Attempted Wicking of 4630

These pictures are of my very first candles made with 4630. I’m using 8oz tins with a 7% load of Vanilla Champagne. This is from the second three hour burn. The first burn was 24 hours after making them and I have to say the HT was very disappointing. It was better this morning so I’m hoping a few days of cure time will solve that problem. I picked three wicks to try, LX16, HTP93, and WI745. All three wicks seem to be a little off center, but the wick tabs are centered so I’m hoping that will lessen as the candles burn down. Right now I’d say that the LX16 is a tad under wicked and the other two look good. If nothing this seems like a much easier wax to wick than 6006.

IMG_2046.thumb.jpg.c83c643c04da0825222ea76f5aca77c3.jpgIMG_2047.thumb.jpg.5a9060436306736dee63456e6b68db05.jpgIMG_2048.thumb.jpg.8ef54759103ec4fd704785e3d81b1771.jpg

Edited by Forrest
pictures

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Out of curiosity, what FO are you using?

I'm not well versed with tins, but those look just a bit over-wicked to me Forrest. I'm curious to what the burn looks like after the midway point. I agree the LX looks pretty good. 

I'm using NG's Vanilla Champagne at 7%. This was at the end of my second 3 hour burn. They have cooled for 5 hours so I'm going to light them up again for another 3 hour burn. If I get another burn in tomorrow I should be able to make a final judgment on them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Looking good all those samples Forest.   If you clip those wicks I  believe you are going to have some beautiful burning candles there.    They are all so similar the burns.

Trappeur

That's a goop point Trapp, as long as I'm just making them for myself the wicks will get trimmed and I could probably make any of those work.

2 minutes ago, Arch Rock said:

Looks like you're getting rid of that 6006 ball and chain.

Oh no, I'm still married to my 6006, I'm just fooling around a little bit on the side. Actually I'm doing this to have something to burn while I give my 6006 candles six months to cure.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paintguru said:

I ended up using zinc core with 4630, but it will be interesting to see how your tests work out.  

My guess is a 44 zinc core would be the best wick here, but I'm out of those until my order from FC arrives. It was cool in my house when I did this test, so all of those wicks will be to big come summer time.

3 hours ago, Forrest said:

My guess is a 44 zinc core would be the best wick here, but I'm out of those until my order from FC arrives. It was cool in my house when I did this test, so all of those wicks will be to big come summer time.

Yup, that's what I use.  My only worry is they are not self trimming (or don't appear to be) and after seeing what my sister-in-law had on her test candle that she never trimmed....I'm starting to worry.  😓

Edited by Paintguru
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Yup, that's what I use.  My only worry is they are not self trimming (or don't appear to be) and after seeing what my sister-in-law had on her test candle that she never trimmed....I'm starting to worry.  😓

I know what you mean, it really gets bad if the FO load is too high.

• Like 1

The HTP93 looks good...I just find that when HTP's get about half way down they start leaning like crazy. Mine have been centered with wick stickers but end up leaning to one side as the melt pool gets larger. Drives me crazy!  Im currently using 6006.

2 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

..I just find that when HTP's get about half way down they start leaning like crazy. Mine have been centered with wick stickers but end up leaning to one side as the melt pool gets larger. Drives me crazy!  

This happens with every single uncored  wick I’ve ever tried. Not only drives me crazy it becomes a safety issue.

I know some people say twisting helps but when I twist a tabbed wick  it always causes added stress at the weakest point: the joint at the top of the wick tab. The whole wick still leans in soft wax because the crimp weakens the structure. Thinking repriming with a high melt point wax to solidify the tab may help. 

Here they are after four burns of three hours each. The LX16 is on the left, HTP93 in the middle and WI745 on the right. To my mind the HTP is clearly to big, but I'm not sure about the other two. I'll try a 44 zinc core when my FC order arrives.

IMG_2055.thumb.jpg.94f6859e556be5e679076efd3c4a58cb.jpgIMG_2049.thumb.jpg.fc71e188e670312bfd5c9f058c43e1f7.jpgIMG_2054.thumb.jpg.e42e7deb5feed6b9b911d88b8faf25bc.jpg

• Like 1

Now you would have thought by looking at the middle one with the htp 93 with the hangup on the sides it wouldn't be burning clear at the bottom..as you know that is going to get hot the middle one.   You just never know.   Keep going Forest....you'll have it down in no time flat.

What scent are these?

Got a question, you probably didn't have scent in these.....so what have you learned by going unscented?   Do you find when adding scent you have to wick up or does it still stay the same unscented?

Trappeur

42 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Now you would have thought by looking at the middle one with the htp 93 with the hangup on the sides it wouldn't be burning clear at the bottom..as you know that is going to get hot the middle one.   You just never know.   Keep going Forest....you'll have it down in no time flat.

What scent are these?

Got a question, you probably didn't have scent in these.....so what have you learned by going unscented?   Do you find when adding scent you have to wick up or does it still stay the same unscented?

Trappeur

I used 7% Vanilla Champagne, I might as well enjoy the burning the test candles. I have to wick up with some FOs and down with others; Vanilla Champagne is one I have to wick down from a 51 Zinc in 6006. The next one I'm going to test is Orange Peel and Cinnamon, which needs wicking up big time in 6006. I'm also going to do a side by side test with 4630 and 6006 to see how much difference there is.

With testing, if someone absolutely positively can’t get down with testing for a baseline with unscented wax, sure go ahead and test with scent.  Compare candles with the same exact scent every time and you can find a baseline.  Jumping to different fragrances slows your testing down tremendously since pretty much every scent burns differently. 

Im going through it again with this year’s wax selection of the best of the worst.  Some have to be wicked up several sizes.  Some down several sizes. Some will carbon and not burn well no matter what the wick is.  When you’re not sure what your fo will do to the burn, it is impossible to get through testing easily. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TallTayl said:

With testing, if someone absolutely positively can’t get down with testing for a baseline with unscented wax, sure go ahead and test with scent.  Compare candles with the same exact scent every time and you can find a baseline.  Jumping to different fragrances slows your testing down tremendously since pretty much every scent burns differently. 

Im going through it again with this year’s wax selection of the best of the worst.  Some have to be wicked up several sizes.  Some down several sizes. Some will carbon and not burn well no matter what the wick is.  When you’re not sure what your fo will do to the burn, it is impossible to get through testing easily. 

I haven't had a chance to establish a baseline in 4630. I didn't want to order any candle supplies during the furlough so I've been short on the wicks I needed. My order from FC arrived last night😀. Next I'm going to do a side by side with 4630 and 6006 with my base wick and no FO. After last nights power burn I know the WI745 is a good wick for that FO for now, I'll have to go down a size when the weather warms

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this?  I'm still screwing around with wicks for this, mostly because I kinda want a self trimming wick.  I've always liked Eco wicks in this wax, but they do seem to dance and throw some smoke when starting a burn.

Edited by Paintguru

5 hours ago, Paintguru said:

Any update on this?  I'm still screwing around with wicks for this, mostly because I kinda want a self trimming wick.  I've always liked Eco wicks in this wax, but they do seem to dance and throw some smoke when starting a burn.

In the end I thought the WI 745 did slightly better that the LX 16, but  there wasn't much difference between them. I poured a candle with the 44 zinc yesterday, but I'm giving it a week before I burn it. I might try an HTP 83 if that doesn't work. I poured some 6006 candles with HTP wicks last week and I offset the wicks a little to make up for the curling, We'll find out how that works next week.