot of the day. But I was happy with my table set up! I ended up opening a few of the actual tins so the smell would entice and show off the different shapes I had.

881602b5-5410-4642-aac5-45a22c96d563.thumb.jpg.15b563df1369b4ab5794ca102ef7bef5.jpgb883080d-20f3-4b56-9cc5-c0e6e7d0e53f.thumb.jpg.c66bc41a1c76a668e0210f46d7830796.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Laura C said:

Oh yes, everything looks very nice. Looks like you were able to find an 8ft table cloth. It's a shame you didn't have more traffic and sales.

Walmart! Who knew they carried fitted tablecloths!

2 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

Oh that looks good!

The slow sales sucks, but everything looks really good!

I'm questioning if I should move my next two closer to home. They are a 3 hour drive and it's the same event company so I'm a bit worried it will be a loss if I do.

21 minutes ago, aptommo said:

I'm questioning if I should move my next two closer to home. They are a 3 hour drive and it's the same event company so I'm a bit worried it will be a loss if I do.

I don't have craft show experience but if you are already signed up for them and if you do have the time to go then I'd do it. It gives you more experience and exposure plus then you will know for sure if you want to do those shows again in the future and give you more insight about that particular event company. Just some thoughts.

@aptommo after looking at your photos again I do have a few comments. I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do, just throwing out some ideas. LOL. Like I previously said, you're setup looks nice but I think a few small changes may look even better. I'm looking at this from a customer's perspective.

- Your setup looks pretty dark and heavy, goth like and I don't know if that is what you are going for. The purple and black are pretty but maybe try a white table cloth and have the small purple tablecloth, black trays, signs and such as accent colors. They will show up more against the white.

- I like to see a little life and greenery and you could do that with 2 small fake or real plants. 

- It is not immediately obvious what you are selling. I know you have that 1 big sign but it could get over looked and it's hard to read from a distance. :Werd: If you're allowed, I'd hang a poster board size sign down the front of the table, could be attached to the edge of the purple table cloth. Use nice big letters that simply says "Soy Wax Melts" or "Wax Melts". Instantly, even at a distance, customers would know what you are selling.

- The tins look nice but it looks like you are selling tins or maybe candles in tins. Along with the cupcakes and bears displayed in the clear plastic, you could set out a few clear bowls or trays with misc. melts in them for show & tell.  Right away people can see your pretty product and smell the wonderful scents. 

Anyway, that's the things that I noticed but my husband calls me a super freak so what do I know. LOL :lol:

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Laura C said:

- Your setup looks pretty dark and heavy, goth like and I don't know if that is what you are going for. The purple and black are pretty but maybe try a white table cloth and have the small purple tablecloth, black trays, signs and such as accent colors. They will show up more against the white.

- It is not immediately obvious what you are selling. I know you have that 1 big sign but it could get over looked and it's hard to read from a distance.  If you're allowed, I'd hang a poster board size sign down the front of the table, could be attached to the edge of the purple table cloth. Use nice big letters that simply says "Soy Wax Melts" or "Wax Melts". Instantly, even at a distance, customers would know what you are selling.

- The tins look nice but it looks like you are selling tins or maybe candles in tins. Along with the cupcakes and bears displayed in the clear plastic, you could set out a few clear bowls or trays with misc. melts in them for show & tell.  Right away people can see your pretty product and smell the wonderful scents. 

Anyway, that's the things that I noticed but my husband calls me a super freak so what do I know. LOL :lol:

As I said, I had opened one each of the different scents for people to see, I just did so after the photos were taken. But yes, even then I had to explain to almost everyone what I was selling so that definitely did not help my sales. I really thought it was obvious but the amount of people that even after I said "wax melts" had a blank look on their face until I went on to show them the melter and say something like "candles without the wick" then they were OH OKAY. I really didn't understand that many people never having heard of these before. 

Also I do have a banner for the front of my table but ........ I forgot the pins to hold it on. The only thing I forgot the entire day. I even asked around if anyone had any safety pins or anything but most were using theirs or didn't have extras.

The colors are on purpose but I don't agree that it's too dark or goth?? Also the banner is white so that offsets it a lot when it's hung on there and I'm not dumb and forget the pins. I don't wish to change the colors at all otherwise.

The more I look at the photos the more I want to change things though. It's too strewn across the table. People kept picking up the same tins over and over because they were the closest for them to reach and I had to keep pointing out that there were many other scents and the sniffers at the front. 

The only nice thing about the lack of sales was my next one takes far less prep on supply I guess. I do need to come up with an alternate design but still incorporate the money I've already spent. I can't just keep buying stuff endlessly. I'm running out of cash fast!

• Like 2

The only way to make money at events like this is to be able to attract customers, and pump them through quickly.  Money on small items is made by selling volume - lots and lots and lots of volume. 

Height, color and being blatantly obvious are the three biggest keys. 

A low table sign will not be seen in crowded venues-people are in the way. People are always in The way of tables. Anything below waist height is totally invisible. Raise tables using pvc pipe or something to make them feel less cafeteria or dinner table and more “look at this and buy me now”. 

When setting up look objectively from different points of entry.  Can you see your space? Is it inviting? Does it draw you in like a tractor beam? All craft fair spaces tend to look the same in a crowd. What makes yours different enough to get attention? When you visit a craft show, which other merchants seem to always have a crowd and why?

The psychological feeling of “looking down” onto products on a table play a big part too. Try to figure out how to add significant height to the displays to really be in their faces. People love to buy “top shelf” stuff. They also like the iKea and Lush displays that look abundant. As you grow, think about building custom displays and ditching flat tables. Bakers racks are a good start for height and added focal interest. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aptommo said:

As I said, I had opened one each of the different scents for people to see, I just did so after the photos were taken. But yes, even then I had to explain to almost everyone what I was selling so that definitely did not help my sales. I really thought it was obvious but the amount of people that even after I said "wax melts" had a blank look on their face until I went on to show them the melter and say something like "candles without the wick" then they were OH OKAY. I really didn't understand that many people never having heard of these before. 

Also I do have a banner for the front of my table but ........ I forgot the pins to hold it on. The only thing I forgot the entire day. I even asked around if anyone had any safety pins or anything but most were using theirs or didn't have extras.

The colors are on purpose but I don't agree that it's too dark or goth?? Also the banner is white so that offsets it a lot when it's hung on there and I'm not dumb and forget the pins. I don't wish to change the colors at all otherwise.

The more I look at the photos the more I want to change things though. It's too strewn across the table. People kept picking up the same tins over and over because they were the closest for them to reach and I had to keep pointing out that there were many other scents and the sniffers at the front. 

The only nice thing about the lack of sales was my next one takes far less prep on supply I guess. I do need to come up with an alternate design but still incorporate the money I've already spent. I can't just keep buying stuff endlessly. I'm running out of cash fast!

I have to agree with Laura on this one and agree with TT's suggestions-  Not to be mean or cut it down just hoping to give you the feedback you asked for to make it better

Your display does look a little flat and the colors are just a little too dark, for my taste as a perspective customer anyway- it would be different if you had candle jars bursting with color everywhere to detract from the dark a little -  Adding some white would help tremendously as well as heightening things up, maybe wood crates or tiered shelving - the tins displayed flat especially the ones on trays just don't do anything for me, It is very hard to tell what it is your actually selling or even attracting my eye enough to "want" to know what it is your selling

Opening one of each scent for people to see I am sure helped some but maybe a restructure on adding in some brightness and height will help a lot....and maybe display some samples people can touch and smell rather than opening a tin you have on display for sale- people love to be able to handle what they may purchase

A white banner does not make up for an extremely dark table setup-  maybe some white or even white and purple bandannas rather than the solid dark purple laid out in certain sections will help brighten it up some- signage up up up, balloons don't do anything for me either- a big banner way above your set up would be more attractive imo

you have a good base to work with and you do not have to spend a ton of money to improve on it-- I personally would stack up more more more product on the table, not keeping it underneath hidden yet maintaining a balance of clean and not making it look cluttered - or easily bumped into and falling all over the place, crates are a wonderful tool or even bakers racks like TT suggested

We are doing a trade show right now for our Landscape business and its a little different in respect that we are not selling cash and carry on the spot- we are trying to lure people in to talk to us about what we do sell and gain them as a customer for their future mulch needs -  if we only had a little box of mulch set out on display on a flat table it wouldn't really tell a good story about our product..... we made our booth into a park like setting with brick paved borders showing off the 7 different mulches we have complete with trees, flowers and boulders so the visual is there immediately 

hope that helps some and again I am not trying to be cruel just food for thought on what I see as a perspective customer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

We are doing a trade show right now for our Landscape business...

..... we made our booth into a park like setting with brick paved borders showing off the 7 different mulches we have complete with trees, flowers and boulders so the visual is there immediately

Your booth sounds awesome moonshine I bet it looks beautiful. Even if I wasn't in the market for landscaping I would still visit your booth to get a closer look. I'm nosy and have to check things out or curious as a cat. :lol:  Can you post a picture?

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Here is one side - the other side with the table setup wasn’t finished yet before I had to leave  so tomorrow I will get that pic and hope my people finished it right 😂

Oh yea, that looks very nice and professional. Your people are doing something right, LOL

I see three things right away on that display @moonshine

1) height. I can spot you from across the convention center

2) easy envisioning of how your product suits my needs with a life size color display, how it looks with rocks and trees, etc.

3) you’ve Provided a solution to something important that “my” company faces (keep them on the job site making money)

Looks like a hole in one. 

• Like 2

Thank you for all the critiques! That's why I post pictures here for feedback. I'll never be offended or upset even if I don't agree!! 

And yes, I think I do understand and agree with the darkness of the setup and the fact that my little risers didn't do as much as I envisioned it doing for the height. I'm thinking of ways to fit the color scheme but add some white in and get more height. I'll check back in when I do! :)

• Like 2

Follow up question. Your business name is designer melts. How would you describe your product as designer?

Do you use exotic designer fragrances? Designer shapes? designer packaging? I’m just a little confused about your brand. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Follow up question. Your business name is designer melts. How would you describe your product as designer?

Do you use exotic designer fragrances? Designer shapes? designer packaging? I’m just a little confused about your brand. 

I honestly don't know. It all started because it seemed a cute play on words. I love designer clothes, my previous job was a graphic/web designer and even my license plate is DZINER so when I saw designermelts.com was available I just grabbed it and it went from there. I really didn't look at it from a marketing aspect. But I guess my shapes would be the closest thing to designer since they are all unique to normal clam shell melts?? 🙈

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aptommo said:

I honestly don't know. It all started because it seemed a cute play on words. I love designer clothes, my previous job was a graphic/web designer and even my license plate is DZINER so when I saw designermelts.com was available I just grabbed it and it went from there. I really didn't look at it from a marketing aspect. But I guess my shapes would be the closest thing to designer since they are all unique to normal clam shell melts?? 🙈

Ok so this is a good start to your story. Now play it out. What speaks to you when shopping? Bling? Colors? Run with it. This is the hardest part, but also the most fun. 

Play with packaging. 

Play with shiny displays that scream you and your love of design.  

The dark colors on your display don’t bother me one bit. Lush is all black and they do fantastic! It’s all about the vibe you create with your customers. 

How can you appeal to other designer brand lovers?

• Like 2