CiaoCiao

Black specs in my coco wax?

Hi everyone!!

I just melted 12 pounds of coco wax in my wax melter and I noticed all these little black specs accumulating at the bottom of pot and slight floating around in the wax .  Is this normal?  

I’m using cal candle supply coco 83

ive never seen this before

B8AB50C2-5670-4B72-A232-92760204F721.jpeg

31DDD570-256E-47E6-AEBC-A2A355ED236B.jpeg

• Like 1

After I poured out the wax this is what the little black dots looked like... gross ....

my candles have have cooled since I poured and the appearance doesn’t seem to be affected but I’m really curious to know what these particulars are 😳

2FF89B2B-FB68-4189-ADA0-56A9498A7483.jpeg

D3CAE597-D2E2-4C98-B798-DE5F610299A2.jpeg

• Like 1

It will be interesting to hear what others say this is.

I've started using paint strainers to pour melted wax from my electric roaster into my pour pots as I was finding little bits of stuff and dog hair in my freshly poured candles.  My HUSBAND'S darn hairy puppy sheds hair all over the house even if she very seldom goes in the basement where I pour.  I often wonder how those of you who pour with cats around avoid cat hair in your wax.  

GoldieMN

Charlie July 2018.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

My HUSBAND'S darn hairy puppy sheds hair all over the house even if she very seldom goes in the basement where I pour. 

Charlie July 2018.jpg

Awh, such a cute puppy. 🐕

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CiaoCiao said:

I just melted 12 pounds of coco wax in my wax melter and I noticed all these little black specs accumulating at the bottom of pot and slight floating around in the wax .  Is this normal? I’m using cal candle supply coco 83

I don't know for sure but they were probably just not careful when they made the wax and that debris got in it. Maybe they didn't notice it or didn't care. I'd contact Calf Candle Supply. Like @GoldieMN said you can use a strainer the next time if it happens again. 

Thank you both.  I’ll give the guys a call on Monday for sure.  

And thanks for the strainer idea.

just another step in candle making LOL people think you just stick a wick in the wax and that’s it ... i wish!! 

I bought mine from them and no, not normal.  It almost looks as if someone dropped the slab before putting it into the bag and it picked up floor debris.  I realize that would be obvious before melting but that's what it looks like.

Thanks @kandlekrazy I’m definitely going to call them Monday.  But as I suspected the slabs have hundreds of speckled debris in them.   It looks like little dead marching ants in the wax LOL 

6E135660-52C2-41C6-97DB-AEB5F99DF2C5.jpeg

6ECB1864-D2C9-45C8-A97D-7E64B73938D1.jpeg

CF22253E-02A3-48F2-8134-E69D021DB2A0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

oh wow, that is weird!  I did hear that they melt the pellets to make their slabs which is weird to me but may have to do with storage?  Personally I'd weigh out the pellets into bags and lay them flat and if the warehouse heat melts them some it would be ok.  IDK somehow debris or insects got into that batch.

Just spoke the guys at Cal Candle and always they are super helpful. I just got a bad batch and he recommended using a paint filter.  Problem solved.  Now I know for the next time!.

Thanks all for your replies!

• Like 1

I hope they are replacing it for you or some kind of compensation.  You shouldn't have to strain it. 

• Like 2