Black specs in my coco wax?

CiaoCiao

Hi everyone!!

I just melted 12 pounds of coco wax in my wax melter and I noticed all these little black specs accumulating at the bottom of pot and slight floating around in the wax .  Is this normal?  

I’m using cal candle supply coco 83

ive never seen this before

B8AB50C2-5670-4B72-A232-92760204F721.jpeg

31DDD570-256E-47E6-AEBC-A2A355ED236B.jpeg

• Like 1

It will be interesting to hear what others say this is.

I've started using paint strainers to pour melted wax from my electric roaster into my pour pots as I was finding little bits of stuff and dog hair in my freshly poured candles.  My HUSBAND'S darn hairy puppy sheds hair all over the house even if she very seldom goes in the basement where I pour.  I often wonder how those of you who pour with cats around avoid cat hair in your wax.  

GoldieMN

Charlie July 2018.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CiaoCiao said:

I just melted 12 pounds of coco wax in my wax melter and I noticed all these little black specs accumulating at the bottom of pot and slight floating around in the wax .  Is this normal? I’m using cal candle supply coco 83

I don't know for sure but they were probably just not careful when they made the wax and that debris got in it. Maybe they didn't notice it or didn't care. I'd contact Calf Candle Supply. Like @GoldieMN said you can use a strainer the next time if it happens again. 

oh wow, that is weird!  I did hear that they melt the pellets to make their slabs which is weird to me but may have to do with storage?  Personally I'd weigh out the pellets into bags and lay them flat and if the warehouse heat melts them some it would be ok.  IDK somehow debris or insects got into that batch.