8 oz. straight sided jars?

1 hour ago, lyssa615 said:

I looked at a few sites and I see 8oz mason jars but not straight-sided jars. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy 8oz straight -sided jars (with metal lids)? 

I get 9 oz straight sided jars that hold 8 oz of wax from Flaming Candle and The Candlemaker's Store.  

Thanks everyone! I guess what I am looking for is a jar that will hold 8oz of wax without looking too full or not full enough.  I found a jar I liked on candlescience's site. If the wax weight (to fill line) is 5.8oz and the volume (to overflow) is 9.3 oz, does it mean that this is an ideal jar to hold 8oz of wax? I'm confused as to what the wax weight/volume means. I was going to call the company but they aren't open until Monday. 

11 minutes ago, lyssa615 said:

Thanks everyone! I guess what I am looking for is a jar that will hold 8oz of wax without looking too full or not full enough.  I found a jar I liked on candlescience's site. If the wax weight (to fill line) is 5.8oz and the volume (to overflow) is 9.3 oz, does it mean that this is an ideal jar to hold 8oz of wax? I'm confused as to what the wax weight/volume means. I was going to call the company but they aren't open until Monday. 

Wax is less dense than water - with each wax having a slightly different density. This means each wax will fill the containers slightly differently.  Water is used to measure the volume of the jars. 

You can estimate somewhat closely using 0.9 as the density of a wax. This means an 8 oz jar by volume will hold 8 oz x 0.9 or 7.2 oz of wax. Some wax will be more dense, some less, but on average 90% (0.9) is pretty close enough.

To complicate things slightly, your fragrance will take up some of that space, meaning you will need less wax.

for an 8 oz tin, by volume my calculations to fill to the line, or a wee bit above requires 6.1 oz of wax and 0.45 oz of fragrance. This leaves a little headroom.

for a 12 oz jar, I need 10 oz of wax and .8 oz of fragrance to leave about 1/4-1/2” headroom. 

If you are set on ising 8 oz of net weight (wax including fragrance) then your jar needs to be around 9-10 oz volume depending on the full line. That would be roughly 7.5 oz of wax and .6 oz of fragrance. Your calculations will vary slightly depending on the fragrance load you choose to use.  More fragrance = less wax and vice versa. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CaptnKush said:

I checked out your supplier and they are mighty expensive. $22 for a case of 24;  $11.00 a dozen!  I get my 9 oz straight sided jars from Flaming Candle for  $5.39 a dozen since I buy over 5 cases.  

But maybe since you live in CA, you pick them up or get cheap shipping.