Christmas Hearth

Paintguru

Candles:

Description:  Very nice fragrance, reminds me of a soft campfire scent.  

wax used: 4630

fragrance load (%) 6.5%

average cure time: 1 week

Wax additives:  None

container: 8 oz straight sided jar

wicking notes: N/A

Cold throw: Good (6 out of 10)

Hot Throw:   Very good (7.5 out of 10)

Morphing: none.

• Registered Users Plus
  • 189 posts

Candles:

Description: 

A classic holiday fragrance that tells the story of a cozy holiday night spent sipping wine in front of the fireplace. Christmas Hearth combines orange spice notes from the kitchen, fir and pine notes from the Christmas tree, and an earthy smokiness from the fireplace.

It's Christmas Eve, in a bottle, any time.

This fragrance is infused with with natural essential oils, including orange, cinnamon, clove, vetiver, and pine. 

wax used: 464

fragrance load (%) 6%

average cure time: 2 weeks

Wax additives: UV

container: 16oz canning jar

wicking notes: N/A

Cold throw:   10

Hot Throw:   10

Notes:Been using for years this scent.   It is quite beautiful.   You can actually smell the fire going in the fireplace when burning.  Is an all time favorite.   If Candle Science is ever short on stock the backup I use is Flamings Christmas Heart as the substitute as there is hardly any detectable difference.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

SOAP:

FO load%: 2.4

Veggie / Animal type fats:  Beef Tallow, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil. 7% Super Fat 

water discount/ lye solution%:  30% water

Acceleration: OH YES

Discoloration: Light Tan

Morphing: None noted. 

Fading: Not so far. 

Other Notes: I adore this scent. It has warm pine, with Christmas spices, orange peel, maybe holly berry,  and a tiny amount of smokiness to it. The IFRA certificate posted by Candle Science on this scent shows that it IS soap safe at 2.4%. Candle Science lists the FO as NON soap safe on the label. I called them up and asked Candle Science about the discrepancy. They told me that because it was under 3% usage rate in soap the FO was labeled non soap safe. The Candle Science Representative clarified that as long as you didn't exceed the safe usage rate indicated on the IFRA certificate it was fine for soap. 

I made that batch in COLD PROCESS soap. It really accelerates the trace VERY quickly. You're NOT going to get any good swirling done in this soap. If you were making a single color soap I think CP would be fine with Christmas Hearth but it DOES curdle the soap. It doesn't quite qualify as ricing but it curdles the soap enough so that it makes a cottage cheese like consistency throughout the bar and especially ON TOP. That curdling is NOT acceptable for my soaps. The curdling effect is strictly aesthetic and doesn't affect the usability of the soap at all. The low 2.4% usage rate leaves most of the sweet, warm, honey like top notes of this complex scent out and you get a more Pine/Evergreen & Holly with a hint of smoke smelling soap. 

Ok so NOW for some classic Sponie BAD IDEAS... :D I made another batch at 3.16% usage rate, ( I know it's "not safe"), and at THAT rate ALL of the sweet warm honey like top notes shine through. That rate didn't bother ME personally, but officially "It AIN'T safe". 

I will be trying this FO in HTFHP because I don't have to use as much FO with HP soap as I do with CP and I think that the 2.4% will still bring out the the sweet warm notes of the fragrance. 

That is all. Please resume  your normally scheduled activities. 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Candles:

Description:  Hard for me to describe.  A hint of pine but not overwhelmingly so.  Definitely a scent for him or her.

wax used: 6006

fragrance load (%) 6.5%

average cure time: 2 weeks

Wax additives:  None

container: 12 oz status jar, 3" diameter

wicking notes: CD 18

Cold throw: Good 

Hot Throw:   Very good

Recommend:  Yes